Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2006 9:52:13 AM EDT
this weapon has a very high cool factor but really I am not that impressed, I recently helped a friend out with a ton of parts and work on some 70 series colts and his way of saying thanks was giving me his super 90

I really like the sights but me being a pump shotgun shooter for years I really dont see the advantage of the super 90.

It jams with light loads and seems a little bit "over complicated"  maybe its operator error but doesn't it seem slow to reload???

and why does it have a magazine shell release button?

it seems like the slide release would just load a shell?

I have no manual so maybe thats the problem.

ETA:  plus with 3" shells it only holds like 4 rounds, and I think because I am in CA I cannot add a mag extension.

Its fast but I think I am almost as fast with my 200 dollar mossy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
your right ,a 500 Mossberg or a good old 870 will get the job done.But to each his own.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you want for it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What do you want for it?

1100  but its kinda rough.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What do you want for it?

NVM. Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I would contact Benelli, they are now a division of Beretta.  Prior to that, HK-USA was the distributor in the US.  If you don't have a paper manual, you could do a Google, I'm sure that someone has put that online, or contact Benilli-USA.

I've tried a couple of those Benellis, and their action seems to be more modern than that of my Rem 870 and 1100/11-87s.  I though they were pretty good, but then I've only put 3 or 4 shells down range.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What do you want for it?

NVM. Enjoy it!

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#8]
heh...

How does California look at the saiga-12?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#9]
My HK M1 Super 90 shoots all types of shells flawlessly.

There is a manual shell release so that people who use the Super 90 in real world tactical situations can eject the shell in the chamber and manually load a different type of shell w/o emptying the entire magazine.

For instance, you have your mag full of buckshot but need a slug to breach a door.  Simply manually eject the buckshot shell in the chamber and slap a slug in the open chamber.  On SOME other shotgun types you'd have to manually chuck out the whole mag full of shells out to load a different type.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a tactical shotgun video and in the special features this guy from Gunsite does some speed shooting drills with MP5 and shotgun.  He compares speed on an auto and pump.  It's unbelievable.  I mean, the guy is fast but the amazing thing is the difference between pump and auto.  It's negligible.  It’s mainly the difference in the splits, not the overall time for three shots out of each.

ETA: I think that manual release on the M-1 is a "stack-lock" or something like that.  It prevents the rest of the stack in the tube from moving while manually operating the action.
And you wouldn't have to dump the whole tube in most other shotguns...you could just rack, slide a slug in the tube in the empty spot just created, since a tube fed shotgun is "last in, first out" that slug is next, rack again so you have slug in the chamber and put the two shells of buckshot you have back in.  But that's still a PITA.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

For instance, you have your mag full of buckshot but need a slug to breach a door.  Simply manually eject the buckshot shell in the chamber and slap a slug in the open chamber.  On SOME other shotgun types you'd have to manually chuck out the whole mag full of shells out to load a different type.

first off mines a bennelli, so when you pull the bolt back it wont pop another shell up in the chamber?

I guess I kinda understand the feature

but lets say you got a pump and want to do the same thing for your slug senario: pump action, shell pops out of chamber you roll shotgun to the right shell falls out, then you throw in your desired shell and within 3 seconds your up again...
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I have never worked with a auto but thats how I would do it with a pump and its fast.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1

I have a safe full of Remmy 870s and 11/87s. I like them very much.

But NOTHING compares to my M1S90.

As for pump speed....I know some cowboy action shooters who are fast as hell with their SA revolvers. They are faster than some guuys I know with 1911s and SIGs.

But that doesn't mean I will be switching over to a cowboy SA anytime soon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my M1S90.  It's been ultimately reliable with anything I've ran through it, from Wally World birdshot to full house buckshot, slugs, "tactical" reduced recoil buckshot, I haven't been able to make the thing malfunction.

And it's a lot of fun to shoot.    That's good enough reason to have one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
this weapon has a very high cool factor but really I am not that impressed, I recently helped a friend out with a ton of parts and work on some 70 series colts and his way of saying thanks was giving me his super 90

I really like the sights but me being a pump shotgun shooter for years I really dont see the advantage of the super 90.

