Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2001 9:12:53 AM EDT
An offshoot of the 'how many are able to fight'. I'm not talking about your willingess, I'm talking about your physical condition.

The reason I'm asking is that after many gun shows, I've seen plenty of armchair commandos. Guys that love guns, talk military tactics like they're experts, but look more like paul prudhome  ([url]http://www.chefpaul.com/[/url] )
than GI joe.

So how about it? Can you walk up 20 flights of stairs without getting winded? Hike 5 miles without having a heart attack? Could you fit into a regulation uniform, not the ones from "Erv's BDU's for the Big-Boned"????
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]

good question and one that i feel is often overlooked. the ability to run for a bit or move quickly may do more to preserve your life than another 1000 rounds of ammo.

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#2]
In combat there are only the quick and the dead.

I'm in fair shape but not combat condition. I don't think I'd have much problem humping long distances, though. It would take a little work but I could be ready fairly soon.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Schnacke,
Haven't heard of "Erv's BDU's for the Big-Boned". ROTFLMAO

What kind of shape? I can do what you stated, but I ain't back to what I was in High School.  That is a good question, since most the guys I have seen posting pics of themselves look like they ain't missed any meals.

Put me down as inshape, but not perfect.
Ice
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Let the fat guys man the defensive positions. Let the guys who are in shape do the manuevering. Make use of everyone. BTW, I'm 6'00", 200# and pretty close to fighting shape.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My thumb is plenty strong enough to push a big red button.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in pretty decent shape, especially compared to most of the guys I see in my age group (40ish).  Daily excercise has been part of my life since I was a teen.
If you want to talk about "fighting shape", we should be talking about endurance and speed.  When you look at SEALS and other "high speed, low drag" kinds of military guys, you don't see too many power-lifter or bodybuilder physiques.  You do see lots of wiry-looking guys though.
Accordingly, on the remote chance that guys my age should be given the opportunity to fight, I've begun tailoring my own workouts to produce that kind of strength and endurance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Citizen Lardass reporting for duty, SIR!!!

Cheezebutt packed into Big Bone BDU's, SIR!!!

Ready to man the sedentary ensconced defender positions, SIR!!!

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Good question, but is that not what Basic Training for?  Granted we are more sloppy then many of other Countries.  But I think there are enough young guy's full of piss and vinegar in our nation to get buy... [(:)]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm 25, 6'3", 196.5lbs, 13.2% body fat, Blood Pressure 118/78 at 61 beats/minute.

Yesterday I ran 5 miles rough terrain in the mud in 52 minutes.  I can run 2 miles in about 14-16 minutes if I try, but lately I've been sticking to longer runs.  

This morning (like most)I hiked 3 miles in the rain and wind wearing boots and carrying about 20 lbs of books on my back.

What do you think?

I to have noticed the increase in potato-paratroopers at gun shows.  My wife will hardly go to shows with me anymore because it's hard for her to walk around the giant guys who never bathe without choking.  She's got a bullet ready to shoot me in the ass if I EVER look/smell like that.

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm 25, 6'3", 196.5lbs, 13.2% body fat, Blood Pressure 118/78 at 61 beats/minute.

Yesterday I ran 5 miles rough terrain in the mud in 52 minutes.  I can run 2 miles in about 14-16 minutes if I try, but lately I've been sticking to longer runs.  

This morning (like most)I hiked 3 miles in the rain and wind wearing boots and carrying about 20 lbs of books on my back.

What do you think?

I to have noticed the increase in potato-paratroopers at gun shows.  My wife will hardly go to shows with me anymore because it's hard for her to walk around the giant guys who never bathe without choking.  She's got a bullet ready to shoot me in the ass if I EVER look/smell like that.

View Quote

What do I think?
I think you're 20 years younger than I am, that's what!
Check back in 20, Bucksnort!
Good for you, though.  Some of us will actually get in better shape now because the incentive is there.  It's our backyard being invaded.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Put a 100 lb. pack on my back and I'll march all the way to Mecca.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#15]
How in shape does a sniper gotta be?

[sniper]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I was very out of shape...

