Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2001 6:00:12 AM EDT
Wow, my first post... better make it good.

I've been browsing your (well OUR's now I guess) site for a while and I really thought it was interesting. I finally found some people with the same interests as me. It's great.

i have a lot of strong opinions and i'm sure you'll see me voicing (typing) them.

a bit about me:
live in new brunswick canada
like chevy's and hummer/humvee's. i'm saving up to buy one (humvee).

guns i like: actually i don't know *that* much about guns. Way more than my mom, but way less than you guys. 4x4's are the same way for me too, but if anyone has a q about 4x4's i'll my best to answer it. i know more about trucks than guns.

on to the serious stuff, i'll be 18 soon, and i'm intested in buying a gun. i like to get a 12 guage shotgun, preferably pump or semi-auto. what are the good brands, who make's the best ammo, accesories for it, etc.

in regards to $$$$... i'm not breaking the bank, but i don't want junk either.

i'll end this by saying that nsf jojo is cool, and i wish i could "pick up" as well as him!

OffRoad
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome, and remember, there are no stupid questions. First off, don't get any firearm on your own. Find someone, relative, neighbor, friend, to teach you the basics of safety and use.

That said, get a pump shotgun for starters. You'll learn the basics that way. Any major brand will be good, Mossberg, Remington, Winchester. Often you can find "used" ones that were never used. Buy it from someone reputable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome OffRoad
In regards to the shotgun –
What you want it to do will control your choice to a great extent.   If you are looking for a general-purpose gun, then a Remington 870 is hard top beat.   The 870 is the standard by which all other pump shotguns are judged.    IMO the price premium for a good semi-auto is not worth it, especially for a newbie with limited funds (once you get into the shooting sports you will find that you are perpetually broke).  
An 870 can be easily configured for any special purpose without breaking the bank.   What do you want to do with the shotgun?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the board.

One of the most versatile 12 gague shotguns out there has to be the Remington 870. I personally own a Remington 870 Police Magunum w/ 18" barrel. There are all sorts of accessories out there for the gun, and the gun could be configured to do anything.

It's a great deal for the price. I paid about $550 for my 870 Police Magnum fully outfitted with a side saddle, sling, and 3 shot extention. I don't know the exact differences between the Police Magnum and the Express versions of the 870, but I don't think they justify the $300 difference.

Save up $250 and go buy an 870 Express, it's an excellent gun!

Ian

[img]http://www.interworkssolutions.com/temp/shotgun.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:26:17 AM EDT
[#5]
ok. this is great.

i was figuring on the 870.

to malpaso, i'll get the traing from someone, my dad used to hunt, *100 years* ago.he's probably show me.

to ian, my name is ian too... that's a great pic, thanks, but 250us is going to be around 400 here so that's a lot.

i'll be looking at a remington 870.

remember, this is canada, i need an fac and stuff, does anyone have any hints or tricks to help with that?

OffRoad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top