Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2006 4:54:10 PM EDT
My wifey likes the White Zifendel.....I myself just popped a nice bottle of 2004 Pinot Grigio, and the festivities are underway. I'm kind of partial the the semi's, I've never liked the Merlots or Cabernets. What do my other ArfCommers like? For those of you that like the fermented grape juice?
Poll incoming...
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer a Merlot but it can't be sweet.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
the correct answer is ALL.

Drink what you like, thats what matters.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Pinot Noir or Shiraz
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Boonsfarm, strawberry hill.

Preferably a 2006 vintage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Shiraz and Cabernets are our favorites.

HH
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Gallo Tawny Port.

Can you tell I'm not a wine guy?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's my suggestion for a sparkling wine: Banfi Rosa Regale, from Italy, about $22.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Gallo Tawny Port.

Box or can?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pinot Noir or Shiraz

What's Shiraz like? I've seen it, but am always hesitant to buy something I haven't tried, in case I don't like it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Shiraz and Cabernets are our favorites.

HH

What he said.  The wife likes White Zen however.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gallo Tawny Port.

Box or can screw on cap?

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the more basic domestic wines which are easily located in most corner grocery stores, you know, the stores Americans don't want.

My favorite labels are diverse, exotic, quite enhancing and they include Red Rooster, MD 20/20, Cap'n Jack's, Thunderbird, Boar's Head, Pirate's Cove, Rail Head, just to name a few.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#14]
a screw on cap works way the hell better than a cork but the wine snobs won't have any part of it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as white wine goes , you should really try a Piesporter , it's really good stuff .  maxx
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
a screw on cap works way the hell better than a cork but the wine snobs won't have any part of it.

it doesnt work better.

Wine needs a certain regulated amount of O2 for it to age. Caps dont do that, they are a hermetic environment.

But they do have their place with low cost wines that are supposed to be drank soon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]

fo shizzle
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it doesnt work better.

Wine needs a certain regulated amount of O2 for it to age. Caps dont do that, they are a hermetic environment.

But they do have their place with low cost wines that are supposed to be drank soon.

the wine is only supposed to breathe when your ready to drink it but as far as getting O2 to it you don't want any during storage.
To many wines have been ruined because someone didn't store the wine properly and the cork dried up.
This article explains it better than I can

"More serious an issue is how wines age in screw caps. The perception is that permeable cork allows some sort of slow oxygen exchange that a wine requires to age gracefully in the bottle. But if a wine in cork is stoppered and stored well (on its side), there is no such exchange. Slow oxidation occurs, but only with the oxygen that started in the bottle--a process that can proceed as merrily under screw caps as corks. Three years into a study at the University of California, Davis, wines closed the two ways show few differences."

www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_4_212/ai_115040907
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#19]
"Not the face!"
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/2/2f/320px-Thunderbirdbottlevancouver.jpg
fo shizzle

That is some painful Shizzle Been there done it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#22]
uhhh, none of those. The only kind that is "good" that I can afford is Churchill's Vintage, or Tawny port.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Yellow Tail is good??
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#24]

however if you can not find a good vintage of thunderbird, night train is a fine substitute

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget about:

Manischewitz

Thunderbird

MB 20/20

Taste Test Comparison of the finest wines
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer Merlots.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Red Zin from any Napa winery.  Under 10 bucks and it's all good.  Cabernets are too tannic, Merlots a bit softer.  Australian and Chileans are excellent values too for the same price range.

White wines are for sissies.  So is French wine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget about:

Manischewitz

Thunderbird

MB 20/20

Taste Test Comparison of the finest wines

i was just goun to sugget bumwine.com
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Chateu St. Michael Gewurtraminer [sp?]  Our favorite anyway.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Big Woody Chardonnays.  Miner Family Wild Yeast,  Beringer Sabragia's Special Reserve, Ferrari Carano Canneros... But especially Martinelli, Martinelli Road.  Nah, pass the Coors.

Then again the best of the best in small quanities:  Inniskillen Ice Wine, the Vidal.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it doesnt work better.

the wine is only supposed to breathe when your ready to drink it but as far as getting O2 to it you don't want any during storage.
To many wines have been ruined because someone didn't store the wine properly and the cork dried up.

"More serious an issue is how wines age in screw caps. The perception is that permeable cork allows some sort of slow oxygen exchange that a wine requires to age gracefully in the bottle. But if a wine in cork is stoppered and stored well (on its side), there is no such exchange. Slow oxidation occurs, but only with the oxygen that started in the bottle--a process that can proceed as merrily under screw caps as corks. Three years into a study at the University of California, Davis, wines closed the two ways show few differences."

I dont care about studies, let alone UC DAVIS...they are not creators of excellent artesian wine makers but create uninspiring textbook perfect wine makers that go on to get a job at some huge mega winery where they can use their talents to make stable, re-creatable boring wine.

Wine is a breathing living thing, it needs interaction with the environment. Also you lose some romance points by switching to twist caps.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Tonight I'm enjoying an inexpensive shiraz, redtail I think, but normally I prefer Fransciscan Merlot or Cab.

edited to remove some of the more obvious shiraz induced typos....
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Just so long as it's not white zinfandel.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm a cheap date, I like Arbor Mist blackberry merlot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#35]
If you can get past the screw cap, Erath Pino Gris is great year after year.  Oregon wines are the best for the money...if you live here.  Otherwise, they charge rather steep prices for em around the rest pf the country.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it doesnt work better.

I dont care about studies, let alone UC DAVIS...they are not creators of excellent artesian wine makers but create uninspiring textbook perfect wine makers that go on to get a job at some huge mega winery where they can use their talents to make stable, re-creatable boring wine.

Wine is a breathing living thing, it needs interaction with the environment. Also you lose some romance points by switching to twist caps.

like I said, wine snobs
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#37]
it all depends on what you are eating.  lafite-rothschild sucks with trout.

there are no "bests", only "most suitables" and "favorites".

some of my favorite regions:

chardonnay:  chassagne-montrachet

pinot noir:  carneros

pinot grigio:  alto adagio (arguably the best growing region on earth for this grape)

teeth-stainer reds:  napa zinfandels, napa/sonoma meritage, bordeaux

semi-sweet whites:  alsace, rhine valley, washington state
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top