Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2006 8:02:19 AM EDT
I was wondering how many of you have ever started a fire without matches or lighter etc. and what you think the best method is using only materials you'd find in nature.

I have never done this before and I think it would be a cool skill to learn, even if I never have to use it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#1]
We have a saying down here in the south: "Shit fire and save the matches.", so I ASSume it can be done...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Magnifying glass > flint > bow drill
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Magnifying glass > flint > bow drill

what he said, except I have never tried any friction methods. But then again it has been 6 years or so since I have slept outdoors.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#4]
My buddy started one with a old Monza.  Too high of dried out grass, oil leak ,  very hot converter.   What a waste of beer it was putting the damn thing out.

He ended up having his leg / foot ran over by the POS on a diff. time.  Dumb idiot thought he had it in  N, it started rolling , he opened the door and fell down.

People here say stupid hurts, but he keeps chugging along.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a bar of magnesium and flint.  You scrape off a bit of magnesium and strike the flint with an old hacksaw blade with sparks hitting the magnesium shavings(the enclosed package uses a knife, I would use the knife IF I had nothing else), and voila fire.  Available at your local Wall-Mart.

There various devices that can create sparks that is available from various suppliers, they cost between $5-$20.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#6]
No I haven't but from what I've heard the any of the rubbing two sticks together, it takes hours and your likely to have a few blisters too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have started non-match/lighter/chemical fires with:

Bow
Flint and steel
Magnesium starter
Fire piston

I saw a fire get started via ungrounded, accidental "lightning rod" scaffolding left up by stupid people building on a hill once.

I have seen haystack fires - don't discount natural chemical reactions!

Of the fires I have actually caused or intended caused, the fire piston is pretty much the coolest.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes

I have done it with a bow drill technique and trough technique.

I have also done it with flint.

I have done it with a mag fire starter too.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes

How long does it take to start it with the bow? or the trough
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried the bow and friction method a couple of years ago just to see if I could do it in an emergency situation, and after about 45 minutes actually did get it to work ... frigging tiring though, and I got a blisters on my hands. Other methods that have been mentioned (magnifying glass, flint/mag) I'd done in the scouts as a kid, those are much easier, but useless if you don't happen to be carrying either item with you.

I keep a Bic lighter, and 2 packs of matches in my glove compartment all the time just on general principle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#12]
My job requires survival training(of a sort) in case of a downed aircraft or other emergency. I started fires with a magnesium flint, a flint and steel(way before survival training) and magnifying glass. I saw on survivorman where he used a rifle to start a fire. he was in polar bear country and they made him take it. He pulled the bullet with his leatherman and dumped some of the powder and used the remaining to get his tinder going with a blast from the rifle(after he rechambered the depleted round.) He used alsoused the leathermann to crimp the open mouth of the cartridge so the powder wouldn't fall out. It work but took several tries.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes

How long does it take to start it with the bow? or the trough

I had a peice of hickory has the rake and half a pine log as a trough. The pine was a little damp but the hickory was nice and dry.

From getting the small amount of embers to the tender and having it take off it took me about 20-25 mins. It seemed like the embers went out about every other time or the tender would just burn to a certian point and stop.

The bow was faster, but it was one of those kits  that the Boy Scouts sold.

edited to add

Wow, took one guy 45 min,  now  I don't feel so damn bad.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My job requires survival training(of a sort) in case of a downed aircraft or other emergency. I started fires with a magnesium flint, a flint and steel(way before survival training) and magnifying glass. I saw on survivorman where he used a rifle to start a fire. he was in polar bear country and they made him take it. He pulled the bullet with his leatherman and dumped some of the powder and used the remaining to get his tinder going with a blast from the rifle(after he rechambered the depleted round.) He used alsoused the leathermann to crimp the open mouth of the cartridge so the powder wouldn't fall out. It work but took several tries.

I read about that method in a book called something like  "how to stay alive in the woods"
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a big sense of accomplishment from making your own fire from scratch. If you watched Survivor it's easy to bag on the fools who didn't didn't know how to use a magnesium bar and striker. If you never did it before you don't really know if you can do it.

I'm working my way back from most recent to oldest fire making methods.

I've got the magnesium bar and steel down pat. Not that hard but there is plenty of technique involved.

I've most recently started to use a true piece of flint and a blacksmith made piece of steel. That's really cool. Even easier than the mag bar.

Next, I'll master the plow method. I've had smoke from this in the past but my God is it tiring.

-M
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
It was one of the requirements of getting my mancard...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#17]
+1

on the magnifying glass, it works the quickest! but you need nice sunny weather
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive used the bow trick, flint/steel and magnesium starters. Havnt done it in years though.

what was fun in boy scouts was to then boil water in a paper cup next to the fire you started
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Sure.   Grab a boy scout and rub his legs together.   Instant fire.

The bow method would be the one I'd go for.  

But my outdoors kit includes a powerful magnifying glass that will get a fire started in
one hell of a hurry.  Granted, it's not useful without direct sunlight available,  but I
don't see any problem with starting a fire when the sun's available and then banking
some coals and keeping an ember running all the time.

And have you seen that video of the flashlight that's so intense that it sets paper on
fire in a few seconds?   That could be useful!

CJ

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't tried, but I think I can start a fire with this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#21]
YES

Follow. But! Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived! Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#22]
you should ask this in the survival forum, those guys could start  fire with a spoon and a glass of water!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
you should ask this in the survival forum, those guys could start  fire with a spoon and a glass of water!

I thought it was a chocolate bar.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I can start a fire w/ a can of Coke and a Hershey bar.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I can start a fire w/ a can of Coke and a Hershey bar.

Mythbusters blew that one outta the water if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Being able to start fires from "nothing" is a good skill to have.

Learn them.

GM
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I am competent with the bow-drill method as well as a couple of others, but they all universally suck...which is why I carry a blastmatch, mag bar/flint and other assorted "easy" fire-making gear.

Checking my pockets I have no less than four methods of making fire, none of which includes the matches or lighters on/about my person.

Sheep
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I can piss napalm!

Though, it may have been that chick from a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I have made fire from :

flint + steel
mag glass
and 9 volt battery and steel wool .

The last one is my current favorite .

" Be prepared "

Boyscouts rocks .
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I've done with with a knife, flint and dried up cat tails.

Thats about it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I've done the bow, magnifying glass, and steel wool and battery.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was wondering how many of you have ever started a fire without matches or lighter etc. and what you think the best method is using only materials you'd find in nature.

I have never done this before and I think it would be a cool skill to learn, even if I never have to use it.

Are the magnifying glass trees next to the magnesium bushes?

I get my steel wool from the robot sheep.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the magnifying glass trees next to the magnesium bushes?

I saw somewhere that you can fashion a piece of ice into a lens and use that to start a fire...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I am pretty sure that using materials only found in nature, I could start a fire with my hemroids alone.

Fuck do they burn!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I've made fire from flint and steel and a drill turned with a bow.

Matches are a lot easier than either.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Yea...actually I did.  I set a shitload of brush on fire with an M-79 bloop gun and a red (or green...I can't recall which!) cluster flare!  It was about 0300.  The BGs that had been putting the sneak on us for hours were REALLY pissed when they had to flee the fire.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yea...actually I did.  I set a shitload of brush on fire with an M-79 bloop gun and a red (or green...I can't recall which!) cluster flare!  It was about 0300.  The BGs that had been putting the sneak on us for hours were REALLY pissed when they had to flee the fire.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top