Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2001 11:04:29 PM EDT
Since I haven't owned my AR for long, and I'd like to make sure I can get it back in working order if anything common were to break, I would like to know what spare parts I should buy.  Anyone have a down and dirty SHTF parts list or should I just buy a parst kit?

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
dont worry about it, just fire at 'em till it breaks and pick up one of those brand new ak47's, never fired and only dropped once!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I would just buy a spare bolt carrier group, that ought to have all the stuff in it that might fail.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#3]
If you could, another AR.  But otherwise I agree with chairborne.  1 entire extra bolt group.    If even that ist oo much, all the little parts, I would get 2 off and store seperately.

cam pin
firing bin
firing pin retainer.
extractor
extractor spring.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:37:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Competition shooters generally check and replace gas rings.  A seperated case extracter for 10 bucks would be good IMO.  This is all assuming you bought a good quality AR........people from Texas know their guns though.[sniper]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Bushmaster sells a field emeg. kit
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen very little in the way of parts failure on AR's and (in the NG) the M-16A1.  I have seen loss of small parts, especially springs, more often.  So, I'd give you two pieces of advice:
1.  [b]Don't strip the weapon past the basic field strip[/b] unless you have a good and pressing reason to do so.  If you do, do it indoors and set things up so that if any little springs go sailing out of your grasp they will land where you can find them.
2.  Buy one of the small parts survival kits from Bushmaster or the other major makers.  Buying a whole separate bolt and carrier works too, but the point of doing that is mainly to be able to drop a new bolt in if there is extractor failure or drop a new carrier in if there is a problem with the gas key instead of replacing the small part itself that failed.  An added virtue of buying the whole bolt system, I guess, is that you are back up and firing in a couple of minutes w/o the necessity of tools.  You can then repair the broken one at leisure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two ARs.
I dont need no stinking spare parts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info guys.  Another AR is definitely in the works, but I'm still paying my good friend for this one.  He's owned several, and wouldn't own any gun he didn't think would work in a SHTF situation.

Now there's just that pesky problem about not having any money because I haven't gotten paid. [:(]

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top