Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2001 11:08:46 AM EDT
I'm really starting to wonder about this state. It's fast approaching Ca. in the Peoples Republica of category.
Get their email and fire the ceo!!

NCCI Pulls Workers' Flags
By Phil Galewitz
On a day of national mourning and prayer, a Boca Raton company had its managers confiscate some American flags from employees' cubicles, saying other workers might find them offensive.

NCCI Holdings Inc., a company that compiles workers compensation insurance data, told its 850 Boca Raton employees that displays of nationalism had no place in the office.

"Divisive statements or actions, political or religious discussions and anything else that could be divisive or mean different things to different people are not appropriate in our work environment," Chief Executive Officer Bill Schrempf said Friday in a memo to employees.

Several employees complained about the flag prohibition. One employee said she was suspended and told to go home Friday morning when she refused to remove a small flag from her desk. The company refused to confirm whether it had asked any employees to leave.

"It just boggles my mind that here in America or anywhere in America, one would be restricted from displaying it," one employee wrote in an e-mail to Schrempf that also was sent to The Palm Beach Post. "Too many people these days, including yourself, it seems, seem to forget what the flag symbolizes and that many men and women served to defend that flag. I think you should show a little more respect."

NCCI spokesman Michael Bullard said the company has a long-standing policy of prohibiting employees from bringing political or religious symbols into the workplace.
Palm Beach Gardens human resources consultant Rita Craig said companies need to understand that "right now, more than ever, people want to celebrate the fact that they're American."

"Let's face it, this is the United States. Our flag signifies our freedom," Craig said. "It's not saying that other countries are bad."

Other large Palm Beach County employers, including Delray Beach-based Office Depot and the Palm Beach County School District, allowed their workers to display the flag at their desks.

Office Depot, the company sent an e-mail to employees Thursday encouraging them to wear red, white and blue clothing on Friday, said company spokesman Lauren Garvey.

NCCI observed a moment of silence at noon Friday, gathering its workers in the headquarters' atrium. The company also has offered to help businesses affected by the terrorist attacks. The attacks at the World Trade Center and Pentagon will generate thousands of workers compensation claims.

NCCI said it was not directly affected by Tuesday's terrorist attack, though some employees lost family and friends, Bullard said.

Gov. Jeb Bush this week urged all Floridians with flags to fly them. Radio stations and various groups have urged Americans to display the flag this week as a sign of national strength and unity.

NCCI is the only Florida company named in the 2001 Best Workplace for Financial Professionals by CFO magazine in its September issue. It was singled out for its "quality of work life."

NCCI's "company practices enable each employee to create for themselves the proper balance of work and family life," CFO said.

Staff writers Dan Weil, Amy Martinez and Jeff Ostrowski contributed to this story.

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#1]
NCCI's assets should be frozen at once.  Assistance for the employees to find work WHILE being paid from the companys assets.  All holdings liquidated and donated to the vitims of this war.

Fuck NCCI. go to www.ncci.com and let them know that they are lower than scum.  The people who made the decision to take down our flag should have been the very first to die.  It is a shame to lose so many innocent AMERICANS and still have turds like this floating in our pot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
South Florida is a Liberal Cesspool. North Florida's businesses (Here in Pensacola) are proudly displaying flags and banners saying "United We Stand" and "In God We Trust" Boca Raton, appropriately named is in Palm Beach where the people are too dumb to vote. Boca Raton in English means "Rat's Mouth" or "Mouth of the Rat"
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I put this in another post - "Political Correctness at it's Worst". Here's the email address to contact Mr. Schrempf and his employees.
NOTE: Say what you will to Mr. Schrempf,(try to be polite), but remember to include support for the employees who have to work under his misguided, UNAMERICAN policies.
[url]www.ncci.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Businesses in central FL are displaying flags and some are taking up collections for aid in this time of disaster.  Not all of FL is bad.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw this story on Drudge and have done exactly what you recommend.  Since the company has its own domain, you can mail your opinion to whatever name under that domain you wish and it will be received somewhere.  Obviously the majority of people working for this company don't believe in this policy but sending to obvious higher level addresses such as [email protected], admin, or even trying [email protected] might just get to the right people.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have emailed them with some constructive critism(sp).
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I was too pi$$ed to type a letter so I sent it off to my mother and here is what she wrote - she makes me so proud:

Mr. Schrempf:

I was very surprised at the article in the Palm Beach Post newspaper regarding your company not supporting its own employees wanting to display the American flag.  Actually I was quite disappointed, not that my feelings will matter to you.

