Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2007 9:08:09 PM EDT
I saw a TV commercial earlier that had a guy sitting down with his girlfriend... "I have genital herpes".   And she says "And I don't" then he says "And we want to keep it that way".

Then it is for some medicine that is supposed to help keep his outbreaks under control, then it then they say "I still have genital herpes...    And I still don't... and we want to keep it that way".

I got an idea...  don't have sex!

How do "real life" couples do this (or do they?).    I would have to imagine it would be akward at best, especially if they want to have kids.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
As I have posted before it is a deal breaker for me.

I dated 2 girls in a row that had Herpes.....thankfully they both told me before we had sex.

I'm just not going to risk it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do the herpes commercials always show them doing some form of water sports?

Sailing, kayaking, rafting,etc.?

Water help the itch?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd have to think about it. Those commercials make living with herpes look like a blast.
Is it really that much fun?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
It realllly depends on which STD it is.

AIDS/Herpes - definate NO.

HPV - yes, so long as it was someone I thought was marriage material.

My first wife had HPV prior to meeting me.  She had no symptoms at all when we met, but was up front with me.  We were married for 3 years and had sex at least 5 times during that - we divorced in 2001, and I'm still clean.

So to me, it really just depends.  Doc's say that over 75% of the U.S. population has one form or another of HPV.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Water help the itch?

hahaha.... this commercial had them running on a beach.   That is a good question.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Wrap your rascal!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I do not need "Bumpys" on my ding-ding...so, I would be out!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw that too.  I was thinking WTF why doesn't she get the fuck out of there?  If I had an STD I would at least look for a girlfriend with the same condition so one day she wouldn't tell me I gave it to her.  I guess that would be hard to set up though unless you meet at the STD clinic.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I saw that too.  I was thinking WTF why doesn't she get the fuck out of there?  If I had an STD I would at least look for a girlfriend with the same condition so one day she wouldn't tell me I gave it to her.  I guess that would be hard to set up though unless you meet at the STD clinic.  

Theres economic potenital there somehow.

-K
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

"So...   what you got?"  "You too!!'

I guess there wouldn't be a whole lot else to cover before gettin' it on.

Of course that is why they are there in the first place anyway.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Heck no, thats good as being a zombie to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Water help the itch?

hahaha.... this commercial had them running on a beach.   That is a good question.

I just saw it again...   they were riding bikes NEXT to a beach, not actually in the water.

Your point is still valid though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#13]
G/f at the time told she had it, a month after we had first been acting like rabbits I broke up with her, damn she was so hott  I didn't get it, and I want it to stay that way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Condoms don't protect you from Herpes, btw, so strike that from your arsenal of protection.

But, to answer the question, it would depend greatly on the woman. Would I have married my wife if she had told me she had it when we met? Probably not, but it would have been a mistake. I'd take a bullet for her without thinking about it, I'd certainly endure a rash on the noodle if I had to.

In that context, it's a loaded question. Most of us would bail on a woman with herpes, but some might pass over a rewarding life in doing so.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]

same thing with tampon commercials
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Just as long as she dont get cold sores as well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#17]
If you love them, you'll just have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Condoms don't protect you from Herpes, btw, so strike that from your arsenal of protection.

But, to answer the question, it would depend greatly on the woman. Would I have married my wife if she had told me she had it when we met? Probably not, but it would have been a mistake. I'd take a bullet for her without thinking about it, I'd certainly endure a rash on the noodle if I had to.

In that context, it's a loaded question. Most of us would bail on a woman with herpes, but some might pass over a rewarding life in doing so.

It is a loaded question, but there are no absolutes in relationships.......herpes is absolute. Therein lies the problem.

You may very well limit your life's rewards after you get herpes because the next woman you meet may be the one, and she decides herpes isn't for her.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I would hope not and that shit drives me crazy.

Anyone who has a STD should NOT be having sex with people who don't.

