Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2006 8:52:05 PM EDT
If your body was about to expire: accident, disease, or old age, and you had the option of tranfering your brain or at least your consciousness into a syntheic body and thus become a cyborg, would you do it?

Upside: virtual eternal life

Downside: since your new body is no longer wired to the puppet master of biochemistry (instinct, glands, hormones, etc.), you would no longer have any physical urges; all your actions for the rest of your life would be determined by intellectual decisions (this could be a blessing also, but you could no longer be considered to be fully "human").

So...which would it be: Cyborgization, or Death?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTP cyborg!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
False dilemma.  You will be assimilated.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#3]

My prediction:

Men in general would choose the cyborg option, whereas women would choose to die.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Give me the Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 combat chassis!

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
No, I wouldn't. Now, eternal life as in a Highlander-style life extension, that would be worth jumping on.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I want the Ghost In The Shell fully mechnical body

Id dump this defective POS god gave me in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Cyborg.  I'm half way there already
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1  As long as it comes with a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range...
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Roboman!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I would happily allow for my distinctiveness to be added to the collective.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I'd rather be a Cyborg than human, so I'd definitely rather be a cyborg than dead.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I was thinking of an biomechanical android-type body like Bishop from Aliens, not a steel armature, like the Terminator (that would be kind of creepy)

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Where do I sign up?

I welcome our new cybernetic overlords.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#14]
If I could retain my full conscience, and didn't look like a friggin transformer, and had full operation (and normal pleasurable tactile sensation/feedback from) my johnson, why not? (cyborg that is)
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Being from CA you should be able to explain to us what it feels like,  I do not think I would like being neutered.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I think I'd rather be a Cyborg than human, so I'd definitely rather be a cyborg than dead.

+1

I would want to be a "Ghost In The Shell" type of cyborg.

Super strong, fast, damn hard to kill, and fully functional in bed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My prediction:

Men in general would choose the cyborg option, whereas women would choose to die.

This woman would much rather be a cyborg.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If I could retain my full conscience, and didn't look like a friggin transformer, and had full operation (and normal pleasurable tactile sensation/feedback from) my johnson, why not? (cyborg that is)

Your "johnson" might be functional, but without testosterone you would not want to do anything with it
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Cyborg.

If being dead is fun why hasn't anyone come back to invite us to the party?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I would want to be a "Ghost In The Shell" type of cyborg.

Super strong, fast, damn hard to kill, and fully functional in bed.

But Ghost in the Shell type cyborgs can't even get drunk!

Count me among the CYBORGS!  But getting crunk shall be enabled
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your "johnson" might be functional, but without testosterone you would not want to do anything with it

Which would piss me off and make me a killing machine!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for the Ghost in the Shell stuff.  Still functional in bed, and you'd have much longer stamina!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry, no sexy cyborgs.

Sex is part of your biological heritage, which would have to be left behind forever.

Would that be a deal-breaker...with Death as the alternative?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My prediction:

This woman would much rather be a cyborg.

Then you are somewhat unusual for a woman - which is supported by the fact that you are posting here in the first place!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sorry, no sexy cyborgs.

Sex is part of your biological heritage, which would have to be left behind forever.

So then would we be able to experience pleasure of any kind?

Endorphin rush is also biological, would that also disappear?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I think that more realistically there would be a transition between the two states, that as you age for either medical or elective reasons more and more biological subsystems are replaced by superior synthetic ones.

I also think that when we have the technology to do this, (which may be sooner then many suspect) that we will be able to provide all the sensory stimuli to the brain through synthetic means so you might be able to have best of both worlds.

Even if you can't I would take being a cyborg.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sorry, no sexy cyborgs.

If that meant I could have no pleasurable feelings at all, johnson or otherwise (thus meaning I did not retain my full conscience), then I'd already be dead.

Holding out hope for a software patch....
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Sorry, no sexy cyborgs.