Before: 6'1" 265 lbs

Now: 230 lbs

Goal: 200 lbs

Muad_Dib: My fiance went to a gun show with me. She vows she will never go back because of all the fat guys jammed into a small area. Then proceded to say that I was getting a bit large and better get my ass in shape if I wanted to get any.

Amazing how fast the pounds have been melting off!!

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm 32 and the most out of shape I've ever been!
I need to loose at least 20lbs & have been saying I will get into shape all year.
 I think recent events have finally got me motivated to do so!!

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Never forget the ultimate power of spirit. Where the spirit goes, the body will follow, regardless of the physical condition of that body.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[
What do I think?
Good for you, though.  Some of us will actually get in better shape now because the incentive is there.  It's our backyard being invaded.
View Quote

I hope you don't think I'm trying to brag.  In 20 years I fully expect things to slow down.  I just don't want to allow them to expand. [:)]

You're right though.  It is our backyard and big slow targets are easier to hit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn all you young bucks!

42 y/o
6'3"
230 lbs.

I don't see it as fat, it's more like reserve stores.

BTW, I've never felt stronger in my entire life.
But, admittedly, I am a lot slower now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Muad_Dib: My fiance went to a gun show with me. She vows she will never go back because of all the fat guys jammed into a small area. Then proceded to say that I was getting a bit large and better get my ass in shape if I wanted to get any.

View Quote

And has she mentioned how much she hates being leared at?  I've heard that one to.  Sometimes I think she goes with me just to get the looks though.  I think it helps her self esteem. [:)]

Rant begins.

Some of the stereotypes are true, i.e. middle aged, middle class, white, Protestant, overweight, right wing anti-government, male.  We need more gun owners who break those stereotypes into little pieces.  I really love going to shows with my female or non-white friends just to see the reactions we get.  The biggest problem I get at gun shows is all the middle aged lardbutts who talk down to me because they THINK that I'm a young punkass who doesn't know jack about anything, including guns.  I really love telling those guys about the post-ban reciever they're trying to sell as pre-ban though.

Rant mode off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#23]
You cannot tell what crisis may befall you.  Be prepared.  Get in shape, stay in shape.  Helps with the ladies, too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was very out of shape...

Before: 6'1" 265 lbs

Now: 230 lbs

Goal: 200 lbs

View Quote

I am continually amazed at how the wimmens in the world expect us to stay in shape when we don't "get any" from them...as in when they have a headache, etc.
When we lose the Fire, we get the Tire...
I think there is a direct correlation between the hunt and the, ah, well, it rhymes with hunt!
Gimme some!!!

Edited for previously offending language. [rolleyes]

[b]BusMaster007[/b]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Top phisical condition according to Army reg.
22 yrs. old
67 in.
73 push-ups in 2 min.
78 sit-ups in 2min.
2 miles in 13:05

Spc. Sandoval
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#26]
22 yrs
72 inches
168 lbs
and still in the worst shape of my life.

-CK

working on it though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#27]
5'8" tall

220# weight w/ a lower body fat ratio than I had when I was 140# in the Army

140/70 BP (checked by my wife, so it could be off)

70 bpm resting pulse

425# squat

run 2 miles in 20 minutes

Other than when I was in the Army and they made me go, in October, it will have been 60 years since I've been to a doctor.

Not impressed yet?  I'm 73 years-old.  Other than a little shaky marksmanship (from Parkinson's), I'm ready.  When are we leaving?  Where did I put my Maadi?

I like Sukebe's idea of putting the fat boys on defense.  Let them be bored in a trench or manning a checkpoint while the fit boys go have fun.  From my time in Korea, 99% of the time I was bored.  The other 1% was spent in shear terror.  I never did have to spend an extended amount of time running?  I wonder if the Army does all of the running, not to get you in shape for running, but instead for surviving the stress of being shelled for hours?  Any comments on that statement?z
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think?

View Quote

What do I think?
View Quote

15yrs later checking in and still ready to rock-n-roll.

6'1" 193lb,  body fat 17%, heart beat 50s, and BP about the same.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#29]
zoom,
I'm glad you're on our side.

