Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2001 8:00:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck that shit. My M203 is heavy enough. Not trying to be a pussy or anything, but in this war "speed and mobility" is the answer. These little sons a bitches over there are gonna be quick because all they carry is a rifle ammo and water. I'm NOT carrying a fricken 25lb rifle unless it's a M240G.

(I wish I could apologise for my language, but I've switched to 'war mode')
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not carry a 1919a4 smg
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Our guys will toss them and pick up used AK's after running up and down the mountains after a few days.

Speed is everything and thoes will slow down the process.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why not carry a 1919a4 smg
View Quote

Whats this, a 1919 chambered in 9mm?

Michael
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#5]
The only weapons I've seen the terrorists armed with are AKs, RPGs, AKs....and more AKs.  

This will be a Tom Clancy style war - most of the work will be through intelligence, satellite recon, spies, etc.  The combat infantry part will be with small groups of SFs, not masses of standard infantry.  

With all the SF people who will be doing night raids the new weapon will come in handy.  Night vision is a must for night raids, and that 20mm will work well against all the trenches and caves found in that part of the world.  

I don't think the weight of it will be that big a problem since they'll do most of their traveling aboard helicopters, not marching.  Besides, these guys all probably lift weights in their spare time - so would an extra 15 pounds really make a difference?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]

cool!!  i need one of them!![:)]

Quoted:
[img]http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/storypics/4322531[/img]

Here's the link to the article describing everything else:

[url]www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/4321512[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#8]
A 25 lb. weapon?!  If we are going to issue something that heavy, why don't we just issue every man a BAR? (not kidding)
--------

Got 4895?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
If this is the same article that someone linked to, the one that listed GR1 Harriers and Panavia Tornados as aircraft in the US strike inventory, I wouldn't place much credence in the reports of OICW fielding.  The rest of the article looked like a pretty lame hatchet job as well.  

I don't know what it's like to carry a full combat ruck with weapon, and I realize that Marines lug around 80 pound packs on recon.  

As a skinny 165 wimp, though, I do know that my body deeply resents lugging a 17-18 lb Stihl 046 chainsaw for 6-9 hours on Oregon hills a day.  And I am only carrying a pack for a very small portion of that.  That OICW looks like a monstrosity, and I do not believe I would be effective with such a weapon.  

From what I have read, the Galil rifle was unpopular in spite of reliability and durability because it is heavy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Agree with Erasmus, a BAR is an outstanding firearm.  Besides Clint Smith says all that new-fangled electronic shit just goes to hell when everything hits the fan.  Look at that nifty night sight that dude is looking through; what'll happen when he gets a shit-load of mud covering that lens; just while the Afganies are atacking.  Or just guess when his batteries will run low.  KISS always.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn't the Navy retire the last of the EA6B Prowler's several years ago?  He also shows the U.S. using Tornado GR-1's, AFAIK we've never bought any of those.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Sitting Bull,I lost my voice,due to a throat irritation,but I was laughing  anyway, thanks for the pain!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
This article also claims
The US Special Forces who carry the gun will also be equipped with the hi-tech Land Warrior system.
View Quote

The article is pure BS.

The two systems are have nothing to do with each other, are not even close to being out of prototype phase, and may not ever be.

The last thing a soldier wants to be humpin' in the dirt is a 25 ilb gun and a portable Home Entertainment Eenter.  Tactics and calm will be Cable TV in the field any day of the week.

Zaz's list of probable equipment:

M16/A2
M4/203 (cool)
M249
USGI field glasses
and conviction.

And the Prolwer.  Whatever!

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A 25 lb. weapon?!  If we are going to issue something that heavy, why don't we just issue every man a BAR? (not kidding)
--------

Got 4895?
View Quote

Simple. Because the 240G kicks the shit out of the BAR. It's not even in the same ball park. Shit, it isnt even the same SPORT.

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#15]
If I was carrying that much weight I'd definitely want an M240. As for the BAR, It has a good round, but no ammunition capacity, even compared to FALs. Remember the time when your reloading you are most vulnerable. An M240 would just about eliminate that vulnerability.

Here is what I'd rather Carry:

Sopmod M4/203
H&K UMP or IMI Uzi
M9 Pistol

All That would weigh less than 1 OICW while allowing more ammunition to be carryed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top