Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2006 5:02:00 PM EDT
I had been putting off the upgrade to 7. Finally did it tonight and lost half my library. What a crock. Has this happened to anyone else?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you try system restore to get your old I tunes back?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the older iTunes updates hosed me big time a while back. Switched to WMP11 for the X360 compatability, but use it almost exclusively now.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea.....We use LimeWire
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Can you try system restore to get your old I tunes back?

I am on a mac.

I am such a jack ass, I updated the ipod before I realized the library was screwed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Im sorry.

(Using a Mac)

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Why are Ipods so popular?

Seriously... there's got to be hundreds of other options that are more functional, reliable and cost less.

Hell, one of our vendors handed out one gig flash MP3 players as a gimmi last Christmas.

Zero problems...  

I got a white Ipod-mini at the same time and every time I look at it wrong it hoses out all my music.

I leave it on my desk in the hopes that someone will steal it.

<EDIT>
In answer to your upgrade question... Yes, it does that to just about everyone.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#7]
When I up graded to Itunes 7. from 6 I also lost over 15000 songs and videos. Thankfully I had a back up hard drive of the songs. Lesson learned never up grade if what I have is working fine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't think you could lose half your library unless it was in two different spots.  I did have an odd thing happen when I updated.  The iTunes Music Store preference was Japan.  I figured how to switch it back and all was well.

This might help.   Or try "Consolidate Library" under Advanced.

"I've lost the songs on my computer
If a song used to appear in iTunes but doesn't now, it may be because:

The iTunes Library file was moved from the iTunes Music folder (in [Your Home Folder]/Music/iTunes). If the iTunes Library file is moved or deleted, your songs won't appear in your library, even though the song files are still in the iTunes Music folder.
The song was moved from the iTunes Music folder.
Here are ways to make your songs appear in the library again:
In the Finder, drag your iTunes Music folder to the iTunes window. You will see the songs in your library again, but not playlists, song ratings, or other information you created.
If that doesn't work, your songs may be elsewhere on your hard disk. In the Finder, choose File > Find and search for a song by title or artist. Or search for "MP4" to find files downloaded from the iTunes Store or "MP3" to find songs encoded in MP3 format. Drag songs (or folders containing songs) to the iTunes window to add the songs to iTunes again.
Related Topics
Adding files to your library without copying them to your Music folder
About the iTunes Library file"
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I updated my a couple days ago and had no issues.  Sucks man, sorry
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
So tell me why I screwed up in returning the Nano for a Zune?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I wouldn't think you could lose half your library unless it was in two different spots.  I did have an odd thing happen when I updated.  The iTunes Music Store preference was Japan.  I figured how to switch it back and all was well.

This might help.   Or try "Consolidate Library" under Advanced.

"I've lost the songs on my computer
If a song used to appear in iTunes but doesn't now, it may be because:

The iTunes Library file was moved from the iTunes Music folder (in [Your Home Folder]/Music/iTunes). If the iTunes Library file is moved or deleted, your songs won't appear in your library, even though the song files are still in the iTunes Music folder.
The song was moved from the iTunes Music folder.
Here are ways to make your songs appear in the library again:
In the Finder, drag your iTunes Music folder to the iTunes window. You will see the songs in your library again, but not playlists, song ratings, or other information you created.
If that doesn't work, your songs may be elsewhere on your hard disk. In the Finder, choose File > Find and search for a song by title or artist. Or search for "MP4" to find files downloaded from the iTunes Store or "MP3" to find songs encoded in MP3 format. Drag songs (or folders containing songs) to the iTunes window to add the songs to iTunes again.
Related Topics
Adding files to your library without copying them to your Music folder
About the iTunes Library file"

The songs title still appears but it has an exclamation mark by the #. When you click on the tilte you get a file not found
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Seriously... there's got to be hundreds of other options that are more functional, reliable and cost less.

Hell, one of our vendors handed out one gig flash MP3 players as a gimmi last Christmas.

Zero problems...  

I got a white Ipod-mini at the same time and every time I look at it wrong it hoses out all my music.

<EDIT>

We have five Sansas, (a 512MB, 3-2GB, and 1-4 GB) from a company called SanDisk.....we have no problems. They all play MP3 music, vids, and have an FM receiver, they're pretty nice and economical. About $100 for a 2GB.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
no comment  

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]
YES, NO MORE UPGRADES FOR ME
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zero problems...  

<EDIT>

We have five Sansas, (a 512MB, 3-2GB, and 1-4 GB) from a company called SanDisk.....we have no problems. They all play MP3 music, vids, and have an FM receiver, they're pretty nice and economical. About $100 for a 2GB.

+1 - I had one of these before my ipod, and I still use it alot at the gym.  $100.00 and fill it up with music from limewire Makes me feel like I'm stickin' it to tha man!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#16]
There is nothing wrong with upgrading, just do it wisely. Most computer users should all ready have learned to keep all their data backed up a secondary device. I have an older 60 gig I-pod and love it.