If EVERYONE did that they wouldn't have a STD in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#20]
HELL NO!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw that stupid commericial too.  Goddamn pharmacutical companies, they can almost afford as much airtime as the vehicle manufacturers
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#22]
When that commercial aired I was like, WTF?!

If some broad told me she had herpes there would be a Silesius-shaped hole in the wall as I ran over the horizon.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#23]
It depends...
If it was Shakira I'd be a herpes encrusted mofo (and loving it)...!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I would hope not and that shit drives me crazy.

Anyone who has a STD should NOT be having sex with people who don't.

If EVERYONE did that they wouldn't have a STD in the first place.

So, if your wife cheated on you, and without your knowledge gave you herpes, you would be 100% ok with never having sex with a partner again, ever? Even if a potential partner loved you and chose to live with the risk in a long term relationship??

There's the problems with absolutes. They suck when they happen to you.

I know a girl real well, a family friend, that contracted herpes from her fiance (who either had it and didn't tell her or cheated on her). She is now married to a guy (who accepted the risk) and has 3 kids, 1 is my daughter's best friend. Should she have stayed sexless and lived like a eunich because of someone else's wrongdoing??

Herpes isn't life threatening. If someone chooses to live with the risk, big deal. Their junk, their choice. It's if they CHEAT, or pass it on without telling someone that a problem exists.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Wrap your rascal!

I was under the impression the genital herpes could still be spread with a condom on.

better go the full body condom route!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Only if I was the one that gave her the STD.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#27]
PASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:08:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Not me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#29]
na, ditch the bitch. There are clean fish in the sea.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'd have to think about it. Those commercials make living with herpes look like a blast.
Is it really that much fun?

Wish the commercials were more truthfull...

"I got genital herpes from a Tiajuana whore, then I met Jane ".

No way in hell I would touch a chick with a diseased snapper...that's damaged goods

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I saw a TV commercial earlier that had a guy sitting down with his girlfriend... "I have genital herpes".   And she says "And I don't" then he says "And we want to keep it that way".

Then it is for some medicine that is supposed to help keep his outbreaks under control, then it then they say "I still have genital herpes...    And I still don't... and we want to keep it that way".

I got an idea...  don't have sex!

How do "real life" couples do this (or do they?).    I would have to imagine it would be akward at best, especially if they want to have kids.

Nope...

That would be a general indication of a prior lifestyle incompatible with my own...

I need to have someone I can trust will still be there (and stay faithful) when I get back from wherever the Army sends me... While not having STDs isn't a guarantee that she's not promiscuous, having one or more generally indicates that she was...

And I have no use for a girlfriend with -zero- wife potential... Period...
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:10:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Would you stay with somebody that had an STD

Some of us do...and dont even realize it yet.

I used to live next to two girls who I suspected were strippers.
Turns out I was right, they were strippers, and they would invite
me over sometimes.  Never did it with either of them, and found
out four years later that they both had herpes, and were actually
having sex with as many guys as possible to spread it...glad I
was just neighborly to them and kept my pants on...
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#33]
They say 1 in 5 or as high as 1 in 4 have herpes and many of those don't even know it.  So, odds are you have been with someone that has it.  Which scares the crap outta me.  Thank God I am married now and don't have to worry about such things...
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:43:17 AM EDT
[#34]
No.

If they told me upfront right at the beginning, it would be too early to want to have to make that decision, because there will have been no real psychological intimacy to fall back on... if they waited until a while into the relationship to tell me, I'd feel a bit pissed (understatement) that they didn't tell me at the beginning.

It's a no-win thing.

But that's just me.

One thing I love about those pharmaceutical commercials is where they say the potential side effects really-really-really-fast at the end... culminating in, "may cause death"... oookkkaaaayyyyyy!!

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:51:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wrap your rascal!

I was under the impression the genital herpes could still be spread with a condom on.

better go the full body condom route!

