Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/27/2006 8:10:39 AM EDT
bdu's, acu's and others, but no one sells issue marpat new, just surplus used and only in size small?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
bdu's, acu's and others, but no one sells issue marpat new, just surplus used and only in size small?
Think about this for a while, and the answer will come to you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#2]
not realy, propper sells issue ACU to the public... what makes marpat any diffrent?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Nobody sells Marpat because Marpat is produced only under contract from the Marine Corps.

You can by it in the PX all day long if you are qualified to shop there, but you won't find it being sold new by surplus stores, unless it is stolen from one of the issue facilities, or is otherwise misappropriated. I don't think the companies are even authorized to sell factory seconds.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#4]
It has the EGA on it, thus only who have earned it should wear it, I wish the Army had done something similar with ACU, we need to instill some pride in being a Soldier as the Marines have, not that it would do much but it would be a start...
In other news.. at Dick's the other day, i saw a bunch of ACU pattern stuff in the hunting section, I have no idea what dumbass would use this stuff for hunting over thing that actually work in the woods of CT.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#5]
dicks sells cheep marpat patteren as well..
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It has the EGA on it, thus only who have earned it should wear it, I wish the Army had done something similar with ACU, we need to instill some pride in being a Soldier as the Marines have, not that it would do much but it would be a start...
In other news.. at Dick's the other day, i saw a bunch of ACU pattern stuff in the hunting section, I have no idea what dumbass would use this stuff for hunting over thing that actually work in the woods of CT.

Steve

You mean all those people who were wearing the "FDNY" hats didn't all belong to the FDNY????
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#7]
3 pages

max
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I can get Marpat anytime I want over the counter (BX/PX), but after having to wearing camo for so long, I dont feel the need to wear it anymore. I gave away alot of my stuff when I retired...traded it for my AR
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Because you not to be trusted with it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the Propper stuff that Steyr Aug sold was a copy without the EGA stuff.  I've actually never examined it that closely and there's nothing on it that suggests it was for the Marines.

I'm guessing 3 pages too....

The secret is below......

www.hyperstealth.com/CADPAT-MARPAT.htm
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Why do you need MARPAT as you call it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#12]
You can pick it up at your local exchange.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't really care for it BUT....we paid for it, we should be able to have it if we want it.
I prefer multicam by far.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Get legal issue Marpats in 5 steps.

1. Call your local USMC Recruiter
2. Go to MEPS
3.  Raise your right hand and swear to support and defend the Constitution
4.  Go to MCRD either PI or SD, graduate and earn the right to wear it.
5.  Get deployed and actually use it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

because i want it, why does anyone "need" anything...

BTW, this is on wiki  on ACU's

Field Test Results
Although the Army Combat Uniform isn't a 100% solution for all environments, it serves its purpose in most places where it is needed. But further research and testing of troops fielding the ACU returned alarming results: In moon-lit, night-time operations scenarios, troops wearing the ACU pattern seemed to almost glow in the dark because of the light color of their uniforms, especially in areas of open desert terrain, where the beige and light tan shown exceptionally bright, whereas troops in the BDU and MARPAT patterns fared quite better than their ACU-wearing brothers-in-arms. The Army is now currently researching a solution to this problem. A new uniform has not been mentioned as of right now, but one can only conclude that it would be the most logical solution, as re-ordering thousands of uniforms made only in a different color configuration would not only waste thousands of dollars, but also use up valuable time that could be used for other research purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Combat_Uniform
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think the OP's user name says it all.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I don't really care for it BUT....we paid for it, we should be able to have it if we want it.
The USMC paid for it's development, and individual Marines pay for the actual uniforms.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

i have a few sets of bdu's, acu's, multicam, and now marpat is being shipped by a friend right now
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the OP's user name says it all.

Indeed!
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The USMC paid for it's development, and individual Marines pay for the actual uniforms.

Ahem.....we, the lowly taxpayers, pay the bills that the USMC and every other govt. agency submit.
The Marines do buy their own but that wasn't the point of this thread.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#25]

That pretty much sums it up.

It's camo.  Other than supply problems there's no good reason to not let Joe Schmoe buy a set.  Substituting gun control with camo control?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you that blind, or did  you not stop to think before typing? The USMC has no income or source of revenue. They do not charge for their operations. Instead, they are fully paid for by the US taxpayer, and thus serve the US Taxpayer who elects the POTUS to represent them collectively.

No wonder why we are heading into a nanny state with voters like your understanding on how our govenment works.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The USMC doesn't "pay" for anything, they use our money.
The USMC uses the funds allocated to them by the DOD and Congress to fund everything they do.

Obviously that money originates at the taxpayer level. In fact, nearly all of the money that finances everything done by they government comes from taxpayers.

However, paying taxes does not entitle you to purchase trademarked uniforms made under contract from the military. By that logic, you could also argue that if you pay enough in taxes you should be able to get recreation flights on F-18s or have Marines come over and cut your grass on the weekends.

