Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2001 6:58:15 PM EDT
Why do YOU need an ar-15, or any assault rifle for that matter?

I'm doing a research paper for school and would like your guys input on this.  Pretend I am an ignorant liberal who wants to take away your assault rifles.

Why do you need one?  

You don't need a military rifle for hunting.  

You can just use a .22 for target shooting.

A military assault weapon is a bit excessive for home defense, and could go through walls to hurt innocent people, a shotgun will do just fine.

Assault rifles are just used for mass murders and by terrorists.

I firmly believe in the right to bear arms and hope to get an ar-15 very soon and din't mean those comments, but I'm interested in what you guys would say to counter that arguement.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I only NEED food, clothing, shelter, and perhaps some sort of weapon to defend those.  

I do not need to justify anything I WANT, as long as obtaining or posessing it does not infringe on the unalienable rights of others.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Opesus,
  I NEED one, Cause I have the RIGHT, It doesn't make much sense, But thats my Justification!

-Jared
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
1-I need one becuase i can own one.
2-I dont hunt with it i target shoot with it.
3-A 22 is fine but you cant shoot out ro 600yds.
4-For home defense i have 30 rnds instead of 6.
5-Illegally obtained rifles are used by mass murderers and terroists(they are phrohibeted from firearm ownership.
6-A true assualt rifle is of mid size and has the ability to fire full auto,burst,and semi auto.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a marksmanship instructor in the Marine Reserves (soon to be an active duty officer). I have an AR, an AK, and other rifles so I can be proficient in as many weapon systems as I can. It could save my life and the lives of my fellow Marines one day.

There is a difference between NEEDING something and having the right to own something. Ask them, why to they NEED to deny me, as a law abiding citizen, from owning such firearms???
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]
You hoard spagettios too?  [:D]
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Opesus is a troll
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I know I don't need one opesus, just like I don't need to put my size 13 boot up your ass, I WANT to both own an AR-15, and I WANT to put my boot up your ass, I hate trolls with a passion, and you, sir, are a troll.

I can own what I damn well want to, like a bike that will go 180 mph, and buy my Girlfriend a Size 36DDD chest, not becuase I need to, but because I want to.

Now GET THE FVCK OUT OF THIS FORUM ASSHOLE!
[pyro]
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I Don't need one...now anyway. I have one in the event I may need it. I have a pistol for home defense, a shotgun for hunting, and should the red chinese army come marching down my street...I will have an ar15 to defend my family and neighbors. I sound like a quake, I know. But considering the previoous administration...is it that far fetched?  We all know the 2nd amendment calls for a well regulated militia...according to the federalist papers...the militia is comprised of every able bodied man, not just the regular army
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
BTW, even if opesus is a troll....give the guy a break....we win more friends on our side by giving well thought out arguments than by sticking size 13 boots up peoples asses.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I need one because sometimes vermin wear kevlar
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]
-Same reason most girls like the Super Duper Model 5000 hair dryer.
-Same reason some people like muscle cars.
-It is my right to enjoy working on a gas operated, black, centerfire mechanism.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Opesus,
Answer this: Why did you vote for Al Gore?

Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]
They exist.
They are affordable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]
P.S.

If you are really doing a research paper I

would suggest you stop refering to the ar15

as an assault rifle. It is not!
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Out!  Out ! Out damned troll !
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#17]
As for using an AR for home defense, personally I think it's better suited to that task than typically believed.  My god, the liberals are sitting there saying these guns are only intended to kill people, EXCUSE me but hey McFly if you've got an intruder in your home and you are defending yourself what do you want in your hands?  Honestly?  You want whatever is going to put that threatening menace to the ground.

