Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 8:39:35 AM EDT
I would guess Colt is one of them.

Any others?
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Fabrique Nationale of Belgium.  They have established factories here in the US, as that is a requirement to win gvernment contract.  Beretta, ditto on the US factories.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Beretta USA supplies the majority of the handguns, although some special forces use Sigs and Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Beretta, Colt, Sig Sauer, PA handguns (no Glocks are approved for military use).

FN, Colt, and a sprinkling of others for small arms depending on the unit/branch.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt: M4
HK: SOCOM Mk23
FN: M16, M249, M240, M2
Beretta: M9
Remington: M40 (M700 customized)
Barret: M82A1
Saco Defense: M60, MK19 various other weapons

I believe Bushmaster supplies replacement parts for M16's.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#5]
NAVY SEAL USE THE SPRINGFILED M14
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NAVY SEAL USE THE SPRINGFILED M14
View Quote

Ahh, forgot about that one.  But it doesn't really belong in our list of current arms makers since M14's haven't been made in this country since 1963.  I assume, perhaps wrongly so, that we're looking to post the names of those companies which currently supply our troops so that we may support them.

[b]Side note:[/b] Springfield never made a military contract M14, only civilian M1A's.

Winchester, Harrington & Richardson and Thompson-Ramo-Wooldridge were the only manufacturers.  Production stopped on Jan 23, 1963 with about 1.3 million units made.  The military hasn't replaced any of the rifles with new ones since then.  The ones remaining are nearing the end of their service life.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Smith & Wesson supplied revolvers and shotguns.

USA! USA! USA!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard Bushmaster was making some of the M4s but that information could be incorrect.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I heard Bushmaster was making some of the M4s but that information could be incorrect.
View Quote

I thought Colt had the exclusive on this particular model of the M16.  To my knowledge Bushmaster has never supplied whole rifles only replacement parts.

But then, I could be wrong too!   I've not researched it that thoroughly. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought Colt had the exclusive on this particular model of the M16.  To my knowledge Bushmaster has never supplied whole rifles only replacement parts.

View Quote

I think Bushmaster did supply some M-4's then got sued for patent infringement by Colt. Colt has patented the M-4 feed ramp cuts, so they are the sole M-4 supplier.

I believe Bushmaster and Olympic have federal "numbers" that allow them to do business with the military, but both are inactive. Apparently smaller purchases can be made on a unit basis, and the unit can buy from approved vendors.

As far as SF they purcahse and carry what they want.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I remember somewhere on their Bushmaster's website that they did supply a small quantity, but they never bothered to make further bids because they would have to make big investments in upgrading their equipment to deliver the rifles in the time specified by the contract.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#12]
If needed anyone who can produce the weapons.  The military has Bushmaster, Olympic Arms, Armalite, colt etc.  Same specs, same gun...
[50]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Armalite supplies the US mil with a blank conversion for the MK19.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't forgot the shotguns. Mossgerg M590s and I'm sure there are at least a few Remington 870s floating around the various branches.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I have never been military (yet) but I believe I remember seeing on dicsovery that Bushmaster makes the 25mm cannon on the Bradleys
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have never been military (yet) but I believe I remember seeing on dicsovery that Bushmaster makes the 25mm cannon on the Bradleys
View Quote

Because of the names, this is a common misperception/myth. The 25mm cannon on the BFV is simply called the "Bushmaster". I believe it and similar chain guns are produced by McDonnel Douglas, now a part of Boeing. Other than sharing a name, Quality Parts, Inc/Bushmaster Firearms has absolutely nothing to with the 25mm Bushmaster cannon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
(no Glocks are approved for military use).
-SARguy
View Quote

Man, are you sure about that?
SHOOT SAFE,
HUNTER
OUT.
View Quote

Positive.  

Let me add a disclaimer... There are a few Glocks in the armories of certain elements.  But, they are not general issue and they aren;t carried into combat by any unit as a standard sidearm.  The lack of a manual safety is a no-no among other things.  The testing data favored the M9 and P226 just about dead even.  DoD chose Beretta because in a unit cost of about $15 less per weapon.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
M61A2 20mm Vulcan = General Electric Company
M134 7.62mm "minigun" = General Electric Company (?)
View Quote

well all the new miniguns are by dillion i believe
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#21]
From the Bushmaster LE website:

Bushmaster produces the highest quality AR15/M16 type rifles ans carbines manufactured in the world today.We are a U.S. Government Defence contractor-selling to the U.S. Military Forces and Governmental departments-as well as many foreign governments and armed forces. In order for us to fulfill U.S. Government contracts,we must manufacture our products to strictest U.S Military specifications.
View Quote

[url]www.bushmaster.com/le/[/url]

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/le/agencies.htm[/url]

Alex
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Man, Maremont is still building M60s and Hydramatic and H&R are still turning out M16A1s? Talk about breaking news! [:)]

Also, I don't think those OICW/OSCW things are anywhere near ready for service. Hopefully they have at least figured out how get them to stop exploding when fired, killing the operator. Maybe we should just airdrop a bunch of them into Afgahnistan for the Taliban to use.

Bushmaster maybe be correct in that they are a military contractor, but they sure do overplay it. They are really nothing more than a bit player in the defense arena, if that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saco Defense: M60
View Quote

Bushmaster made a run of about 3500 M4s during the Gulf War, which Colt objected to.  Then, the M4 contract was awarded to FN, and Colt sued and won, and now have exclusive rights to produce the M4 until 2007 or so.

-Troy
View Quote

Urban legend  Bushmaster never supplied M4s to the Government.  The have supplied parts NO M4s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top