Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 12:15:29 PM EDT
Preface/caveat: I am a member of the reserves. WHATEVER my president/ my government asks of me, I will do, with zeal. I fully support whatever action is needed to ensure this never happens again

Everyone should take a breath and step back. YES, this is a horrific, terrible act. Yes, the guilty ones should be strung up til they is dead, dead, dead. But....

Saying witty things like "all the ragheads should die" or beliving that nothing says Love like a 100 megaton nuke in downtown Kabul, really doesn't do much to really understand the depth of the real issues here.

The prez has done some big talking. The people of this country demand revenge, and rightly so. We have whipped up the populus into a bloodthirsty frenzy. Who will you unleash your mighty military on? There is no one country responsible. Afghanistan is not the only country that gives shelter to terrorist, there are numerous others. There is no one figurehead that, once killed, solves/ends the problem/threat. So we get Osama here or kill him there. It still doesn't solve the problem of dozens, if not hundreds of cells of terrorists still operationg throuought this country and the world. I'm not saying don't kill that figurehead, but we've only scratched the surface. You're not going to solve this with B-52s, threatened invasions and saber rattling. Yes, cruise missiles have their place in the repetoire of possible responses, but...

Most Americans have no idea what coming out on top really means in regards to the true methodology that is necssary here. What is needed is a protracted operation that involves all the dirty, "wet" things that would never be spoken aloud by a US government official, unless they were accusing some other government/ entity of engaging in these brutal despicable acts themselves.

You want an idea of how it should be done? Pick up "By Way of Deception" and "The Other Side Of Deception" by Victor Ostrovsky. He was a Mossad case officer/ agent who was privy to/ or carried out many of these dark acts himself. I'm not against these tyoes of operations personaly. But it's assasinations, deep cover agent work, and things like that take time and certainly don't sate the public outvry for revenge, because frankly, we would never cop to engaging succesfully in these practices ourselves.

cont,
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Home Defense.

I think on the outset a good idea. There is definately a need for increased security. But...

There are no aramdas of boats coming across the sea and waves of planes coming to bomb us, obviously. If you really look at it, everything a terrorist needs is right here, easily purchasable in any hardware store. Just pick up a readily available Improvised Field Munition Army Manual available mail order to your front door.(I'm not against that book being available at all, I'm just pointing it out that it's there) Your not going to stop three guys from loading up a Ryder truck with 700-800 gallons of fuel oil, driving into the Holland Tunnel and lighting a match, with a B-52 raid or demands to turn over the figurehead leader. Osama may not be the guy who says "Go Blow Up The WTC" but he sure as shit got a big grin out of it. Home defense isn't going to stop those already here. They're moving freely across the border from Canada and they're in many of our hometowns! I really shouldn't have to put an exclamation point there because it should be no surprisde really. The FBI has known about these cells for years. Sleeper agents have been here for 8-10 years waiting for the word. And will act when called upon by their leader.

Even with the big civil libertarians brouhaha over the CIA's NSA's DIA'S FBI's vaunted programs Echelon and Carnivore in place, they still couldn't stop these attacks and had no ideas of the exact plan until it was over.

It's a hard road ahead and its a lot more complicated than just invading or nuking Afghanistan. That really solves nothing.

And belive me, I'm as angry as anyone, I was activated and sent in to NYC. I only spent about twelve hours at ground zero, but it was enough for a lifetime. I'd give my life to ensure it never happens again.

Sherm
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 2:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
btt
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:12:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Great, well thought-out post sherm8404. I have no doubts... WE WILL PREVAIL!

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/tylerdurden1201%2Fusa0%2Egif[/img]

Tyler
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top