Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2007 6:29:36 AM EDT
Over the holidays I went to my parents house to get married. While I was there I went down to the local small town gun shop to check out what they had. Since this is a very small town and people there don't have much disposable income, there are usually some pretty cool older guns w/ decent prices.

There are two owners of the store. One of them is a pretty sharp guy. He does all the gun-smithing. Let's call him Joe. The other guy is a dumb-shit. Let's call him Bob. Last year I went to this store at X-Mas and found a NIB Colt 6920 and a really sweet pristine 1950's era Colt Woodsman that was in the original box. I bought them both and had them shipped to my local shop in Texas. Dumb-ass Bob made the sale and said he'd pack em up and ship them. When the box arrived, Bob had put the Woodsman in it's original box and then put that box in the box with the AR15. Since the Woodsman was free to slide around inside of the original flimsy box, it quickly busted through through the end of it's box and was loose inside of the AR15 box......all the way to Texas. FOOKIN IDIOT!!!! Luckily there were only a few minor scratches, but the Woodsman original box was messed up badly.

Back to present day. So I'm in the shop and I see four really nice 1900's era handguns that I am interested in buying. Joe is out and dumb-ass Bob is helping me. I have been itching to use my new C&R license so I ask Bob if he can ship me any of these guns if I give him my C&R license. Bob says in an authoritative tone: "Oh no!!! A C&R license is only for black powder weapons. All of these gun use a modern cartridge. We can't ship em to you unless they go to an FFL.".

About that time Joe walks in and I try to get him to work with me on the sale. I ask Joe about shipping the guns with my C&R and he says no problem. Then Bob the dumb-ass says that state law won't allow it because the state law  supersedes Federal law. After some discussion, they decide that it's OK to ship me these 4 pistols using my C&R license. I pay for them and ask Joe to please pack them personally and not to let Bob do it given what happened last year.  I also tell Joe that I won't be back home until Jan 1st and to schedule the delivery after that. Joe says he'll get the shipping charges and charge my credit card once they ship.

When I returned home I called the gun store on Jan 2nd to get the tracking number. I spoke to dumb-ass Bob and asked him to email it to me. He said he did not have it handy but he'd email it to me later that day. He said federal law required that he ship the handguns "Saver" so I should have them by Friday.

This morning I still had not received the tracking number via email, so I call the gun store and Bob answers. He said he hasn't shipped the box yet because he needed payment for the shipping. WTF????????????? I'm like "Joe said you'd charge my credit card. Why didn't you call or email me if there was a problem?". Bob says: "Well I dropped the ball. My bad."  I ask him to overnight the package so I could have it tomorrow since I'd be here all day to accept it, and that I'll be working next week. He says that "federal law requires that he ship the package "saver" and that he can't overnight it". WTF????? After some discussion he agrees that he'll overnight the package. I'm betting he fooks this up and my package doesn't arrive tomorrow.

I really do wonder how some people make their way in life.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#1]
<Entire original post quoted>

Through the tolerance of others who pick up their slack for them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Over the holidays I went to my parents house to get married.  

so thats how it works in your family

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]
He probably sleeps much better at night than you or I. Probably to stupid to realize there are things to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
glad to see its not just me that deals with this shit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My fiancée and I traveled to my parents for the holidays, and got married in their home with only close friends attending.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Everyone wants guns in gun shop to the REALLY cheap.  That means they need really cheap employees.  What kind of employee do you think you get for "really cheap"?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Please tell us what store in Tx this is so we can watch out for "Bob" should we ever happen into said store.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My fiancée and I traveled to my parents for the holidays, and got married in their home with only close friends attending.

congrats on that and good luck on the guns
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Please tell us what store in Tx this is so we can fuck with "Bob's" head should we ever happen into said store.

My way is more enjoyable
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Saver is "UPS RED SAVER" its the cheapest overnight you can purchase. It has a guarenteed 5:30 pm delivery as compared to standard RED which is 10:30.  no worries
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well, YOU keep going back for more............
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#12]

"federal law requires that he ship the package "saver" and that he can't overnight it". WTF?????  

Aren't you supposed to overnight handguns?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Everyone wants guns in gun shop to the REALLY cheap.  That means they need really cheap employees.  What kind of employee do you think you get for "really cheap"?

Bob and Joe own the store.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's a texas thing, really...
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, YOU keep going back for more............

I'll post pics of the 4 guns when/if they arrive. When you see them, you'll understand. One is a minty nickle break-top S&W .32 revolver in the original box, made in the late 1890's. Another is a minty blued break-top S&W .32 revolver made around 1900. Another is a minty H&R self loading .32 ACP made around 1915 (Webley and Scott patent).  The last is a mint all matching Swiss 1882 7.5mm ordinance revolver. It's not like you can find these kind of guns anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

"federal law requires that he ship the package "saver" and that he can't overnight it". WTF?????  

