Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2001 2:22:26 PM EDT
Godammit, this is the kind of crap I'd expect from France; but Italy?

from drudgereport/yahoo

Monday, September 17 4:05 AM SGT
Italian defence minister rules out Italian troop role
ROME, Sept 16 (AFP) -
Italian Defense Minister Antonio Martino on Sunday said Italian troops would not take part in any US retaliation after the terror attacks and that use of the term "war" was inappropriate.

"The term 'war' is inappropriate. It is not a conflict between states and Italian troops will not go anywhere," Martino told the RAI television station.

"I feel I am in a position to categorically exclude calling on the army," he said.

The defence minister warned that "nobody had better strike randomly," adding that 100,000 Italian soldiers were involved in various peacekeeping missions abroad.

He said the US would certainly take military action once the perpetrators of the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and Pentagon had been identified, and only then "will we see what we are called upon to do."

Asked about Saudi-born extremist Osama bin Laden's role in the attacks, Martino said "the idea that one man is behind this tragedy is misguided."

In an interview with the daily Il Messaggero published Sunday, Martino urged the US not to act alone in the event of a military operation.

"As was the case during the Gulf War, the idea that the United States should not act alone but should build a coalition and seek approval from the United Nations is gaining ground."

Martino said he favoured the build-up of a coalition prior to any military riposte "for the obvious reasons that by doing so the operation would be successful."

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Remember how many times Italy changes sides. They are untrustworthy as a government. Why should they be afraid, the Sicilian Mafia can protect them the same way they protected Long Island, New Jersey, and New York Docks in WWII.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Asked about Saudi-born extremist Osama bin Laden's role in the attacks, Martino said "the idea that one man is behind this tragedy is misguided.

Well no $hit that's why we are going to clean house.

Italy are WIMPS! We kicked em once why not again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Well it's not so much a refusal, but more of this UN approval crap.

We don't need any approval.  Bastards.

The UN nations are all trying to keep the US under 'their control'

This is not an approval issue.  We are going.

Follow or get out of the way.

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Turn Italy into a parking lot! Damn all Italians here in the U.S. They all must be sympathizers because they aren't apologizing for Italy for helping Bin Laden by not supporting the U.S. Wipe them all off of the face of the earth. Look at how they were one of the Axis powers in WW2. Then there is the Mafia committing crimes in America. They are all Catholics, the IRA is also Catholic. BOMB VATICAN CITY! NUKE THEM ALL NOW!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#5]
And we need Italy's support because . . . ?

Those wusses.  That's it, no more spaghetti for me!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Turn Italy into a parking lot! Damn all Italians here in the U.S. They all must be sympathizers because they aren't apologizing for Italy for helping Bin Laden by not supporting the U.S. Wipe them all off of the face of the earth. Look at how they were one of the Axis powers in WW2. Then there is the Mafia committing crimes in America. They are all Catholics, the IRA is also Catholic. BOMB VATICAN CITY! NUKE THEM ALL NOW!
View Quote

I like the way you think boy.

look at it this way, we can jettison the dead weight that won't stand beside us. We can tell the U.N. to get the hell out or tell countries such as Italy and France we no longer need their services in our alliance. Isn't it time we took out the trash?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the president's words conveyed the message that "If you're not with us, you are against us.". Now, I know that we won't take action against Italy - but those assholes better re-consider their position. Fuck any and all who oppose actions taken by our government to end terrorism.

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

look at it this way, we can jettison the dead weight that won't stand beside us. We can tell the U.N. to get the hell out or tell countries such as Italy and France we no longer need their services in our alliance. Isn't it time we took out the trash?
View Quote

Imbroglio was being sarcastic; mocking the racist comments displayed here.  You have issues.

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Hah!  

Italy will be fighting with us.

We're taking a bunch of M9s with us.

Thanks Pietro.

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Um, sarcasm is the tool of Imbroglio.

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Imbroglio was being sarcastic; mocking the racist comments displayed here.  You have issues.  And I, being italian, am offended.
View Quote

Shaking head. Why would you assume that I was not also mocking? I was also making light. I don't want the Italians nuked which is why the first sentence is by its lonesome. I should have used a smilie.

As for me having issues, sure I do and I wouldn't want it any other way. I gladly waiver my chance to be one of the hive.

I'm sure you were looking to be offended and finally found something that gave you your license to be offended. Congratulations

Why not put a call back to the motherland and
suggest they ruck up or chance they might be all alone in a terribly violent world.