As for it being a rifle round and over penetrating and going through walls and killing lots of other people, it is actually shown to not happen because there are rounds out there designed specifically so they WON'T over penetrate or they will break into bits if you happen to miss and you hit a wall.   Follow this link to see what I'm talking about,
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=4933[/url]

I talk about my personal opinion on using an AR for self defense in that thread as well.  The thing that stops a lot of us from wanting to use the gun is first it is significantly louder than that of a handgun or shotgun, the idea of going deaf for the rest of your life because you used such a loud gun indoors to defend yourself isn't a very appetizing thought.  Worse yet is the fear of lawyers that most of us have if we used one of these guns for defense even in a legally justified situation of selfdefense.  The fact that you were justified in the legal sense of the law and don't have any criminal charges levied on you doesn't mean that a civil court case won't be brought against you by the surviving family of the victim, THINK OJ SIMPSON!

As for no sporting use of an "assault weapon", follow this link and you'll more than likely get a firm understanding of how I feel on the matter.  I have an INCREDIBLY accurate AR15 that can out shoot most accurate bolt actions.  The reason why I choose to shoot an AR15 while out shooting squirrels is more than summed up here, [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=452[/url]

I do my best to change the attitudes of those out there who try to ask logical questions about why a person would want to own an "assault weapon."  Those who are open minded and rational can usually see where I'm coming from and have no problems what so ever with it once I've explained it.  Those who aren't open minded or have been brain washed into thinking guns are evil or bad and that certain firearms are more "evil" than others, those are the people where it is only a waste of time trying to explain my position on the matter.

Technically there are those out there who will argue that I don't need ANY firearm.  You can begin to use that rationale for a ton of different things with regards to firearms, when it comes down to it it is a right and not a priviledge.  Some people don't understand that though.

As for using a 22lr. to shoot targets, the targets I shoot are so far away that a 22lr. is hopelessly inaccurate at those distances.  People who don't understand would ask why I need to shoot targets at such a far distance, but they just don't understand and likely never will.

There is just nothing you can do when it comes to the "wacko" types that believe all guns are bad.

The girls I've taught to shoot usually love the AR15 because it's easy to load and doesn't recoil at all.  When a woman is learning to shoot the first thing they seem to always ask is "does it kick" and then followed by "how loud is it?"   When you drop one of those big 223Rem or even bigger 308Win rou
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm an avid wild hog hunter and the AR15 is my bacon maker of choice .... hey ... a guys gotta eat something with those eggs [:D]
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Because "the new world order" would try to infringe on my god given rights, as clearly stated in the constitution.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#20]
They can be used to support and/or capture heavier weapons!
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Because everytime I fondle mine I get an erection.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Opesus-
Why do YOU HOPE to get an AR15 soon?

Why does a dog lick his d!ck?
Because he CAN.

Need and Want are irrelevant.  Ability is #1.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#23]
UglyGun said basically what I had to say.
I prefer the AR because its accuracy beats a handgun and there is ammo available that won't overpenetrate, e.g. Glasser Safety Slugs.
I prefer the ergonomics of the AR over most rifles and it has a better range and better long range accuracy to a 22. Also, please make sure that it is understood that the AR is not a fully automatic firearm - Assault Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#24]
ALL YOUR AR-15'S ARE BELONG TO US
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1426605&a=10683359&p=38080284[/img]
i own them because i can. have you ever seen a more happy fellow?
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#25]
To be perfectly honest, it never occurred to me that I needed an AR until some prick-headed elected official started talking about how I shouldn’t have one. I immediately bought two. Those, of course, spawned more. The same thing happened to several friends. It is some kind of reflex response to bullshit. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 3:27:57 AM EDT
[#26]
...for the same reason that I need a car that can go 100mph.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 4:38:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I own one because the 2nd amendment gives me the right.  

"IT'S NOT ABOUT NEED"

Warlock
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:14:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Why do I NEED an AR-15????

Actually, what I need is an M-16.

I NEED to be able to compete with whoever would BREAK THE LAW in acquiring their weapon of choice to harm me or my family. I also NEED to be able to compete with any force that would invade the US with hostile intentions. You see, I regard my RIGHT to own ANY firearm I choose as not just a right but a RESPONSIBILITY to defend my country, as a citizen soldier.