It jams with light loads and seems a little bit "over complicated"  maybe its operator error but doesn't it seem slow to reload???

ETA:  plus with 3" shells it only holds like 4 rounds, and I think because I am in CA I cannot add a mag extension.

There's no internal magazine limit for shotguns (well maybe past 10 rounds I guess) in CA.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I like my M1S90.  It's been ultimately reliable with anything I've ran through it, from Wally World birdshot to full house buckshot, slugs, "tactical" reduced recoil buckshot, I haven't been able to make the thing malfunction.

why cant I get mine to work with bird shot?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

As for pump speed....I know some cowboy action shooters who are fast as hell with their SA revolvers. They are faster than some guuys I know with 1911s and SIGs.

exactly!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno - do you have anything hanging off it (lights, etc.)?  Do you have a side saddle on it - sometimes, overtightening the screws for the side saddle can pinch the receiver, impeding function.  Mine is stock as a rock save for a magazine extension, and runs 110% anything I've been able to fit in the magazine.

Also, don't give it a death grip in your shoulder, the weapon needs a little rearward movement to start the extraction cycle.  I haven't tried it personally, but they say you can make it malfunction on purpose by holding the buttstock against something solid, like a brick wall, then firing since the shotgun won't move rearward, the action won't cycle properly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#19]
After my divorce, I lost my M1S90. I missed it so much I went and bought an M2 Tactical last week.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno - do you have anything hanging off it (lights, etc.)?  Do you have a side saddle on it - sometimes, overtightening the screws for the side saddle can pinch the receiver, impeding function.  Mine is stock as a rock save for a magazine extension, and runs 110% anything I've been able to fit in the magazine.

Also, don't give it a death grip in your shoulder, the weapon needs a little rearward movement to start the extraction cycle.  I haven't tried it personally, but they say you can make it malfunction on purpose by holding the buttstock against something solid, like a brick wall, then firing since the shotgun won't move rearward, the action won't cycle properly.

Huh thats strange, I was giving it a death grip because I figured It shouldn't be "limp wristed"

so it actually works better if you dont death grip it?  I would figure the action would move the shotgun wouldn't???
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
After my divorce, I lost my M1S90. I missed it so much I went and bought an M2 Tactical last week.

Is that NJ compliant???

Ahz mean
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I would really like to have one but I am not willing to pay 1K for a 12ga
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I went out and bought the lightest target loads I could find for a shotgun class I was gonna take with my 870. Anyway, I got sick and was unable to take the class so I had all of these light loads just laying around my house.

After I got my M1 S90 I decided to just try the light loads to see what happens.

Long story short, I've been using those light loads for every rifle/shotgun match I've shot and with no problems.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Man you gotta be doinbg something wrong.  Mine is sweet and smooth and runs perfectly.  Use 1 and 1/8 oz loads and it works fine with any power.  The shell release button is for selecting one shell.  Maybe you should call and ask for an owners manual.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I paid $600 for mine from someone here that had it sitting in his safe for a long time w/ only 50 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I just sold my M1 S90 last week and she was tricked out with everythign and the lil bit i did shoot it, it was flawless and super fast, I now have a new M4 (11707) and its gas operated and an absolute pleasure to shoot and for me, shotguns get no better than Benelli's! I have Remingtons, Mossy's, Ithacas, Winchesters etc and none of them compare to the Benelli in many categories...the one drawback to B's is the price..thats all..
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Can you shoot so fast that 4 shots sounds like one long shot with the M90?

You can with a Winchester M12.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Huh thats strange, I was giving it a death grip because I figured It shouldn't be "limp wristed"

so it actually works better if you dont death grip it?  I would figure the action would move the shotgun wouldn't???

