Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2001 7:23:33 AM EDT
Anybody know of any tactical radios or radios with a range better than 5 miles?  We're looking for something to use in our disaster recovery plan and the higher ups are pretty spread out here.  Cell phone coverage is not that good so we'd like some kind of dedicated solution.  

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm fairly new in the area of radios, but you should find out if there's a repeator available.  A repeator will essentially take your transmission and broadcast it over the networks coverage area.  Use of a repeator will require a GMRS radio which can operate with a repeator.  Otherwise you may need to consider a "mobile" solution, but mobile means a GMRS unit which is mobile in the sense that it'll be in a Car or home-based.  I don't know of any radios (Handheld) that are above 5 Watts. This wattage will give ~5 miles "line of sight" coverage and are compatible with the mobile units.  Use of these radios will require a GMRS license which will be under $100.00 for 5 years.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Get your ham radio license and take advantage of the equipment thats already out there.  With my mobile radio not using a repeater I can hit people 50 miles away using 50Watts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Blaze:

What type of "disaster recovery plan" are you looking for?  City / Family.. etc.

For family plan - try HAM (Amateur Radio).  You have to take a test (just a few dollars) and the liscense is good for 10 years (and renewable every 10 years, no test).
Advantages: Lots of equipment out there, for 2-meter contacts using repeaters range is very far (I have made contacts over 200 miles on our local repeater when conditions are right).  Typical range over a repeater is about a 100-mile diameter.
Simplex (radio-to-radio commo) is about 10 miles normal, but can be increased greatly with amplifiers and beam antennas. (No repeater to go thru).
Try [url]http://www.arrl.org/hamradio.html[/url]
and [url]http://www.qrz.com/[/url]

HAM radio is practical and FUN!
Disadvantage - - each individual needs a liscense.

- - - - - -
GMRS - as the wolf said in his post - GMRS can be used thru a repeater or simplex.  Yes the handhelds are limited to 5 watts.  These radios share some of the FRS frequencies (FRS is limited to 0.5 watts).
Advantages - one liscense covers your family.
Disadvantages - fairly new, limited repeaters available.
Cost of radios about the same as HAM, but the repeater is very expensive.  Most areas of our country are already covered by Amateur repeaters.
GMRS page: [url]http://www.g-m-r-s.org/[/url]

Cell phones will be down when the power goes out at the cell tower.  If a disaster strikes and power is on, cell phone service will be overloaded (happened in NYC - Amateur Radio Operators set up communication posts thruout the city).

- - - -
Plug for HAM Radio again:
I have a Yaesu VX-150 handheld radio. It has a 5 watt output, and I have a mag-mount antenna on my car. There are about 7 repeaters that I can go thru on my 45 min drive to work and I usually jaw with others on there daily.  Excellent commo. This setup (radio/ant/hand mike) cost me less than $200.  I studied for the liscense and passed the first time (technician only).  If you want, you can learn morse code and talk on the HF bands (these are capable of working stations around the world).  
I've talked thru satellites on my radio, used computers (packet radio)..... possibilites are endless.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Blaze,
 How bout you get 2 tin cans and about 15 miles of string. That should solve your coverage issues! :)

Love ya bro,

Uncle Goosey
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Well Goose,

I'm seriously considering carrier pigeons.  We could stock up on a lot of them and if push comes to shove they could leave trails of shit for others to follow.

Back atcha wit the love !!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought HAM radio wasn't supposed to be used for business communications of any kind, not even in the event of an emergency.  I know theyre's ITU Resolution 640, but that's only for third party relaying of messages in the event of a disaster.  Might want to check with the FCC before getting people licensed.  You also realize that HAM bands are completely public, and anyone can listen into your communications.  Scrambling of communications, not even packet data, is allowed on amateur bands.

For family disaster/emergency stuff it's priceless.  I carry my Yaesu VX-5R handheld with me just about everywhere.  I'm going to pick up a few VX-1R's to put in the family cars in the "just-in-case" pack.

For true disaster recovery, go with satellite phones.  I thought I heard that someone had just saved the Iridium network.

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top