Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2001 11:51:23 AM EDT
Guys,
What kind of pysch exam does the Military have?  I ain't the sanest person, but I have been getting therapy.  This ain't a cop out, just curious.
Thanks,
Ice
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that you have to take
the MMPI test.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think that you have to take
the MMPI test.
View Quote

He's lying.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He's lying.
View Quote

No,
YOU are.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I know of a chick who is schizophrenic who joined the marines without a problem.

GET THERAPY!! GEEZ!

(just kidding)

good luck.

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you might have to lie about your therapy,  other than that, you are good to go.

You will be in good company.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]
After four years of service, I can safely say....

I've never met a Marine who wasn't at least a little crazy.

Merry Christmas All!
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#10]
The only psychological testing I've had in the military was for sniper school. It consisted of MMPI, interview, and background. I know if you want to go SF or something similar that you also need a psych test.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's lying.
View Quote

No,
YOU are.
View Quote

Calm down dude, I think you both may be right..

I had to take an MMPI test before I could become a Deputy Sheriff. That test is soooo long, and soooo boring. I remeber a couple of the questions were very funny, e.g. if a horse won't plow would you beat it? and do the voices in your head tell you to kill your parents?

Heheh..

Ian
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:28:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Been in 16 years now with out any type of psyc exam, yae a few med exams but im in no ways bonkers....

yes I am...

no Im not...

yes....

Have no fear, As most here have stated what they dont know they cant hold aginst you. dont tell them and welcome to the rankes of the REAL AMERICAN HEROS.

jim
[(:)]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:50:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Most folks in the Military will not hold a job that requires a psych eval. Certain units do require them as part of the selection process and also periodically while assigned.  
the MMPI (Minnesota Multi phasic ____?) was one test used. It's kind of archaic and, I believe, originally designed to ID kleptomaniacs. The first 3 or 400 questions supposedly give a profile of general personality traits. Not used much any more.

There are other tests now given that paint an accurate picture of the individual by combining IQ and personality tests into a single matrix. The shrinks are quite confident that there is a high degree of accuracy. I've been told that the results are generally accurate for about 6 months or one traumatic event (which ever comes first!)

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#14]
In the Navy I don't know of any phyc exams. If you're a lil nutty might I suggest bomb disposal.

Also wanted to add, that they do a background check. So if you have been institutionalized and are taking any meds that might disqualify you. If you go for a clearance you will have a very thorough background check.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#15]

The
Minnesota
Multiphasic
Personality
Inventory.

Take a peek at what it
is used to uncover.
[url]http://assessments.ncspearson.com/assessments/tests/mmpi_2.htm[/url]

It tries to trick people into giving
the answers that they think
are the right ones.

I easily "passed" it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I easily "passed" it.
View Quote

Yeah,
but only because I helped.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I easily "passed" it.
View Quote

Yeah,
but only because I helped.
View Quote

Hahahha....The best laugh I've had all day!!

Ian
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually,

upon 10 yrs in the military I got a psych exam on the way out.  I was in Camp Pendleton at the time & a very nice (make that good lookin') lady type psychiatrist administered my exam.  Her results were shocking:
- I had a need for control
- I had aggressive tendancies
- I would not work well all alone & needed a Team of others around me
- I would not be happy unless in charge of others

My comments back to her were:
1) You should have given me this before handing me a machine gun
2) That seemed to be a requirement for a Marine Corps Officer

She had no reply & simply smiled & said good bye.  She would not give me her phone # either.  Oh well, I have adjusted nicely since then....
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top