It is weird that you lost only half your library. I would as suggested look and see if you have the music in another folder not associated with I-tunes that you might have manually dumped the music into I-tunes from.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
hehe...thats what you get for buying Apple products.

DRM sucks too!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
hehe...thats what you get for buying Apple products.

DRM sucks too!

This is my first problem with 2 macs in 18 months

Both windows machines are down right now.
Sony laptop is getting its second motherboard in 6 months.
Desktop is getting 3rd new hardrive in 1 year.
They are ALL junk.

The win machines just get riddled with viruses, spyware, pop-ups, worms, and every other XPD. Unfortunately my Windows machines have caused me much more grief than the 2 powerbooks I have. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#19]
no back ups?

i have a maxtor 80gb that i keep all my cd's on.

i also have a folder on my desktops HD with all my cd's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:

Because it is from Microsoft.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
no back ups?

+1

Always back up your music library,  that way can easily restore it in the case of a software upgrade screwup or you have hard drive die.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
no back ups?

I have an entire system back up on a Maxtor, that was about a week ago, can't retrieve specific files, entire back-up format.... I never backed up Itunes cause it was backed-up on Ipod.
I know, I know. I've learned another of many lessons the hard way.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you running Tiger (10.4), try using spotlight to find the missing files.

Top right corner. Are they still there?

If you still can't find them go to Applications, Utilities, Disk Utilities, and repair the permissions on the boot volume.

Let me know what happens.

If your running Panther (10.3) or Leopard (10.2) go to file, find, and do a search.

I've been a Mac Consultant/Tech for ten years, sorry to see that happened, but maybe I can help.

Do you have DiskWarrior?

What type of Computer (model) are you using?

What did you use to backup, CC Cloner, Backup, Retrospect, just copied files?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#24]
This is just strange.  I upgraded weeks ago.  It went very smoothly, runs well, and I have lost zero files.  Pretty much exactly as a software install/upgrade should go.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I had no problems with the upgrade.  However, when my brother upgraded all of his album artwork was changed to pictures of Michael Jackson.  Go figure.

Brian
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Are you running Tiger (10.4) Yes
, try using spotlight to find the missing files. File is there- data is gone

Top right corner. Are they still there? Yes, with a ! next to them

If you still can't find them go to Applications, Utilities, Disk Utilities, and repair the permissions on the boot volume.
Ran this utility-No luck, thanks
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Are you running Tiger (10.4), try using spotlight to find the missing files.

Top right corner. Are they still there?

If your running Panther (10.3) or Leopard (10.2) go to file, find, and do a search.

I've been a Mac Consultant/Tech for ten years, sorry to see that happened, but maybe I can help.

Do you have DiskWarrior?  Negative

What type of Computer (model) are you using? G4 powerbook

What did you use to backup, CC Cloner, Backup, just copied files?
Maxtor/Retrospect Backup.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Because you traded Apple for Microsoft?

I mean, even if you hate Apple... you replaced it with... Microsoft?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Can you revert to the last retrospect backup? Was it before this occurred?

Excuse me I'm going on 1+ liters of hard liquor.

Not bad for being drunk eh.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I have no problems with Itunes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Can you revert to the last retrospect backup? Was it before this occurred?

Yes, I could but I have to dig through, sort, and individually back up about 2 weeks worth of work first. (since last back up)
Might be easier to just reload the library from CD's.

Excuse me I'm going on 1+ liters of hard liquor.

Not bad for being drunk eh.

Not too bad.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#33]
weird upgrade issues are why I keep clicking "no" to all the upgrade offers for my iPod and iTunes.

It runs fine, after all.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm new to this whole Ipod- ITunes thing as of Christmas. i bought an Ipod for my son.
Well, I downloaded the ITunes w/ quicktime and nothing works. The Itunes icon is on my desktop, but get only an error message when clicked.
I've spent days trying to get it to run....

I've uninstalled and rebooted a dozen times, re-downloaded, to no avail..... grrrrr.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
weird upgrade issues are why I keep clicking "no" to all the upgrade offers for my iPod and iTunes.

It runs fine, after all.

Me too(clicking no), till my bro said it is all fixed now
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#36]
If you make a purchase from the iTunes Music Store, and something horrible happens and you lose all your music, Apple will give you a one-time only do-over to replace all of your purchased music, free of charge.

Pain in the ass but read this.

lol I'm just trying to help, but I can see why your pissed, I've had worse happen.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This is just strange.  I upgraded weeks ago.  It went very smoothly, runs well, and I have lost zero files.  Pretty much exactly as a software install/upgrade should go.

Same here, never had any problems with an iTunes upgrade...
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I appreciate the help.
Most everything lost was on cds somewhere.
Good to know on the ITunes do-overs though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#39]
No problem!
Anytime, I just wish I had the answer.
I wipeout my itunes library once a month and re-add it, PITA but it prevents hiccups.
I have 130GB currently on a separate firewire 800/usb2 external drive.

Happy New Years!

And thanks for buying a Mac!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top