My comments were not to suggest that Italians are trash btw, but anyone or country who would not bend over backwards right now for us is not our friend and should be kicked to the curb.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]
BA FONGUL!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#13]
A message to:[b]
Norway
France
Germany
Italy (now)?[/b]

anyone else?

-thanks guys, thanks for being there... As usual, America has to rely on her own... our Grandfathers' bones in half of your countries should tell you that we will indeed take care of it. By ourselves.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Isn't "Italian War Heroes" one of the shortest books ever written?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Who cares. Saves us the trouble of having to keep reinforcing whatever section of the line they might hold. I for one feel better knowing they wont be involved, same for Norway, France and whoever else doesnt want to play.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#16]
yup.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Italy is a nation in name only.  If you've been around Italians for any length of time, you are aware that they identify mainly with the region they are from e.g. I'm Neapolitan, I'm Sicilian, I'm Bolognese, etc.  Accordingly, they have small stomach for doing things of a national character like fighting in wars.  Witness the glory with which they covered themselves in the last two World Wars and their adventuring in North Africa during the 30's.  
This is not to impugn the courage of the individual Italian.  You don't have to be around them long to know that many of them are very brave indeed when fighting for individual goals, family goals, and (I would suspect) to protect their particular region.
It isn't fair, then, to compare them to the French.  The French are INCREDIBLY nationalistic.  Obnoxiously so.  Yet time and again, they shytte their pants and run when the time comes to defend France.
Oh yeah, and Italian cuisine is far and away superior to French cuisine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]
fine leave em out,

the less IOU's we get from eurpoe the better

they still havent paied us back the money they owe us from the gulf war
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#20]
i just hope that any one getting pissed at [i]any[/i] country for refusing to jump on our bandwagon has not been posting [i]against[/i] U.S. intervention policy on other threads.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#21]
How many thousands of innocent people have to be killed before Italy gives us permission to call it war?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe Mexico will jump into the fray to fill the void left by the mighty army of Italy?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds good to me!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Wait a sec, I thought Germany was standing with us.  WTF.  If this is true, then srcew 'em.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#26]
You all should know that the majority of the EU will not help Fuck 'em. We don't need them. We have the best military and they can all lick the USA's sweaty nuts. They are gonna need a good cleaning when we are don whooping ass. [-!-] the EU!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I believe I read germany is behind us, but not sending troops (I think they have the nazi belief that if they go to one country they my just keep on invading).

I think germany can be best used by invading france while we take care of obl.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#28]
They would've all gone to the ovens by now if not for us. To hell with 'em. I said from the beginning we'd be on our own. At least now we know where we stand before it starts rather than expect help and have them not show up in the middle of a battle. Pussies.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Who wants to place a bet on how supportive our NATO allies the Greeks will be?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Shit like this makes me wanna suggest changing the national anthem to "Blow Up The Outside World"-Soundgarden.[rocket]
[0j]Subvertz
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#31]
And I, being italian, am offended.
View Quote

Where, exactly in Italy is MD, stubbs?

Me, I'm just a run-of-the-mill American.....

Tate
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#32]
THAT SUCKS !!!
I AM ITALIAN BORN and I grew up in NYC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#33]
A joke to lighten the mood a little (not intended to cause offense)

Q.  Why do Italian Army tanks have 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear?
A.  In case the enemy attacks from the rear.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#34]
This is nothing new, Italy never knows which side it is on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Not to get to deep into this, but I do recall seeing more than one surplus Italian military rifle advertised as "only dropped once."
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#36]
So much for mutual protection treaties...

And no wonder the Europeans were eager to sign them.  I am sure they were expecting us to bail out there asses, but since the tables are turned, it would seem that some countries don't have the stomach for it.

Perhaps after this is over, we should reconsider our "entangling alliances," as it seems that many of our supposed allies are not willing to live up to their side of the bargain.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#37]
... or ponder this one:

Why did the Italians install rear-view mirrors on their tanks?

(so they could see the war...)

or:

Why does the New Italian Navy have glass-bottomed boats?

(so they could see the OLD Italian Navy...)

FITTER out
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Imbroglio was being sarcastic; mocking the racist comments displayed here.  You have issues.  And I, being italian, am offended.
View Quote

Whats an Italian doing in MD? Or are you American?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Why in the hell do we need Italy's approval befor we kick ass!  I say to hell with Italy, France, Russia, and any other country who feels we need their approval since it was over 5,000 Americans kill on Tuesday and not French, Italians, Russians, etc.

