Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 5:29:42 AM EDT
I am looking into getting a house gun that will stay at home, and will always be there. too many of my other handguns take occasional walks with me so i want something that i can always count on being loaded, and ready to go.

Is the 24/7 (in 9mm or .45) reliable (at least as reliable as a S&W automatic), and accurate enough for CQB? Good deals or jammamatics? do they need work or are they good out of the box? and finally, is there a real big margin of difference in performance between the Pro and the regular pistol?

My only experience with Taurus has been an M85 and a PT92 several years ago that i used to rent at a range i worked at. they were always reliable and had 1000's of rounds through each. is this the standard with Taurus, or is it against the norm?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
i had the pt 111 milineum pro for my glovebox gun down in florida if fuctioned flawlessly the only complaint i had was the heavy trigger pull.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok between this and the dog (family/protector) I am thinking something happened last night. Come on fill us in.

BTW I would recomend a Glock like a 17.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok between this and the dog (family/protector) I am thinking something happened last night. Come on fill us in.

Nah, nothing happened in specific (though i got a weird feeling sat. night and the M4 slept with mommy and daddy).  I just want to work to continually augment and evaluate my home security, thats all.  I've already got one G17, but thats my sidearm, so it walks out with me.  i'm trying to avoid going over 300ish, and i haven't yet seen a decent Glock for under 350.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My only experience with Taurus has been an M85 and a PT92 several years ago that i used to rent at a range i worked at. they were always reliable and had 1000's of rounds through each. is this the standard with Taurus, or is it against the norm?

I don't know enough about the 24/7 to say one way or the other.  I've seen mixed reviews, but I don't put much stock in those.

However, I've got a lot of experience with PT92's.  Any reason you're not considering one of those since you've had positive experience with them in the past?  If you decide on .45, that's a good reason by itself.  I've found used PT92's for as low as $175(not the pretty ones, but they still work reliably), and they're pretty easy to find around $250.

I have PT92's and a few different .357's from Taurus and have always had good luck with them.  I had a locking block break once (not an uncommon failure, especially in a gun with over 20k rounds), I called them up and they shipped one out as soon as they got it in stock.  I would have no reservations about Taurus.  Most of the complaints I've heard are the same random problems everyone can have with any manufacturer.  I haven't heard of people who had problems and contacted Taurus not getting decent customer service.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know enough about the 24/7 to say one way or the other.  I've seen mixed reviews, but I don't put much stock in those.

However, I've got a lot of experience with PT92's.  Any reason you're not considering one of those since you've had positive experience with them in the past?  If you decide on .45, that's a good reason by itself.  I've found used PT92's for as low as $175(not the pretty ones, but they still work reliably), and they're pretty easy to find around $250.

I have PT92's and a few different .357's from Taurus and have always had good luck with them.  I had a locking block break once (not an uncommon failure, especially in a gun with over 20k rounds), I called them up and they shipped one out as soon as they got it in stock.  I would have no reservations about Taurus.  Most of the complaints I've heard are the same random problems everyone can have with any manufacturer.  I haven't heard of people who had problems and contacted Taurus not getting decent customer service.

this is a big selling point for me as well.  At the range we once had something crack on the PT92 (can't recall).  Sent it to Taurus, and they had it back in a week, and it had been test-fired and cleaned w/ an ultrasonic cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#7]
My kid bought one (.45) with his hard earned money. He is in college and didn't have a mint to spend. While I congratulated him on his choice of caliber I was worried about the reliability.

Sure enough he has had nothing but problems with it.  Failure to fully chamber, FTE, FTF,  just about everything but KB. Changing mags was no help.

He's a good boy so I took pitty on him and gave him my Kimber Custom II and bought myself an Ed Brown Special Forces.

Smiles all around !

Anyone want a Tarus 24/7 cheap?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Tarus 24/7 in S&W 40. I bought this gun because it fit my hand so comfortably. I have put several hundred rounds through it without any failure of any sort. My only complant is the heavy trigger pull. I understand they are now making these in a single action model which would end the trigger pull problem. All in all I am very satisfied with the pistol.

Swamprat51
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a stoeger cougar......I have only heard good things about it and CDNN Investments has the 40cal model(they might have the 9mm again but last I checked they are out of stock) for 299.99 of course that's minus S&H and transfer fee....stoeger is at least partially owned by beretta and uses the same machines to make the cougar that beretta used to use for their cougars
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#10]
15 years ago, my friend bought a P99(a PT92 with adj sights, the Taurus PT92/99 series of guns is the kind of like a Beretta 92SF clone.  The major differences is the Taurus P92/99 has the safetey lever mounted on the frame a la 1911, the Beretta on the slide.  The Taurus PT92/99 functions similarily to the 1911, ie up is safe, down is fire, and you can engage the safety in a "cocked & locked" mode.).  Most of the internals is very similar to the Beretta 92SF, except of course the safety mechanism. We shoot the snoot of out the PT99 without a babble.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#11]
A friend just got a 24/7 in .45, and has shot around 600 rounds and it functions fine, the only problem is it shoots about 12-15" low at 25 yards. Also the slide is blued, and it doesnt seem to be as tough as I expected, I've noticed a few wear points, and it may be nothing, but daily use in a holster may show different. I really wanted this to be a good gun, as I dont like the feel of glocks, as this has a nice slim grip and still holds 12+1 of .45, but I may just stick with my Beretta.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a 24/7 Pro in 9MM, shot great, no issues.

Was going to use it for a car gun, but decided to go all Glock. For your purposes I do not see an issue, and it should work really well.

The single action is great and you have a second strike capability.

Go to Taurus' website and watch the video, they have a guy that smokes 4 steel plates in under a second with one.......
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I have read a few postings stating that the 24/7 in .45 is very unreliable.  Thoes same postings point out that the 9mm and .40sw versions of the same gun seem to work very well.  I've had a chance to shoot the 9mm and it seems like a good gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, nothing happened in specific (though i got a weird feeling sat. night and the M4 slept with mommy and daddy).  I just want to work to continually augment and evaluate my home security, thats all.  I've already got one G17, but thats my sidearm, so it walks out with me.  i'm trying to avoid going over 300ish, and i haven't yet seen a decent Glock for under 350.

Well now you can Glock 17's $349 he has a bunch of glocks on there for around $350 and he is a good guy to deal with. Personally I would buy a cz75.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Get an M1911A1

Springfield sells em for around 450$ for the GI version.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a PT111 and ran maybe 1/2 case thru it. Ran fine, hated putting the thing back together tho, sometimes it was a PITA tho.

Solt it to a friend who has ran around 1500 rounds thru it with no problems so far. For a home gun I'd personally go with a PT 92 or 99 tho, they are, for the price perfectly fine guns. I've had one for 10+? years or more [PT99] and it's running fine after about 6K rounds or more. Considering it cost me about $300 new at the time, I've got no complaints.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top