Hopefully I will not be alone in contacting you regarding how an American company, wanting to do business with Americans and wanting their money, can take a stance and not show support and loyalty to the Americans who died in this tragic horrific attack by simply allowing employees to display the American flag. Even your state governor, whose brother just happens to be President, urged companies to show support by displaying the American flag. Obviously, what your state governor feels is good for America/Americans does not matter to you.

It has been quite uplifting seeing businesses on TV, and in my city, flying our great country's flag, driving along streets filled with homes displaying the American flag and viewing cars with flags flying proudly. People who are proud to be an American, live here and work here. People who support America in times of tragedy and do so proudly.

Maybe your company would be better suited having its offices in another country that does not care about patriotism and support. Maybe those are the people you would be more comfortable doing business with, than Americans, that you appear not to be proud of being.

My disbelief at this story was overwhelming and I decided to write to you and share my feelings with nothing more than this e-mail and the one that I have sent to friends all over the United States containing the article from the Palm Beach Post.

Sincerely,

Sandra xxxxx
xxxxxxx ky.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
What a bunch of bastards!

I just wrote to them with few choice words.
Yes, it was sugar coated.

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"Divisive statements or actions, political or religious discussions and anything else that could be divisive or mean different things to different people are not appropriate in our work environment," Chief Executive Officer Bill Schrempf said Friday in a memo to employees.

View Quote

Now there is a guy that won't compromise his principles. At least not yet or since this story came out. I kind of like that in a guy whether one disagree with him or not. Not to many like that around any more. Everybody, seems to sell out too quickly nowadays.

In a way he is correct when he states that political and religious statements have the potential of being very divisive, especially in Flori Duh, the chad capital of the world.

There is however, a real irony to his statement, in that carrying out the company's policy has proven itself to be just as divisive. And that's against company policy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was too pi$$ed to type a letter so I sent it off to my mother and here is what she wrote - she makes me so proud:

Mr. Schrempf:

I was very surprised at the article in the Palm Beach Post newspaper regarding your company not supporting its own employees wanting to display the American flag.  Actually I was quite disappointed, not that my feelings will matter to you.

Hopefully I will not be alone in contacting you regarding how an American company, wanting to do business with Americans and wanting their money, can take a stance and not show support and loyalty to the Americans who died in this tragic horrific attack by simply allowing employees to display the American flag. Even your state governor, whose brother just happens to be President, urged companies to show support by displaying the American flag. Obviously, what your state governor feels is good for America/Americans does not matter to you.

It has been quite uplifting seeing businesses on TV, and in my city, flying our great country's flag, driving along streets filled with homes displaying the American flag and viewing cars with flags flying proudly. People who are proud to be an American, live here and work here. People who support America in times of tragedy and do so proudly.

Maybe your company would be better suited having its offices in another country that does not care about patriotism and support. Maybe those are the people you would be more comfortable doing business with, than Americans, that you appear not to be proud of being.

My disbelief at this story was overwhelming and I decided to write to you and share my feelings with nothing more than this e-mail and the one that I have sent to friends all over the United States containing the article from the Palm Beach Post.

Sincerely,

Sandra xxxxx
xxxxxxx ky.
View Quote

[size=3][red]GO MAMA!!!![/RED][/SIZE=3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In a way he is correct when he states that political and religious statements have the potential of being very divisive

View Quote

How in the hell is displaying the flag divisive?  The flag is not political or religious!  The flag is patriotic but NOT political or religious.  This is US of A and the flag displayed was American flag.  If the flag was Iraqi or French then it would be political but not when you are displaying American flag while in US of A!

