Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2006 10:09:00 PM EDT
They are hiring Rural Postal Carriers in Central NM. Who has or has had this job, and what can you tell me about it? Job quality, etc?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
my mom is a RCA in louisiana. She loves it. Been doing it several years now.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Here, they drive mutt cars that look like props from Mad Max.  I don't know if they have to provide their own, or what  Just curious how that works elsewhere.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
The RMCs I see all have right-side  steering. Easier to get to the mailbox.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Or a bench seat with an automatic transmission. Driving from the passenger side, steering with the left hand, and using the left foot for brakes and accelerator.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Or a bench seat with an automatic transmission. Driving from the passenger side, steering with the left hand, and using the left foot for brakes and accelerator.

I know that fellas...I'm talking the overall vehicles.  Where do they get them?  Does the government buy beaters at auction and send them off to be fitted, or what?  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:18:42 AM EDT
[#6]

mutt cars that look like props from Mad Max

LOL hadn't thought of 'em like that. But driving a beater makes sense. I wonder if there are any vehicles (other than USPO vehicles) that are easy to convert?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know about now,but Jeep used to make the Wrangler with RHS.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:19:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Overall I would think the job would be above average, but that also depends on where you live and local econony.. Not sure what the pay scale is, but you get Federal holidays, benefits, retirement... I am assuming you would be a full time employee though.

Im a state worker (tax auditor) and co-workers bitch and moan all the time about the state.. But we get around 11 holidays (plus extra days as the governor feels generous).. The Virginia retirement system is rated one of the top 5 or so in the nation. .. Our health insurance premiums are very reasonable (i pay about $130/mth for my wife and I - My wife was just had outpatient gall bladder surgery and it cost us $100 out of pocket, followed by two hospital stays, each costing us $300 out of pocket), and I get way too much leave time each year (total of all categories would be around 220 hours/yr) .. SO with that said, there will always be someone bitching about their job/employer and others like me that are tickled pink to have my job...

good luck in your decision..

brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top