Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2001 9:57:31 AM EDT
OK, I remember all the debate about the Russian soldier's death and weather or not his murder was justified.  As I recall, the Taliban was involved in the Chechnyan conflict.  So in the wake of the recent terrorist acts, my question is to all the people who thought the murder was justified, what are your thoughts now.  Just trying to stir up the pot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I said it before and I'll say it again. I can think of many scenarios where this kind of atrocity can be understood. Understood, not necessarily justified. In other words, I could picture myself being driven to a point where I could do something like that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You can expect that to happen to U. S. Military if captured. These "type" people think and live on an entirely different level than we do. Many of the countries, as everyone knows, may exist in the 21st Century, but live and think like they did 2000 years ago.

You can forget about the "Geneva Convention" from this day forward.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I have watched the video in question.

I don't think it was justifiable for them to kill him.

I do recognize their reasoning. He was obviously shell shocked, or disoriented badly enough to not be able to walk himself immediately. Rather than be slowed down, they killed him.

Pretty ruthless.

_Fs
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know how anyone who is a member of a military that will carpet bomb entire cities/villages, routinely round up scores of civilians and shoot them or practice institutional rape upon the women *IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY* under the bondage of the invader can expect anything better?  I know if I went to someone's 'hood and were party to those war crimes I would consider the beheading fate fairly light knowing what I would do in the same situation.
rDAm

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains -
And the women come out, to cut up what remains
Then roll to yer rifle, and blow out yer brains
And go to yer God like a soldier!
Rudyard Kipling, "The Young British Soldier".
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
While it was brutal, at least it was quick. I can think of many worse ways to die or to be made an example of.
I don't believe that was justifiable.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I think we need to place that video up again to show people what we will be fighting. My wife does not think it's real and I'm making it up and I'd like to have it to prove to her about the scum we must kill.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
As I recall, no one could come up with a solid source for the video. Or a true motive for the killing of the individual. This could have been Kosovo, Bosnis, Slivinia, Albania or any number of places. It's very easy to conceptualize a scenario where the killing is completely justified no matter what the methodology is. There may have been no reason forthis other than murder.

How can one judge without any credible info on who/where/what it actually was?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#9]
For anyone wondering what a ground war in Afghanistan would be like, this is it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think we need to place that video up again to show people what we will be fighting. My wife does not think it's real and I'm making it up and I'd like to have it to prove to her about the scum we must kill.
View Quote

What's this "we" shit?  To volunteer anyone but yourself is pretty crappy.  I know I won't be there.  How do we know for sure who did it anyway?  I prefer to have proof before I start turning civilian villages into moonscapes.  Just me though, you are free to do as your conscience directs.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains -
And the women come out, to cut up what remains
Then roll to yer rifle, and blow out yer brains
And go to yer God like a soldier!
Rudyard Kipling, "The Young British Soldier".

Be careful out there.  I hear there are some mean cats about.
rDAm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top