I had a buddy get genital warts eventhough he used a condom.  They just showed up in places he didn't have the condom on that still made contact.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:53:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

having sex with as many guys as possible to spread it
...glad I

Now I really don't say this that often, but that shit should be illegal.  Like felony illegal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:16:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

One thing I love about those pharmaceutical commercials is where they say the potential side effects really-really-really-fast at the end... culminating in, "may cause death"... oookkkaaaayyyyyy!!

I make it a habit to listen to those as well.

Ask your doctor for more detailsMaycausediarehaaconstipationyourpenisfallingoffstrokeheartattackhighbloodpressureseverepenisswellingpenisturninggreenandfallingoffetOMGOMGONOZ!!11oneone
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:22:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Bumpy Pie
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:29:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Three words:

Steel belted radials
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Yes,If I was in a fucking space suit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:32:08 AM EDT
[#41]
No.

Crotch-rot would definately be a deal-breaker.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:51:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I think the herp is out there more than I knew.  I dated 2 diff girls and both of them

a. did not tell me up front about it

b. had serious self-esteem issues over it.

Both were what I would call nice girls (not tramps), both had a guy not tell them and infect them, but then turn around and do the same thing. So then it ends up they go through a lot of guys that will not even give them a chance.  

I was lucky, I am clean. But now think about this, in this day and age with the divorce rate is so high, are you willing to risk Mr Happy on a 50 50 bet?

Now the one girl, I was around for an outbreak, and it was no blast.  She was in a good bit of pain, it zaps your immune system. Not to mention you can have bouts with shingles and Bells Paulsy.  Its not just bumps on shlong!  

I can't take that bet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:53:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

having sex with as many guys as possible to spread it
...glad I

Now I really don't say this that often, but that shit should be illegal.  Like felony illegal.

I'm pretty sure it is. It might just be hard to prove.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#44]
It would be a deal breaker for me.  Herpes is permanent.  Most relationships are not.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't want anything that don't wash off and I don't have enough faith in condoms.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:16:33 AM EDT
[#46]
thats why you marry young 19 yr-old virgins!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:17:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
They say 1 in 5 or as high as 1 in 4 have herpes and many of those don't even know it.  So, odds are you have been with someone that has it.  Which scares the crap outta me.  Thank God I am married now and don't have to worry about such things...

That's 100% true. And, worse, some people carry it and never show any symptoms or outbreak. They simply pass the virus on through normal "Shedding" of the skin.

Some of you guys are MARRIED to a woman who has genital herpes, and you sleep with it every night. There's something to think about tonight.

Some of you guys have the bug too, and don't have a clue and have been endangering every woman you sleep with.

Seriously. It's a very common STD. If you've had a few partners, you've almost certainly slept with someone who's had it, even if they didn't know it.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
My first wife had HPV prior to meeting me.  She had no symptoms at all when we met, but was up front with me.  We were married for 3 years and had sex at least 5 times during that - we divorced in 2001, and I'm still clean.

So to me, it really just depends.  Doc's say that over 75% of the U.S. population has one form or another of HPV.

How do you know you are clean?  HPV usually doesn't show any symptoms in men and there is no test for men to detect it.  Just because you can't tell you have it doesn't mean you aren't carrying it.

www.thehpvtest.com/HPV-for-men-FAQ.html#testmen

There is currently no FDA-approved test to detect HPV in men. That is because an effective, reliable way to collect a sample of male genital skin cells, which would allow detection of HPV, has yet to be developed. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises men that they don’t need to be worried about the lack of an HPV test for them. The agency states that "there is no clear health benefit to knowing if men have this virus, since HPV is unlikely to affect their health and cannot be treated.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Lets see... I've slept with exactyl one girl, and she's slept with exactly one guy....

I think my risk is pretty low....
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
As I have posted before it is a deal breaker for me.

I dated 2 girls in a row that had Herpes.....thankfully they both told me before we had sex.

I'm just not going to risk it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top