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#40]
It's just like in WWII The Nazi's and Italians all had the same type of "World Conquor" idea.  But the Italians where too friggin scared to fight.  Maybe they still have somthing against us, I really dont care, but they wouldnt want any of their kind to get hurt!  [>(]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I believe that my statement should be understandable because of the anger generated under the circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Dear friends, it's again me from the Mid East.

I am Italian and I am born in Rome, where I am living. So I can explain (this doesen't mean that I approve) the words of our "defence" ministry and the Italian mentality.

Aside some brave men (remember the sacrifice of the paratroop division "Folgore" in north Africa, when they faced British tanks almost with bare hands) the center-left coalition that ruled Italy for 50 years has methodically destroyed and weakened any sense of patriottism and self respect. Italians like comfortable life, like to go to holydays and like freedom. Until this costs nothing. In the case of Martino, his party is already seeing everything from the electoral point of view. If they drag blindlessly Italy in a war, he is thinking that next election (don't forget that in 50 years we had 40 elections... *SIGH*) his party is going to lose and Communists like Bertinotti & C. will rise to power. This means for me, and my sraeli wife, to emigrate and Italy to became a pro-Palestinians pro-arab country.

I suggest to wait, because facing evidences, Italy will be with us not only with words, but with everything, soldiers included. Let say that I foresee (I hope to be really wrong... of course) also terror attack in Europe, maybe here. Don't forget that in Naples, some tramps armed with old 91 rifles throw out Germans in three days...

In any case ANY PARTY IN ITALY that not fully support war against terrorism WILL NEVER GET MY VOTE ANYMORE...

Let's hope for the better. I am on your side

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#43]

HEY IMBROGLIO!
        ... ITALIAN HEROES....
   WHAT A JOKE... YOU ARE RIGHT!! THERE AREN'T ANY...THESE PEOPLE ARE GUTLESS... DAMN THEM ALL

... ONLY 1.5 MILLION ITALIAN AMERICAN MEN SERVED IN US ARMED FORCES DURING WWII. ( THE MOST OF ANY ETHNIC GROUP -10%+ OF ENTIRE FORCE.) WHERE WERE THEY IN TIME OF NEED?

... AND YOUR RIGHT! WHAT A SHORT LIST OF HEROES- ONLY 39 ITALIAN AMERICAN MEN HAVE WON THE CONGRESSIONAL METAL OF HONOR IN THE DEFENSE OF THE USA. A PATHETICALLY WEAK SHOWING.

... AND WE KNOW THERE ARE VERY,VERY FEW ITALIAN AMERICANS CURRENTLY LIVING IN NEW YORK CITY. I JUST WISH THAT THOSE FEW WOULD PITCH IN AND HELP OUT AND SHOW SOME COURAGE IN THE FACE OF THIS NATIONAL TRAGEDY. WELL ...BUT...OK  THERE IS THE MAYOR, THE CHAIRMAN OF THE NEW YORK STOCK EXCHANGE, BUT PROBABLY NO POLICE OR FIREFIGHTERS, DOCTORS, FBI.........
[:D]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#44]
I think PaoloAR15 has the makings of a true "Italian Hero".

Larry
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#45]
They are always there with there hands out for support, but I expect very little support in this for us.   Candy asses,  Who bailed them out in WWII?  Screw them...........
[%|]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Italy only joins a country when they can pick the winning side 100%, example WW2, going gets tough, lets change team!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Shaking head. Why would you assume that I was not also mocking? I was also making light. I don't want the Italians nuked which is why the first sentence is by its lonesome. I should have used a smilie.

As for me having issues, sure I do and I wouldn't want it any other way. I gladly waiver my chance to be one of the hive.

I'm sure you were looking to be offended and finally found something that gave you your license to be offended. Congratulations

Why not put a call back to the motherland and
suggest they ruck up or chance they might be all alone in a terribly violent world.

My comments were not to suggest that Italians are trash btw, but anyone or country who would not bend over backwards right now for us is not our friend and should be kicked to the curb.
View Quote

*sigh*

You are either a moron who is now lying through his teeth, or need some [i]major[/i] lessons in the fine art of sarcasm.

As for the UN, Yes, PLEASE tell them we no longer need their services.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Whats an Italian doing in MD? Or are you American?
View Quote

Jesus!

Am I sorry I posted that last sentence.  Of course I'm American.  Geez, I'll go and edit my original post.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top