-CK

changed to show that I know the difference between your and you're
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Since we are doing measurements:
5'10" 199lbs as of a week ago at my physical
34" waist

Ready to run or hump my a$$ where Uncle Sam needs me,
Ice
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#31]
19 years old
72" tall
225lbs.(down from 256 3 months ago)

I have started running in order to loose more weight.  I would like to slim down to 205lbs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks cck.  This thread made me think about world events, and consider that I could be in better shape.  During my break from work, I just ran by a gym here in downtown that my great-nephew has been trying to convince me to join.   I was very disappointed.  There was a bunch of women on stationary bikes, and men on ab machines.  There seemed to be more TV watching on than working-out.  There were no free weights.  Before I found-out about the lack of weights, I asked about chalk.  The manager looked at me like I was a nut.  He had no clue why I would ask about chalk.  All that for a sign-up fee, plus over $700 per year.  No thanks.  I just called the local YMCA, and it's $540 per year!

So, if you want to get into shape, you've got to do it yourself.

Now, if I could find somewhere I could run while carrying a rifle without looking like a nut, then I'd be happy.z
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
5'8" tall

70 bpm resting pulse

425# squat

Other than when I was in the Army and they made me go, in October, it will have been 60 years since I've been to a doctor.

Not impressed yet?  I'm 73 years-old.  Other than a little shaky marksmanship (from Parkinson's), I'm ready.  When are we leaving?  Where did I put my Maadi?

I like Sukebe's idea of putting the fat boys on defense.  Let them be bored in a trench or manning a checkpoint while the fit boys go have fun.  From my time in Korea, 99% of the time I was bored.  The other 1% was spent in shear terror.  I never did have to spend an extended amount of time running?  I wonder if the Army does all of the running, not to get you in shape for running, but instead for surviving the stress of being shelled for hours?  Any comments on that statement?z
View Quote

This should make us all look at ourselves and evaluate our longterm health goals.  Keep it up zoom!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#34]
40yrs old,185lbs 6'1"run a mile every day.GOOD TO GO!
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#35]
25 years old, 6'0" 185#

RHR 60 bpm.  Used to run a 5k race in 18min.
Can ski like a MF.  Put me in the snow!

Ready for training.  No military experience. Just a lot of years sneaking through the woods, climbing mountains and shooting weapons.

Can bring own full size rifle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#36]
44 years old
160 lbs
5'9"
Can I run, yes but I hate running, I learned to shoot so I would not have to run.[:D]
I have a physical coming up next week, at the VA clinic, I am working on pre qualifying to go back in. If I pass, and am excepted, great, I will do my best to take care of the kids, if not, my wife will be grateful, and I will do all I can from this end. Old infantrymen just gots to try.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#38]
No, but I am working on it. Starting this week I am going to Karate class 4 nights a week.

Kyle
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#40]
6'0"
210pds
12% bodyfat
18"arm

PT test- PU-96, SU-100, 2 mile run-12:36min. Talk about an Army of One!!!

I know this may seem hard to believe- but working out is even more addictive than GUNS!!! [:D] You just have to get in a routine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#41]
5'9 1/2"  138Lbs  50 push-ups in a minute 43 sit-ups in one minute %13.5 body fat. I can do 7 pull-ups. Not many but more than my age range specs say. Never timed my running. I'm an anxious person so my resting heart rate is kind of high in the mid to upper 70's.  Is that "combat" condition?
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I powered down two Sausage McMuffins for breakfast and a foot-long Subway for lunch.  Who knows when the transportation system may go to hell, food supplies dry up, and all this extra "conditioning" I've been doing lately will really help out!
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey, I'm in shape. A round shape.

Hike 5 miles? Shit I get winded going to the refrigerator for a beer.

I'll do local security, but I'm not in no condition for anything else.  See me next year.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Haha:

Height: 69"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Eyes: Green
Hair: Brown
20 pushups in 2 minutes
25 without cigarette in mouth.  
1 mile: 6:48 without cigar in mouth
8:50 while smoking a Winston Churchill Cigar

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#45]
As a former college fullback (five years ago), I can handle my own, and maybe even haul a wounded out of the field.  I can run 2 miles in 16-17 minutes unloaded and still bench press 270lbs+.  If I can hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back with 50lbs of gear (I recommend that jaunt to everyone, it was awwsome), hopefuly I will be able to do the same or better under the "will to survive"...