The USMC is givin funding to use as they see fit. They saw fit to design a good combat uniform with a good camoflauge pattern and to trademark it. They see fit to allow it's manufacture only by companies that agree to sell it only to the Marine Corps.

I don't really care who has Marpat camo. I'll sell mine to people if they are willing to pay enough for it.

I just don't believe that every taxpayer is entitled to demand whatever they want simply because they pay taxes.

Trademarking it and allowing only a limited number of manufacturers produce it has the added benefit of ensuring that Marines are using quality uniforms. I have seem some really low quality uniforms in use by Marines who wanted to replace their BDU type cammies but didn't want to spend the money. I've seen some shitty ACU knockoffs in use during my time in the National Guard as well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#28]
camo samples

ACU, MARPAT, woodlen, tri color, digi desert, chocolate chip netting and real tree.

same from a distance

Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you that blind, or did  you not stop to think before typing? The USMC has no income or source of revenue. They do not charge for their operations. Instead, they are fully paid for by the US taxpayer, and thus serve the US Taxpayer who elects the POTUS to represent them collectively.

No wonder why we are heading into a nanny state with voters like your understanding on how our govenment works.
Not blind at all. Nor did I fail to think before typing, although I didn't go into as much detail as was probably needed to make my point well.

Simply paying taxes does not entitle you to anything other than the services that taxes cover.

You want a Marine Corps? Great, your tax money makes that possible. Your taxes are broken up and part of the money goes to the Marine Corps to be spent in the way that they deem most fit.

However, your taxpaying status does not equal ownership of everything government related.

I'm sure a couple of dollars from my taxes go to buy gear for cops in town, but I don't feel that I should be able to walk into a store and buy an Albany Police Department badge.

My grandparents' tax money in the 1950's financed a ton of nuclear research and development, but you don't see them asking for design plans for nuclear warheads.

Hell, since you pay taxes and taxes indirectly pay the salaries of government employees, maybe the Marine Corps ought to have some guys come over and wash your car.

Link Posted: 12/27/2006 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Nobody sells Marpat because Marpat is produced only under contract from the Marine Corps.

You can by it in the PX all day long if you are qualified to shop there, but you won't find it being sold new by surplus stores, unless it is stolen from one of the issue facilities, or is otherwise misappropriated. I don't think the companies are even authorized to sell factory seconds.

Only Marines can buy it in the PX (or the MCX to be more precise).  Tried to buy one for a Marine relative at the MCAS Beaufort Exchange and they wouldn't sell it to me.

Spect the Marines have also copyrighted their pattern, and who would you rather have a copyright infringement fight with, Ralph Lauren, Louis Vuitton or the Marines?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#31]
As far as the ACU showing up at night under moonlight, well that's not all that surprising.  NO camo is going to be great under all conditions.  Woodland green sucks in most desert DAYTIME conditions, but at night it probably works wonders compared to any of the lighter day camos.

You have to go with what gives you the best in the working conditions you are in most of the time.  Hence ninja black, at night GREAT, in the day? Shoot me first.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#32]
my surplus store has new marpat, and cadpat if I wanted it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't really care who has Marpat camo. I'll sell mine to people if they are willing to pay enough for it.

Really?  You want Mohammed Cameljockey going to the online store at Sportsman's Warehouse and ordering dozens of our latest issue uniforms?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I can get Marpat anytime I want over the counter (BX/PX), but after having to wearing camo for so long, I dont feel the need to wear it anymore. I gave away alot of my stuff when I retired...traded it for my AR
I gave mine to the local Goodwill,I suspect there's some homeless folks out there running around  in it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Really?  You want Mohammed Cameljockey going to the online store at Sportsman's Warehouse and ordering dozens of our latest issue uniforms?

If we put optical brighteners in the fabric, I think it would be great! Glow in the dark under Gen 3? GREAT!
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Since various third-world govts have perfected counterfeit US currency I would assert that they could likewise handle a simple textile pattern. Point being if they want it enough they can get it, whether through Sportsman's Guide or Jamal's Jihad Hut.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The USMC doesn't "pay" for anything, they use our money.

Shows what you know.

The USMC paid for it's new camo pattern with a pot luck supper and a holiday craft fair.  They had all the grunts gluing macaroni to toilet paper rolls for MONTHS for that shit.. You guys could show a little respect.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't know if you where once an active duty marine, but I can see how you would only want MARPAT, I think I would feel a little funny In ACUs too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Horseshit.

Me wearing MARPAT (All of which I own given to me by Marines, btw, who thought it hilarious that someone would make the argument you do) no more makes me a Marine than wearing a blue flight suit would make me a Blue Angel.

Huge difference in wearing a pair of MARPAT trousers in the woods and wearing the EGA badge.

If you think clothes make a Marine, or ACU makes a soldier, you're delusional.

