Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2001 3:21:13 PM EDT
i have heard about this type of weapon. supposed to be super powerfull, almost like a nuke, but no radioactive fallout etc. anybody have any knowledge about these?
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard of them and saw a pic of where one went off.  Wasnt pretty.  Thats all I know.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It is the BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter". Originally designed to clear LZs in Vietnam. It produces an overpressure of 1000 pounds per square inch. Eleven of them were dropped during the Gulf War, initially for clearing mines, then for pure psychological purposes. A British SAS patrol 110 miles from an impact point radioed back to their HQ, "Sir, the blokes have just nuked Kuwait".
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
[i][b]if[/i][/b] that part of the movie "Outbreak" was accurate, the fuel air bomb they used was cool looking, wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.
how long till the ATF uses them [;)]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
All I know is, I don't want to be underneath one when it goes off.  But I hope Bin Laden is...
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
No explosive so large it's dropped from the ass of a C-130 could be considered pleasant, I know that much.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]209.207.236.112/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/fae.htm[/url]

[img]209.207.236.112/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/faeanim.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The FAE would be the baddest weapon we could use in Afghanistan short of Nukes. I woud love to see the before and after shots of a terrorist training camp. We might want to hit south Lebanon too, while we are at it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#12]
If we knew exactly where the "caves" they are hiding in were located, a couple of FAE's would turn the bastards into jelly.  You don't want to be nearby when one of those goes off!!

A friend of mine tried a little pyro experiment when we were kids. He filled a trash bag with acelylene and O2 and set it off with a model rocket igniter. It blew him clear off his feet and he was like 50 yards away. Cops didn't think it was too funny though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If we knew exactly where the "caves" they are hiding in were located, a couple of FAE's would turn the bastards into jelly.  You don't want to be nearby when one of those goes off!!

A friend of mine tried a little pyro experiment when we were kids. He filled a trash bag with acelylene and O2 and set it off with a model rocket igniter. It blew him clear off his feet and he was like 50 yards away. Cops didn't think it was too funny though.
View Quote

We all had fun with pyrotechnics when we were kids! This would probably get him a life sentence in today's PC "zero tolerance"(zero common sense) world.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

We all had fun with pyrotechnics when we were kids! This would probably get him a life sentence in today's PC "zero tolerance"(zero common sense) world.
View Quote

Which is why I live in the country...
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, the FAE's are quite nasty!  Not comparable to a thermonuclear device, but about the next nastiest thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't they come in bigger sizes than 15,000lbs?
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Current US FAE devices use ethylene oxide as a fuel source.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw a show about FAE's on the History Channel... they said that one of the side effects of an FAE explosion is that even if you are not directly under the blast, you may still die as the FAE's burn up all the Oxygen in the immediate area.

This was stated when FAE's were released in a multiple strike.

M.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Just because I do this at home doesn't mean you should!!!!

My first experience with a home-made FAE was with the family barbecue.  The coals were glowing a little, but not getting hot fast enough, and there was no open flame.  I figured that a little "acceleration" was in order, so I go and get a cup (8 oz) of regular gasoline from the shed.

When I tossed the gas on the coals, I did not get the expected flame. Instead, I got a large white cloud that drifted across the yard.  Still angling for that elusive Darwin Award, I struck a match and tossed it into the barbecue.  The white cloud immediately, and very loudly, exploded.  Voila! Homemade FAE.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#21]
FatMan, how long did it take for your eyebrows to grow back? [BD]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I dont think the BLU-82 is a FAE, cause it is a blast/fragmentation device that has 12,600 pound Aluminum Powder Warhead for a total weight of 15,000 pounds. To my knowledge a fuel air device sprays aresol and then ignites it for a huge fireball.
View Quote

That's my understanding too.  Anybody from the midwest knows how devestating a grain elevator explosion is.  This works on the same principle.  Very fine particulates (in this case FLAMMABLE particulates) are released from a bomb in the form of an aerosol to form a cloud and then ignited.  The result is a devastation trifecta: 1) The initial concussion/explosion, 2) firestorm, and 3) (my favorite) a localized vacuum that results from the explosion.  The negative pressure can literally rip the lungs out of the mouths of its victims.

Should work against an enemy entrenched in caves, don't you think?
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#23]
They don't have triple canopy jungle in Afghanistan do they?

Maybe we can use 'em to bust up some rocks?
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just because I do this at home doesn't mean you should!!!!

My first experience with a home-made FAE was with the family barbecue.  The coals were glowing a little, but not getting hot fast enough, and there was no open flame.  I figured that a little "acceleration" was in order, so I go and get a cup (8 oz) of regular gasoline from the shed.

When I tossed the gas on the coals, I did not get the expected flame. Instead, I got a large white cloud that drifted across the yard.  Still angling for that elusive Darwin Award, I struck a match and tossed it into the barbecue.  The white cloud immediately, and very loudly, exploded.  Voila! Homemade FAE.  

View Quote

Did you make sure to announce before hand "Hey y'all, watch this!!!"
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's pretty damn funny, gus!
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I would think a "Daisy Cutter" would be far more effective than a FAE.  After all, the british mistook daisy cutters for nukes during desert storm, or so they say...
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would think a "Daisy Cutter" would be far more effective than a FAE.  After all, the british mistook daisy cutters for nukes during desert storm, or so they say...
View Quote

Andy Mcnab said it was a FAE.  I used to put gas in an atomizing bottle and knock flies and bees out of the air (man was I lucky)
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#28]
btt
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#29]
The FAE was developed at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.  Your tax dollars are being put to good use!  The FAE is two bombs in one. The first explosion atomizes the fuel portion of the bomb like the previous posts have stated.  A secondary explosion then ignites the fuel. All oxygen in the immediate area is burned in the explosion. If it was exploded over a bunker or cave, the occupants would probably end up dead.  If the Allies has the FAE during Dday, they could have cleared out all the German defenses with a few strikes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#30]
GOD BLESS THE USA!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#31]
one more time [:D]

Fire Good!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#32]
All I know is that I LIKE IT.  Nice big spray of death rain, then KABOOM.  Think of all the flying carpets (Read Turbans)it creates.
hahahahhahhaa

Fuckie youie Mr. Taliban.
[-!-]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#33]
,y wife tried to make me rich a few years ago by setting off a Fuel air off in the back yard....The story goes like this-the was getting ready to burn some limbs so she doused them good with Kerosene she thought (Actually Lacquer thinner) she went in the house to hunt up a Bic lighter and after finding one she went back out in the yard and on the way to the limbs she tried the lighter to make sure it worked--the insuing explosion shook all the houses in the neighborhood and knocked her off her feet-singged her hair good and blistered around her nose and face....from then on i'm in charge of all burning.....Dick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top