Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2007 12:45:44 PM EDT
I have a friend interested in a new .30-06 Sprig hunting rifle.

He is looking at the Browning BOSS system, and watch the BOSS video at Browning Video

While I conceide that the barrel harmonics control much of what happens to a projectile as it leaves the barrel, it seems too good to be true that MOA accuracy can be achieved with any factory ammo. From what I understand, there are more accuracy variables such as bullet jump to the lands, rate of twist vs. weight, etc.

It appears from Browning literature that the BOSS addition to an A-Bolt rifle is ~$100.
Is this money well spent for the average hunter?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I would rather have a thicker barrel than that loud ass thing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Um you can get sub MOA results with federal gold medal match and others, in a factory stock remington PSS or VS and many others I'm sure.

The BOSS thing works as well, its one method for tuning bbl harmonics so that the last node coincides with the end of the bbl for one particular type of ammo. You can do the same thing with handloading.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't own a BOSS, some of my friends do.

I like it for shooting at the range. I would probably hate that fucker for hunting.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
There are two weigths you can put on the end of your barrel, one that is a muzzle break, and one that is solid.  It is up to the user wether they use the muzzle break one or not.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The Browning A Bolts seem to shoot just fine without the perforated beer can screwed on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one. It's so ear-splittingly loud that I took it off. Now I have a barrel with threads and calibrations showing, wrapped in a bit of duct tape.

The ironic part is, I can't tell any difference in accuracy.  

(If your buddy still wants one, I'll sell him mine real cheap  )
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#7]
 Step away from the BOSS and have a good trigger job done and have it bedded.  This will give you a sweet shooting rifle that doesnt split your skull wide open every time you shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Too damn loud for hunting.  There are better things for bench rest/long range.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't get the chance to take too many shots while hunting. However my A-bolt in .270 will make a cloverleaf at 100yds. with decent ammo.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I will forward them to my friend.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#11]
For like $20, you can get the CR (conventional recoil) end that doesn't have a muzzle break incorporated into it.  No louder than any other rifle.

It does make a difference.  You can tune the barrel to get better and better accuracy with whatever load you shoot... and if you reload, you don't necessarily have to sacrifice velocity for accuracy anymore.  Get the bullet as fast as you can safely get it to go, tune the barrel and you're done.

I have one and it's worth it.

ETA:  The average hunter couldn't keep his shots on a dinner plate offhand at 100 yards with a match quality rifle... I'm an accuracy freak though, so it's up to the individual as to how important accuracy is to them.

ETA II:  For all the 'ear-splitting loud' posters above, a link to fix your problem for around $20.

BOSS CR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top