That's what I thought. Bob told me "saver" would take 3 or 4 days.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. I ship handguns USPS Priority Mail all the time. UPS and Fedex have policies requiring Next Day Air because they employ thieves.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. I ship handguns USPS Priority Mail all the time. UPS and Fedex have policies requiring Next Day Air because they employ thieves.

only Liscened people can ship USPS
Rules
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I though the fiancee was going for the "monster megabuck wedding"? How'd you changer her mind?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#22]
The Swiss revolver piques my interest. How much did those four guns cost, in total?

Also- WTF is up with my post being edited?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I though the fiancee was going for the "monster megabuck wedding"? How'd you changer her mind?

31 people ended up attending for the two day event. By the time it was all said and done, I am guessing my total bill was about $12K including the 3 day honeymoon at the Biltmore House Inn.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Repeat customers.

57strat - What state is their store in? You could probably have walked out with the 6920 since it is a rifle.

AZ-K9 - Welcome to the un-convicted felons club.

Many states away. Even if I could carry them out, I didn't want to hassle with checking them on a plane to return home.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The Swiss revolver piques my interest. How much did those four guns cost, in total?

The two revolvers were about $390 each, the H&R was $180 and the Swiss revolver was $300.

Here's a pic of what the Swiss revolver looks like:

The Model 1882 Ordnance Revolver

Barrel Lenght: 4.5"
Overall Length: 9.25"
Weight: 28oz.
Caliber: 7.5 Ordnance
Capacity: 6 rds
Action: Double Action Revolver

The Model 1882 was another of Colonel Rudolph Schmidt's designs (not a Nagant design as many believe.)  The revolver was designed around the 7.5 caliber round.  The 1882 was a simple and effective design, with at least one example remaining in service until 1964.  Model 1882 with serial numbers under 20,000 were fitted with plastic grips. Model with serial numbers over 20,000 had wood grips.  

I am most excited about the $180 H&R pistol. Here is what they look like. Quality rivals that of an old pre-war Colt.

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Give him this pic next time he starts his crap.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#28]
i recently had a heck of an experience with a gun shop in Conn. who was advertising online. when calling there, the employees sounded like they had an iq of about 62. and none of them seemed smart enough to pick up the phone and call me when they had trouble (even though i asked them too). it took two days to get an order out, when it should have gone out the first day............

not that i'm suprised by any of it...............
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The only thing more annoying than people who don't know shit is people who don't know shit and are convinced they are right.

In order of danger level (most dangerous being #1)

1. Dumb people that think they are smart & don't know their limitations
2. Smart people that think they are smart & don't know their limitations
3. Dumb people that don't know their limitations
4. Dumb people that know their limitations
5. Smart people that know their limitations (ideal situation)
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Congrats on the Wedding

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Bob says in an authoritative tone: "Oh no!!! A C&R license is only for black powder weapons. All of these gun use a modern cartridge. We can't ship em to you unless they go to an FFL.".  

I am concinved that  the gun industry has more incorrect information, half-truths, urban legends, complete BS and incompetence than just about any other group, including the kooks camped outside of Area 51 waiting for UFOs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#32]
It would appear that you pointlessly quoted his entire post, and a moderator recognized the pointlessness of it and fixed it, so we don't all have to scroll through the exact same post twice.

Quoted:
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It would appear that you pointlessly quoted his entire post, and a moderator recognized the pointlessness of it and fixed it, so we don't all have to scroll through the exact same post twice.

Quoted:

If it isn't a CoC violation, I would thank everyone to kindly leave my posts the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it isn't a CoC violation, I would thank everyone to kindly leave my posts the fuck alone.

Why don't you just try IM'ing that mod instead of bitching to those of us who can't do anything about it?

And quit quoting entire posts for no good reason.

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The only thing more annoying than people who don't know shit is people who don't know shit and are convinced they are right.

So fricking true.

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Not necessarily true except in Pawn shops

I worked for a FFL and was making  9 Dollars an hour, not bad pay IMO, though the prices were slightly higher than average
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
<Entire original post quoted>

Through the tolerance of others who pick up their slack for them.

That is why the people at McDonalds drive through are still alive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The answer to your question should be obvious.

You were the second post yet you felt it necessary to quote the entire first post. Why, it's not like we couldn't figure out what you were refering to.

Quoting entire posts makes it more difficult to read new content.

BTW....your name isn't Bob is it

Bomber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top