Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2007 5:13:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Be prepared to go garage saleing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure about your under $40 request.

You can find alot of good stuff on eBay.  Technics and Panasonic were "the" turntables to have if you have a system to connect.  

I have an SL-1200 from back then, and you can still get all kinds of parts for it.  Like a tank.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I still have a Technics SL-6, dunno if I want to sell it yet tho. I'll give it some thought.

Put an advert in your local paper. Who knows.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
MRW: You can't be serious, under $40?  Even 20-30 years anything in that price range would be considered a toy.

They still manufacture turnbables and cartiridges, and you may need pre-amp with RIAA compensation curve.  All of that stuff is going to add up to some bucks if bought new.  I would scour eBay and garage sales.

I still have my Infinity Black Widow tonearm with a Shure V15 type IV cartridge, and a rad look Micro Sieki DDX1000 turntable.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought I saw turntables in Crutchfield...
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#7]
look for a used Thorens TD.
easy to refurbish.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Pioneer.  You can still find needles, etc. pretty easily too.

lawdawg430
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm kinda partial to the "classroom" portable style that pack up into a crate.

You might call a few of the local audio-visual supply houses - the same places that sell and repair stuff for schools, churches and other institutions. They would stand a good chance of knowing where you could pick up a used one - Might even have a few laying around gathering dust in their service department.

Also, as previously mentioned, thrift stores are excellent prospects, although you'll need to be there at exactly the right time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top