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#13]
The governor of Florida certainly should be made aware of this pos. He is a embarrassment to the State of Florida.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I just emailed someone in charge there to get their politically correct heads out of their asses and that you should be able to fly the flag everyday. I also told them a lot of people died for that flag. I did end the email with sincerely Matthew Daugherty though. This kind of crap pisses me off!

No Slack!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm really starting to wonder about this state. It's fast approaching Ca. in the Peoples Republica of category
View Quote

GRRR You Know why this state is turning to shit?!?!?!

I'll tell ya why!  I am 23, born and raised here.   I remember when it was AWSOME around here, everyone knew each other and people were FRIENDLY and CONSIDERATE!!  Now I fucking hate it here, because the NEW YORKER rejects out number us 10 to 1.  I know this might sound in bad taste because of what happened last week, but this has nothing to do with the terroist attacks on our Country. Anyway they come down here to retire, and then want to change every thing.... I wish I had a nickel for every time I have heard "We didnt do this up north", or "Even the water is better up north".  Well if you dont like it how we do it in the South the GO THE FUCK HOME!!!!!  

Whew... I had to get that off my chest.  I dont mean to offend anyone by this post, but that is exactly what its like down here.  I am just tired of it espicially because it was so great 15-20 years ago.  I am just about ready to move to Alabama!

BTW about the guy taking the flags out of the offices is an absolute discrace, and should be put out of business.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I just heard that story tonight, I'm glad to see we got a forum topic on it.  I think its just complete bullshit.  That guy doesn't deserve to be called an American.  He should be shipped out, deported, whatever you want to call it.

Snake  [:(!]

This icon is pretty sweet:
[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:10:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Do not worry, the good folks at 'Fox and Friends', which is the morning program on Fox News, has made NCCI Holdings a household word this morning! They are taking calls from viewers on their take on this company and, to say the least, NCCI is taking a beating!

'Fox and Friends' is also giving out the fax numbers and e-mail addresses of the company.

I fear that all this might cause this company to either reassess its position, or to go to hell in a handbasket!

Eric The(ISmellA'Reconsideration'Coming,AndSomeUpperManagementChanges!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:34:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How in the hell is displaying the flag divisive?  The flag is not political or religious!  The flag is patriotic but NOT political or religious.  This is US of A and the flag displayed was American flag.  If the flag was Iraqi or French then it would be political but not when you are displaying American flag while in US of A!
View Quote

EXACTLY.  How the hell can anyone be offended by the American Flag?  If they are, they probably shouldn't be here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:49:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I just heard on the news, that they are NOW allowing the flags to be flown.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:50:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Fox news is reporting on this today.  A US representative from Georgia is going to put through a bill to ensure that the state of GA does not business with this company.

Also, fox is reporting a rumor that the company is -- are you sitting down? -- Saudi owned.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I can only hope that the events of last week mark the end of political correctness. I think people are finally getting sick of this crap.

But on another note, and I point out this is only my observation, but the local Target store in my area doesn't sell flags at all. Not American, not any other kind of flag, none. I went there looking for a small flag to fly from my car and couldn't find one. I didn't ask any employees if they had them, but I walked up and down every aisle looking for them. I didn't even see one outside the store and all the employees just wear that stupid red shirt and tan pants uniform, no ribbons, no flag pins.  Then it hit me that they are a very politically correct establishment.

[puke]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#25]
smokeycity:

Actually all stores in my area are out of flags.  I sent to K-mart, Wally World, Target, Michaels, Rag Shop, Etc. Etc. for last 4 days and they don't have a single flag anywhere because they are all sold out.  I've heard Wally World sold over 120,000 flags in 24 hours.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#26]
On the local news, a company spokesman just stated that the company had made a "big mistake" with their no flag policy and has since changed their position. The guy looked real nervous and told the reporter that they have been handing out American flags to any and all employees who want them, as well as red white and blue lapel ribbons!

He went on to say that the company has been receiving a ton of phone calls and emails that ranged from  simply upset to violent, and he hopes the new company stance will put an end to it.

Nice work to all who contacted them. Mission accomplished.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top