Now a question for you - What part of "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" do YOU intepret as being a "need based" provision in the Second Amendment???
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
To be perfectly honest, it never occurred to me that I needed an AR until some prick-headed elected official started talking about how I shouldn’t have one.

I immediately bought two. Those, of course, spawned more. The same thing happened to several friends. It is some kind of reflex response to bullshit. Keep up the good work.
View Quote

I bought an AR for the EXACT same reason. My best friend was crowing about them, but I always thought of them as "Planet of the APes" guns.

Then some arrogant bass turd started talking about how HE THOUGHT I didn't need one. What does he know???

I have the same problem with my AR's. They breed like rabbits, man!!!!!!!!   [:D]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#30]
If you are writing a paper for school, Why don't you go look up the information in a public library? By the way, my rifles only fire semi-auto. they are NOT ASSAULT RIFLES!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#31]
There is no requirement to justify a citizen's "NEED" to exercise a RIGHT.
If there was such a requirement, all of our rights under the U.S. Constitution would be at the whim of those in power at any given time.
>
If the second amendment was as fervently defended by the liberals, as the First and Fourth, gun ownership would be mandatory.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Because it displeases people like Rosy O'Donnell...
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Why would anybody even care?  Hey, why do YOU need FREE SPEECH?  You might say something that hurts somebody's feelings and brings a tear to their eyes.  Tell your idiot "instructor" you are going to tape his class and then any words that are the slightest bit offensive to anyone will get reported to the government.  Nobody NEEDS FREE SPEECH.....do they?  You can easily get by with just plain old "speech".  If you assault anyone with words you should be arrested and prosecuted...especially if you are critical of the federal government.  Oops...I guess I'm wrong on this one because FREE SPEECH IS A RIGHT...NOT A PRIVILEGE GRANTED TO YOU BY THE GOVERNMENT.  Oops...and lookee here...the SECOND RIGHT IS THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS...AND IT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT AR-15s or ASSAULT RIFLES.  IN FACT THIS RIGHT IS GIVEN TO YOU BY YOUR CREATOR...AS IS THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH....AND SINCE THE CONSTITUTION IS STILL THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND...ALL OTHER LAWS ARE NULL AND VOID REGARDING THIS ISSUE SINCE CONGRESS CAN MAKE NO LAWS THAT INFRINGE ON THIS R-I-G-H-T.  PERIOD.  END OF STORY.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#35]
So as to insure that our goverment stays chained to the walls of it`s Constitutional prison, and safe guard our system of, by, and for the people. Besides, I like them:)
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Pikepole:

I just have a severe disliking for trolls, I don't mind him asking questions, but to come in here half cocked, and talk about terrorists and needs pisses me off!

Colt:

Not many times do I feel woefully inadequate, after seeing that picture was one of em [:D]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#37]
How about:
because i like collecting 40 year old, antique, retro hardware designs.

ask me why i NEED an OICW...
[img]http://www.atk.com/defense/descriptions/products/Shoulder-firedWeapons/images/oicw-labeled-1.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.atk.com/homepage/products/main.htm#Objective Individual Combat Weapon[/url]
(because the Bill of Rights requests the orderly militiaman obtain parity with common national footsoldier hardware)

dZ
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Besides the obvious 2nd ammend and freedom of choice, here are my reasons:

A mil type rifles are what I chose to collect when it comes to firearms. People have different taste. A mil type rifle is built differently from your regular rifles and therefore adds to its character.

Its like some people like luxury cars(o/u skeet shooter guys) and some like sports cars(mil type weapons)

Mil type weapon can and are used for hunting. Mil type weapons are used in competitions. Mil type weapons can be used in home defense far more effective than other weapons. This is due to its looks. It is more intimiditing than other rifle and therefore will halt a bad guy without even firing a shot. Can you imagine going into a house only to find a husband a wife team pointing an AR15 at you complete with laser sights? That would be enough to have me poop in my pants on the spot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I need one because it fits just perfect into the electric gun rack in my JBT Squad car.  Also, its an awesome weapon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I NEED one because a bunch of bleeding heart flaming liberals don't think I need one.
'nuff said.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Simple,

Because I can!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why do YOU need an ar-15, or any assault rifle for that matter?

