Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2001 5:23:04 AM EDT
For a Universal??

Please say no.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I would buy a USGI for that in a heartbeat, but I have heard bad things about the Universal.

Of all the guns I have sold, I miss my carbine the most.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Good.

Was at a gunshow, and saw a Mint Universal for sale at 225.  Left for 10 min., then came back to buy, and it was gone.  Shew!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:41:28 AM EDT
[#4]
It turned out to be your lucky day.Universals suck.Parts are'nt even interchangable with GI.If you are working on a budget,put just a little more with your 225.00 and get an AK.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Universals are a bit inferior and won't interchange with GI, but I going to have to disagree with the above guys.  $225 for even a Universal in Mint condition is indeed a steal!  If anybody has one for that price I'm looking for one.  The GI's and IMI's I've seen are running $400+ and in crappy condition.

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Universals are a bit inferior and won't interchange with GI, but I going to have to disagree with the above guys.  $225 for even a Universal in Mint condition is indeed a steal!  If anybody has one for that price I'm looking for one.  The GI's and IMI's I've seen are running $400+ and in crappy condition.

View Quote

Agreed, I saw one at a Gun Show a few months back that looked like it had laid in salt water it was so rusty. They wanted $300.00 for it. It was sold within a few hours. I own a Universal that is basically "As New" that I shoot. Only problem I had was the slide binding on the wood of which was easy to correct. I shoot with USGI Magazines, no problem. I've been offered $450.00 for it (by people that don't know). Granted, it is not compatible (for the "most" part) with USGI parts. You can buy new IAI Carbines at present for around $500.00 bucks or so. USGI Carbines from $350 to $2000 (depending on condition and collector value)
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a fair price, small parts like extractor ejector pins and springs and stuff are interchangeble with GI. GunParts Corp. has every part imaginable for the Universal and all of the variants. The earlier Universals are a little better, they are the ones with the GI type safety button, the later ones have a little gearshift safety lever next to the rear sight.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#8]
A Universal carbine was the very first rifle that I bought, paid a whopping $75 for it at a discount mart.   It was a very dependable shooter, only problems that I had with it were with loose 30 round mags.  As for current prices, $225 would not be totally out of line, but then again you can put one together with a new Springfield reciever and an GI parts kit for about ~$350
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Guys;
Look at those Universal's and Iver Johnson's real close, Some of the old ones were made from all Mil parts, even some receivers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
$225 isn’t a bad price for a minty Universal but it’s still not an especially good rifle.

Iver Johnson bought out both Universal and Plainfield around 1980.  The Plainfield was a correct copy of the USGI while the Universal was not.  As I understand, Iver Johnson sold both rifles under it’s own trademark.  Iver Johson later became AMAC.  (I also faintly recall an Iver Johnson 9mm M-1 carbine being advertised.)

I’ve never heard of a USGI correct Universal, but it’s certainly possible.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Used to have a Iver Johnson and a Universal back in the '70s that were mostly, if not all Mil parts until someone liked them better than I did. Never did find out who took them.
KenS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top