Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 11:08:41 PM EDT
This just appreared on the news, and is unclassified information.

On the 1600hrs news on AM radio 2UE, Sydney, the Minister of Defence Peter Rieth, has informed the public that about 250 ADF pers that are attached on exchange to USA Mil Forces are currently involved in the Op Noble Eagle, and are curently flying CAPs (RAAF) over the USA. SAS and SF (Army) pers that are currently attached to US SEAL and SF units will deploy with them worldwide as required. Other members are attached on exchange to US Army units, will too deploy with them as required.

Meanwhile here on the homefront, our Mil Forces are on high alert, including the SAS in Perth  (article in todays paper Sydney daily Telegraph www.news.com.au), who are on standby right now for any Internal Ops as required.

We are with you, as is all the free world!
Regards, and hang in there,
1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the SitRep.  It seems that the We are learning who our real allies are.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Magic, no worries, Mate. We'll be in touch, and keep you posted.

1feral1
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
You know it does make me feel better to know that we have allies to "cover our six".  
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#4]
We've always been able to count on the Australian forces, from WWII, Vietnam, to Desert Storm.

Good on ya, 1feral1! Glad to have you lads aboard.

[b]Freedom isn't free[/b]
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
[img]http://www.inetnow.net/~kudzukid/enlemblem.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I never would have dreamed that one day the RAAF would be flying CAP over American cities for protection.  Unbelievable.  As someone said, we're finding out real quick who is and is not our friends.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope France takes note.  Yes there are people out there with BALLS enough to do what is right.  When they hit France I will not bat an eyebrow.........
Hay France  [-!-!-]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Just after I posted to this thread, I received an email from my brother-in-law. He was on a plane from Boston to Sydney for a business trip when the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon occurred. His flight was diverted to Brisbane, but he eventually reached Hamilton Island, where his meeting was scheduled. He just returned to the USA on Monday night. Here is an excerpt from his message:

"There was a piece of paper in my room stating how sorry the hotel felt for the Americans that had died and that the island was having a memorial service that evening at 6:00 pm at the All Faiths Church (the only church on the island) for any of those interested in attending.  I can’t even tell you how great the Australian people are.  I know the world cares about what happened, but the level of concern of the Australians was incredible.  All of them kept telling me how bad they felt for America.  Every news channel was regarding what had happened.

Then I got a phone call and it was the Australian Federal Police.  They asked if they could come up to my room and talk to me.  They told me that they flew over from the mainland just to talk to me.  I was the only person on my flight that was ultimately heading to Hamilton Island.  I could not understand why they were talking to me.  One of the agents told me that they were just trying to do whatever they could, in any little way, for America.  They  told me they were tracking down every American that landed in Australia that day just to basically ask if any of us saw anything suspicious.  Obviously I could not help them but I was touched that they were making this effort for our country.

I did not have to meet up with my clients until dinner at 7:30, so I took the hotel shuttle to the memorial service at the church.  I felt like I had to do something and prayer was the best I could do.  The priest prayed for the Americans, whom he said the Australians were eternally grateful and indebted to for what we did for them in WWII.  The Church was small and filled with people, mostly Australians, but some American tourists as well.  We sang the Star Spangled Banner.  All of the Australians sang it beautiflly.  We all sang Amazing Grace as well.

Then there was a period of time where anyone who wanted to speak could do so.  Four or five Australians spoke and said beautiful things.  One of the men standing next to me just said how bad he felt for the Americans and then started crying and had to stop speaking.  The service ended after that.  I walked out of the Church with him and thanked him for what he said."
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]

That was very nice post, Mate. On the lighter side, I was near Hamilton Island a few weeks back. A good holiday, right on the Great barrier Reef. Was at a place called Brampton Island, about 80km from Hamilton.

We tried to get a day flight out from Bramton to Hamilton, but it was cancelled due to not enough people to keep the flight on. An old single engine Canadian made Otter on pontoons, just like on a re-run of the ole CBC TV program The Beachcombers, with Bruno Gerusi (for you Canucks on the site).

One day, when this war is over, and its gonna end, I look forward to a state of normality on this site. I miss it, but the world has changed, and a great job has to be done.

To you Americans, hang in their, we Downunder are thinking of you.

Regards,
1feral1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top