As for me wearing it, well, I paid for it's development, Marines gave it to me, and told me to enjoy, so I'll go with what they said.

This topic is Verboten, so I'm out before the lock.

SG
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

You mean all those people who were wearing the "FDNY" hats didn't all belong to the FDNY????

Or all those proud mothers, fathers, husbands and wives of Marines who have EGA stickers on the backs of their cars.  They are not qualified to display the EGA and therefore are doing the Corps a dishonor.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#41]
You took my post the wrong way. I was simply saying the Corps has a stronger sense of pride in their whole Corps than Soldiers do, where their pride lays more in their unit and branch than the whole Army. I have no problem with the stickers or any of that, my parents have an Army sticker on their vehicles. My point in the part about the uniform is that it is far more institutionalized in the USMC than the Army. That is all. My apologies if anyone took it the wrong way.
I still say anyone who buys any of that ACU crap at Dicks is a fool because as we all know, ACU stands out in the woods and there are far better alternatives available for hunters in New England.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Not at all.

Frankly, I think military uniforms should have the same restrictions for wear as police uniforms, and that their possesion should be limited to serving members of the military just for that reason.

It is quite easy to dress up in a uniform, put a campaign cover on your head, and walk up to any recruit on any training base in the country and have him hand over his rifle. It has been done before. Access to bases is very easy, and with someone on the inside, you could steal all kinds of shit. The Manson Family managed to get a bunch of grenades from Camp Pendleton in the '60s by having someone on the inside steal them. Many guards only check the driver's ID, which could allow you to easily drop a carload of terrorists of anywhere on the base.

Not having access to real uniforms could help prevent this, just as not having access to real police uniforms helps prevent people from easily pretending to be cops.

Of course, military uniforms will never be restricted like that, due to the huge number of them in circulation.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#43]
I can buy all the military camo at the local surplus store. I think the Army Acu would be perfect for hunting here in sage brush, desert and the quakies. I would however feel very awkward wearing them since I am not in the army, so I have found other hunting patterns that will work just fine. Knee surgery has kept me out, If I can get in I will proudly wear the camo hunting or not.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#44]
This whole discussion reminds me of two women who've discovered they're both wearing the same outfit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#45]
you must not have been to Baghdad black markets.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Get legal issue Marpats in 5 steps.

1. Call your local USMC Recruiter
2. Go to MEPS
3.  Raise your right hand and swear to support and defend the Constitution
4.  Go to MCRD either PI or SD, graduate and earn the right to wear it.
5.  Get deployed and actually use it.

Well, sure, but then it will be used, not new...
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
This whole discussion reminds me of two women who've discovered they're both wearing the same outfit.

This Marpat® thing will never die.  The irony is how close you'd have to be to someone where they could actually see the EGA in the pattern...by then you'd either be a Marine or dead.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Ok. For all the "I can wear anything I want" crowd, here's a thought: Perception is reality. The general public knows very little about uniforms or those of us who wear them every day, and if they see somebody in a set of badly worn, knockoff ACU's, then they will naturally assume that said person is a Soldier looking like a ragbag, and make other assumptions accordingly.

I see no problem with restricting uniforms to servicemembers only. I can't count the number of slobs I've seen wearing unauthorized ACU pattern "uniforms", and it makes me vomit a little to see people disrespecting a uniform I had to earn the right to wear.

I like the Marines' take on things. It contributes to Esprit de Corps in a time when such things are frowned upon by the sheep, and we in the Army could take a page or two from the jarheads on this issue. I'm sick of watching my Army go down the toilet because nobody gives a shit anymore.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#49]
The surplus store near me has the real MARPAT in stock with the Eagle Globe and Anchor, I bought the pants and a pair of shorts(which are not real issue)
I wouldn't buy the blouse or top as it has an Eagle Globe and Anchor on it, and I have not earned the right to wear that.
But the store does have them and they are they actual issue items.

Command Post on Longpoint near Campbell in Houston.

Not to hijack but whats the rule on covers? Specifically boonie hats? Are those "kosher" to wear? They don't have any without the EG&A and that's why I haven't purchased one of those either.

ETA: What's the rule on USMC Shirts? I have a ton given to me mainly by MSG guys, from a bunch of different embassies with their detachment logos on them. I.E.: MSG Detachment, Geneva, Switzerland etc. I also have a 1st Recon shirt a buddy sent me. I wear them in the house but not on the street.
But what's the rule on a regular USMC Shirt? What's "kosher"?
I don't play football for Notre Dame but I wear that shirt out.
However I don't wear my cool USMC shirts out because I am not a Marine(YET!!!) and wouldn't wanna be a poser.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Wearing a Marine Corps shirt is fine, as long as you aren't out pretending to be a Marine.

In fact, that policy works pretty well for uniform items like covers and such as well.

Like one of the posters above said, perception is reality. If you are going to wear it, wear it while you are acting civilized.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top