Another thing... if the action takes place at an elevation of 7000 or above, count me out.  I am used to 1200 ft here in Iowa.  The lack of oxygen kills me every fall when I hunt antelope/deer in the WY mountains near South Pass City (but I still enjoy it).  I'd have to have a horse or vehicle to haul my ass and gear load around.

28yo
73inches tall
235lbs
36in waist
128/85 bp
the average 6 inches in my pants...
anything else?

Not sure if I'd grab the scoped L1A1 or the CAR-16 though... (probably the CAR-15)

JRB L1A1
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#46]
The_Beer_Slayer, that's a great joke (I hope it was a joke :) ) about big slow boys being the ultimate fight machines, because they won't retreat.

Cheezy poofs?  Hmmm... Maybe we should doctor a picture of Bin Laden and place him in front of a truckload of cheezy poofs.  Then we send Rosie O'Donut after him.  I don't think he'd be able to stop her.  We certainly don't seem to have even been able to slow her mouth, much less her entire mass.

BTW, I just mentioned to my wife that I looked at prices for joining a gym.  She reminded me that I couldn't because of the grunts I make when lifting.  She said I'd probably scare-away all the little men on their ab machines.  I asked about the women, and she replied that no amount of grunting I could do could compare to what the mothers there have gone through.  Good point.  Also, when lifting I have to sing along with music so that I don't hold my breath and increase my intraabdominal pressure.  Again, that would scare people away.  When under pressure, the discs in your spine bulge.  I think I have one that is irritating a nerve when it bulges.  It's much more comfortable for me to hold my breath, but high intraabdominal pressure can cause dangerous blood pressure (especially for someone my age), and it will eventually cause hemorrhoids.

Also on the topic of breathing while lifting, if you guys are thinking long-term, prolonged holding your breath while lifting will eventually cause hemorrhoids.  I had an interesting conversation with a doctor that retired to Asheville, NC from LA.  He said that he worked with many body builders, including Tom Platz(!), and every one of them he dealt with long-term developed this problem.  It was his claim that it will happen to anyone if they lift long enough.  I'm glad that one time about 35 years ago, I had a horrible headache and dizziness from lifting while holding my breath.  It taught me a valuable lesson.

Also speaking long-term, (now I'm getting off-topic) concentrate on quality rather than quantity.  I have too many friends that can't lift now, because they used to do marathon 5 sets of each of 10 exercises several times per week.  If you feel like doing 5 sets of bench presses, then your first set wasn't hard enough.  Remember, you're there to work your muscles, not wear-out your joints.z
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
5'8" tall

70 bpm resting pulse

425# squat

View Quote

Maybe it's something about you Korean War vets. My dad is 72 and fought in Korea with 2nd Battalion E Co. 179th Inf, 45th Inf. Div.. He still lays brick/block or concrete everyday. He's not a runner and not a weight lifter(in his line of work you don't need weights) but I'm afraid he could kick my ass. My hat is off to you sir, what a shitty f*cking war that was.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm in shape!!

"Round" is a shape isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Im almost 41 and fat. I went to the doc the other day and he told me its time to get serious. In my 20's I was 6' 200lb and lifted 3-4 times a week. Now Im 256. I dont want to lift weights like I used to but I am more interested in riding the bike and just improving my wind for the next couple months, maybe then I can do some light weights.
No one to blame but me and thats got to change.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#50]
40 yrs old, 6'1", 240lbs., B.P. 120 over 70.  I was in good shape up to age 30, OK shape to 35, and the last five years made me old. I have started taking the stairs at work, when possible (I work on the 20th floor), but it would take more than that to get me combat ready. I can still bench 250lbs though. That helps with the womenz too, especially if you have MY back pain. Not that I plan on benching any 250lb ladies any time soon...  but it makes lots of reps at, say, 130lbs quite easy. [8D]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top