Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2001 5:29:59 PM EDT
Can civilians get an Anthrax vaccine?  What are the side effects?  Safe for children?  Safe for pregnant women?  What level of protection does it provide?  Costs?  TIA

Tate
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Tate-

Have done my own little study regarding vaccines for anthrax, and my personal opinion is that it is in fact hazardous, especially for kids, the elderly, and would emphatically stress that no pregnant women should be innoculated. Side effects were severe joint pain, sustained fever, and even temporary paralysis as a result of healthy servicemen being treated, among others, and the actual effectiveness of the vaccine itself is in doubt. Long term side effects are still being studied. Save your money, and be smart about exposure to any chemical agents that could be introduced into a theater of conflict. Sorry I can't provide any more details, this is just something I very un-scientifically collected over a period of time, but I'm sure there's plenty of valid research to be found here in Cyberia.

Best of luck, and Semper Fi.

Arq12
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for the info.  I'm aware that avoiding exposure is the key and am also aware that we could be facing a situation in the future where we WISH that the agent had been anthrax.  Any other info from our estute members?

Tate
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
The problem is that the vaccine doesn't protect against all strains of the disease and biowar engineered anthrax comes in all different flavors.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:19:23 AM EDT
[#6]
The only person I'd give that vaccine to is Bin Laden, preferably in suppository form.  I wouldn't use it.  Stock up on penicillin or Keflex (cephalexin) tablets.  500 mg four times daily for at least two weeks is the regimen for inhalational anthrax;  there are several resources available that describe the progression of the disease and what to look out for.  

shooter
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:11:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditto on the Cephalexin... I stocked a bunch of meds for Y2K just in case...

M.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:00:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Beer Slayer-

Tate asked my opinion, and I gave it. As I stated, I did my own research, and am not in the habit of spreading "urban myths". You don't like what I say? Then show some respect if you absolutely feel like you just have to criticize. I would never categorically dismiss someone else's take with a blanket statement such as yours; but then manners and tact were stressed in my upbringing, something you obviously missed out on, you turnip.

Suck an egg.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Where can you get the anthrax vaccine? This doesn't seem like something most doctors would stock....

Also, where can you get large quantities of antibiotics?

John
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#13]
BS-

"As for manners, nothing was derogatory to you personally."

Would you have said "Stop spreading urban myths" in person, in a mixed-company conversation directly? Again, tact and manners applies, and again, you missed them both.

"I did ask you not to spread rumors..."

No, you didn't. You said "Stop spreading urban myths..." Look at it again; you didn't ask anything.

"...which was primarily what your post appeared to be based on."

Amazing. How do you know the extent of my research? That's a broad move on your part, to just assume that this is all based on hearsay. I gave no references to my research, and yet you dismiss them out of hand, attributing them to rumor. You're showing your ass, at this point, especially with the unasked for reference to GWS.

That's enough for now...Take care in choosing what you dismiss as uninformed opinion, and what you really believe to be fact; it's a dangerous leap of assumed faith in one's sense of intellect.

BTW, Fuck you. If you care to, I'll indulge you further.

Have an efficient day.

Arq12

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Had you actually done any serious research on the vaccine you would have found exactly what i have stated here. Your "own little study" i am very sure lacked any scientific observation at all. Most likely related to bullshit comments passed around the rear aid station by guys looking for an excuse to buck the system or get out of service.

Did you actually read my post? I stated your opinion is fine. But when your opinion could cause someone to die by not acting in an educated manner your opinion becomes a hazard. We have enough problems right now without some armchair commano like you getting his panties in a wad. And yes as a matter of fact i would have made that same statement to your face in mixed company if i know for a fact your information is incorrect. Nothing there was offensive except to some ignorant slob that has no idea what he is talking about.
Out of respect for tate's question i refuse to flame you here as this is an important topic that needs good info. Feel free to start a new thread and pay homage to the flame gods.
View Quote

Reread my post again, smart guy, and take your time. Sound out all the words. I took you to task over your manners, which you have reaffirmed are in fact lacking. Look for the part where I said that my methods were very unscientific, (my exact words), then do a quick scan of your own post. We're beyond the content of argument at this point, and not discussing the validity of one's observations, but your obvious dearth of any redeeming social graces. Of course, I'll let it pass if I were to receive an acknowledgement of a faux pas committed by yourself in the midst of meaningful conversation by others seeking important medical advice.

Chew on that, and start another thread yourself, if you care to. As stated, I'll indulge you further, should you so desire, but by your own admissions I think I've made my point nicely.

Au revoir...

Arq12
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#16]
ITB-

Which areas, out of curiousity? NATO, or anywhere here in the CONUS?
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top