If you hang on to the shotgun real tight, you may limit it's rearward movement which won't allow the bolt head to move backwards and compress the spring between the bolt head and bolt body, not giving the spring tension to fling the bolt rearward to unlock, extract, cock the hammer and fly back into battery.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's no internal magazine limit for shotguns (well maybe past 10 rounds I guess) in CA.

Actually there is, depending on what stock you have. There is a limit if you are using the pistol grip stock.

Here is a link to the manual in PDF form from Benelli's site. Manual
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that NJ compliant???

Who gives a fuck? I'm not in New Jersey.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that NJ compliant???

Who gives a fuck?

Good answer!  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Can you shoot so fast that 4 shots sounds like one long shot with the M90?

You can with a Winchester M12.

I can empty it before the first spent shell hits the ground.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I love mine. Never a problem.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

All the Benellis have this trait. My Benelli legacy can dump 5 rounds quicker than people can believe.

I can fire all 5 shots before the first shell ever hits the ground.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#36]
How is the muzzle climb on these in rapid fire?

Has anyone ported their barrel?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Has anyone ported their barrel?

I wasn't able to rapid-fire mine the one chance I got to fire it, but I do recall that muzzle climb in regular fire wasn't all that bad. The recoil came straight back through the shoulder.

As for porting, I'm no expert on its usefullness, but I should warn folks looking at the newer M2 Tactical is set up for chokes, and brings three of them. I suspect you cannot port a choked shotgun even if you wanted to.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Remember the Benelli is "inertial operated" you need that little bit of rearward movement to unlock the bolt. Just relax and go with the flow.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember the Benelli is "inertial operated" you need that little bit of rearward movement to unlock the bolt. Just relax and go with the flow.

cool I will give that a try.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Not too bad. I find it to be very controllable even with rapid fire.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You can get them used in Michigan for around $600. I paid $579 for mine. A buddy of mine bought the same gun, same price in another town.

I love mine, it feeds light loads and runs great on "tactical" loads.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a pre-94 HK M1 Super 90
2000 plus rounds thru it, zero failures.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#43]
If you really prefer the pumps stick with them.

Earlier this year, I nearly cutoff my left hand.  I found I could no longer reliably operate a pump.  If your hand got hurt during a fight, could you?

I'll stick with my benelli.

SRM
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All the Benellis have this trait. My Benelli legacy can dump 5 rounds quicker than people can believe.

I can fire all 5 shots before the first shell ever hits the ground.

Mine has a mag extention. Though I'm sure all Benellis can still do it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm sure you guys jnew it would be asked so here goes:

I purchased my M1S90 with a pistol grip stock. It came with a mag extension. Is this a legal configuration? OBTW....I have put a short extension on it until I can resolve this question.

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Try running a box or two of heavy 3" magnums through the gun to break it in.

My Super Black Eagle would not cycle light target loads, but after shooting a few boxes of 3" mags, it will cycle anything fro 3 1/2" goose loads, to 2 3/4" trap loads.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Mine has a mag extention. Though I'm sure all Benellis can still do it.

You bought the ugly black one, I bought the pretty one with the figured walnut and two tone receiver...

Mine gets more girls....
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I purchased my M1S90 with a pistol grip stock. It came with a mag extension. Is this a legal configuration? OBTW....I have put a short extension on it until I can resolve this question.

Bomber

Mag extensions are legal unless you are in a state with wierd laws...
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bomber

Mag extensions are legal unless you are in a state with wierd laws...

I too thought there was some kinda catch with having a semi automatic shotgun with a mag extension and a pistol grip?  Conventional stock is okay, but something about the "obviously protruding pistol grip?"
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Earlier this year, I nearly cutoff my left hand.  I found I could no longer reliably operate a pump.  If your hand got hurt during a fight, could you?

And there you identify a crucial point:

A couple of the officers at the FBI shootout were using pump-action 12 guage shotguns. They were wounded during the fight and found it difficult if not impossible to continue to use the weapons effectively.

I have an 870 three feet away that is set up for tactical duty....but I would much prefer a good reliable Benelli as a weapon I take to combat.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top