Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2001 9:37:38 AM EDT
One of my classmates said this today, and as I think about it more and more, I think it may be the way it occurs:

1.  Pakistan, and some other Moslem countries pressure Afghanistan to turn over Bin Laden and (possibly) guarantee him a fair trial.

2.  Afghanistan agrees to turn over Bin Laden, and goes to "Arrest" him.  A few spear bearers (read: expendable) on either side get killed in a gunfight (Bin Laden was informed when/where he was to be arrested, and was possibly gone at the time).  They put out pictures of the dead soldiers to "prove" how hard it was to take him.

3.  Bin Laden goes into "hiding" in the caves of Afghanistan and the Taliban's troops "try" to find him, with minor, occasional skirmishes--preferably in front of CNN's cameras.  

4.  Because of the Afghani's attempts to "take" Bin Laden, the US looses international support for any potential bombing me may do in that country.  

As I said, the more I think about it, the more likely it is to occur, and the only way I can see to prevent it is to publicize the fact that we know that Afghanistan has the potential to do this, and if they cannot capture and turn Bin Laden over for trial, then they are shielding him--regardless of how "hard" they are trying to capture him.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I that is right, probably give them some time to capture him, but I think that after awhile if nothing happens then......

USA! USA! USA!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#2]
You have a good theory, but that kind of stall tactic would have worked better with Clinton or Gore.  GWB has already made it clear in the last 6 months that he doesn't much care about international opinion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Also,don't forget that Colin Powell has made it clear that the Taliban "can't separate their actions from his" or something to that effect, meaning we will bomb them anyway, since they are a host country for terrorists. [rocket]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Even if the Taliban wanted to, I am not sure if they could.  Being oppressive does not necessarily make a government "in control".  My impression is that outside of the major cities, they may not have much influence.  I wonder if it as really as one-sided as the media makes it sound.  Kind of like a mob boss with the local police in his pocket.  The Taliban has control of the government and the army, but Bin Laden has the brains and the outside influence.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
How about this
Bin laden gets killed in a airstrike or combat, becomes a marter to his cause[%(], Muslims hate the US as the evil beast and every time the birthday of Bin Laden comes around some afghan decides to play pilot
[-=(_)=-]

Sorry but no matter whats happends, its gona stink, doesnt mean he shouldnt die for his crimes, but either way this isnt going to get better. NUKE EM ALL!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://www.rense.com/1.imagesC/eagle.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top