If I can't screw any more, I choose DEATH!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#29]
The synthetic body would of course have skin sensors for feedback (to enable locomotion and to prevent injury), but I think any "pleasure" you would feel would be a kind of memory of what doing the same actions would have resulted in while you were in your original body.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry, no sexy cyborgs.

If that meant I could have no pleasurable feelings at all, johnson or otherwise (thus meaning I did not retain my full conscience), then I'd already be dead.

Holding out hope for a software patch....

That's what I'm saying.  I'd have to be able to take pleasure in SOMETHING I do, whether it be shooting BG's or impressing people with my building-to-building leaps or something.

Otherwise, fuck it.  Why live forever when you experience no pleasure at all?  For knowledge?  Who cares, if it doesn't make you happy.  You wouldn't even be happy about living forever, so what the fuck?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Intellectual pleasure, yes, because that does not result from physical stimulus.

You would keep your full civil rights, so you could keep all your property.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
No, I wouldn't. Now, eternal life as in a Highlander-style life extension, that would be worth jumping on.

Just try not to lose your head.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/Terminator1001.jpg

Hell yeah!  Except I would rather have the T1000 platform.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Intellectual pleasure, yes, because that does not result from physical stimulus.

You would keep your full civil rights, so you could keep all your property.

But taking in information IS a physical stimulus.  You read, your brain interprets it, you realize you have become more knowledgeable, and this releases endorphins, serotonin, etc. creating a sense of pleasure.

This needs to be retained in the cyborgs.  Take away the ability to produce pleasure-producing neurological chemicals, and life is no longer fun.  

So by your definition a cyborg cannot be subject to TACTILE pleasure?  What about auditory, such as listening to beautiful music?  You said that one could gain pleasure intellectually, so then are reading for pleasure, listening to music, and comparing fine foods okay?

If that is the case, I don't know how or why you would purposefully limit tactile pleasure.  It should be included if you can experience pleasure at all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Seriously I would not choose to be a cyborg.

Life without emotion would suck, to exist as a 'machine' knowing neither love, hate,pleasure, or pain to exist as a walking 'data' bank is not what I'd consider life.

I want it all. and if I can't have it, then I don't want anything less. Since I already know what I'd be giving up anything less would be pointless....
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Cyborg, at least for a year or two for the experience, if it sucked I could take out my batteries and die.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I would choose death. I, personally, only want to be around for a limited time. Living forever holds no appeal to me.

James
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The synthetic body would of course have skin sensors for feedback (to enable locomotion and to prevent injury), but I think any "pleasure" you would feel would be a kind of memory of what doing the same actions would have resulted in while you were in your original body.

Wait a minute!  Lasted I checked my "Johnson" was covered with skin.  Ah, lets see........Yep! Still covered with skin.  If you could have skin sensors for feedback for locomotion and to prevent injury you could have sensors for pleasure.  All you would need would be a device that would give you the correct dose of synthetic testosterone to give you the urge.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd take the cyborg.  If I don't like it I can always kill myself off later.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Somethign along the lines of the Terminator; metal endoskeleton (titanium endoskeleton, with carbon fiber/kevlar hybrid components; almost build like an F1 supercar, lightweight yet strong. Keep weight down to around 250 pounds.

All chassis components controled by electrical impulses from the brain (the only part that would be actually human); genetically replicated internal organs encased in an armature designed to be flexible, yet strong. The cavity which would hold these artificially engineered organs would be sterile, probably made out of advanced copolymers ; then cover everything with a bioengineered "skin" that would be criss crossed with millions of small "nerves" made out of fiber optic sensors that would replicate the human nervous system to perfection.

It sounds like something out of a Sci Fi novel, or a Japanese anime movie like "Ghost In The Shell", but give it a few decades for the technology to mature; we already artificial limbs that react to cold and heat and we are now capable (in the early stages) to replicate domesticated animals through genetic manipulation.

I see the possibility within probably 50 years as an honest estimate.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Darth Vader

Robocop

Cain
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Cyborg. I could still shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top