I'm doing a research paper for school and would like your guys input on this.  Pretend I am an ignorant liberal who wants to take away your assault rifles.

Why do you need one?  

A military assault weapon is a bit excessive for home defense, and could go through walls to hurt innocent people, a shotgun will do just fine.

I firmly believe in the right to bear arms and hope to get an ar-15 very soon and din't mean those comments, but I'm interested in what you guys would say to counter that arguement.
View Quote

Why we need an ar-15 rifle?
Well some people like other hobbies car, boats, etc.
I'm a gun enthusiastic and this is my hobby.
What is wrong to have one and have some fun?
Or maybe because you don't have one or the opportunity to shot one of this AR-15 ares comment this arguments?

Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#43]
why do you need a lexus,cadillac, bmw,mercedesetc. when you can drive a hugo?
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#44]
The question is more appropriate if we should have or shouldn't have the right to own and bear arms. If I have the right to own and bear arm then I should have the choice of what I own or not to own.  That's what we called the "Freedom of choice".  That is what so great about America, the U.S.A.  Our freedom and rights are guaranteed and protected by the Constitution of the United State of America.  No one can take that away from us, no one. Assault or not assault weapon is irrelevant, do I and don't I have the right to own and bear arm, that's is the question!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#45]
The question is more appropriate if we should have or shouldn't have the right to own and bear arms. If I have the right to own and bear arm then I should have the choice of what I own or not to own.  That's what we called the "Freedom of choice".  That is what so great about America, the U.S.A.  Our freedom and rights are guaranteed and protected by the Constitution of the United State of America.  No one can take that away from us, no one. Assault or not assault weapon is irrelevant, do I and don't I have the right to own and bear arm, that's is the question!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Why do you need one?
[b]I have a RIGHT to Protect and Defend the Constitution of the Republic of the United States of America. You should read the Constitution sometime.[/b]

[b] It Is NOT about Hunting.[/b]

[b]It Is NOT about target Shooting[/b]

[b]It IS NOT just about Home Defense, Who are you to say what I can have to Protect MY home. With proper Ammo, it is just as safe as a shotgun or handgun for home defense[/b]

[b]Just for mass murders and terrorists, leftist propaganda mis-infomation HYPE.[/b]

Most of your questions are from the anti-gun mis-information HYPE propaganda campaign, and has Nothing to do with Why the Second Amendment was written into the Constitution.

It is a Balance of POWER, We the People have the Power over the government.

^
www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master
www.DigitalAngel.net/da_patent/index.htm

Never Again, Never Forget

Seek the Truth
Liberate Your Mind

FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#47]
It is more appropriate to The question if we asked ourself should we have or shouldn't we have the right to own and bear arms. If I have the right to own and bear arm then I should have the choice of what I own or not to own.  That's what we called the "Freedom of choice".  That is what so great about America, the U.S.A.  Our freedom and rights are guaranteed and protected by the Constitution of the United State of America.  No one can take that away from us, no one. Assault or not assault weapon is irrelevant, do I or don't I have the right to own and bear arm, that's the question!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#48]
To exercise my Bill of Rights. I speak my mind (1st), when asked by leo questions I do not answer (5th), & most of all to piss off the Liberals. I never wanted an AK 'til they wanted to ban import of parts. Now, I've got 3AKs among other things.

ACGUNNER

PEACE IS A LONG FORGOTTEN DREAM
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Btw, it's not about need, it's about WANT. I could take the bus, but I have a vehicle. I could sleep on a bare floor, but I sleep on a bed. I could have dropped out of school, but I WANT at least a college level education.

It's not need, it's WANT.

ACGUNNER

PEACE IS A LONG FORGOTTEN DREAM
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Jesus H. ****ing christ, Colt!
LOL!

What the hell?? Did you win the lotto or something?

Man, I hope we can hang out someday!

McColt
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top