Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2001 8:32:56 PM EDT
I am looking for a 9mm handgun for my fiance. She likes my dad's G17 but doesn't like anything bigger. The G17 is pretty much the max size for her hands. I was wondering if anyone had a good idea for a handgun for a person with small hands.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If she has kids then you can rule out revolvers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Take her to a range where they have handgun rentals, and have her try a few Sigs, Rugers, HKs, barreta, Taurus' etc.  Then make a decision.  Glock 17 is a super piece of equipment, used by a many of PDs. Can't go wrong with any of the top brands, just personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Guncrazy, SIG 239! The single stack feels great for people with smaller hands.  Put the Hogue wrap around grip on it and its perfect. Very accurate and reliable.  Actually qualifies as a main duty gun in a lot of PDs.  Small size a tad smaller than a G19.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at kahrs as well if you want semi-auto. For revolvers something like a taurus 617 should give a lot of punch for a little money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am looking for a 9mm handgun for my fiance. She likes my dad's G17 but doesn't like anything bigger. The G17 is pretty much the max size for her hands. I was wondering if anyone had a good idea for a handgun for a person with small hands.
View Quote

Since she already likes the Glock17, how bout a Glock 19 or 26?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The very best handgun for a small woman is---- the one she picks for herself! Take her to the store,range,and to friends who have guns she may like and can try out.She will with the right advice decide what is best for her. Never buy her what you think is best,would you want someone picking all your guns for you?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hate to do it but I would answer your question with a  few questions, such as the purpose of the handgun, sport, or home defense?

Is she a shooter now and does she want to be?

I ask this because the choice of a pistol is a very personal and individual choice.  
I have trained numerous women in the use of pistols as a Police firearms instructor and can tell you that this choice is critical.

If she has small hands then single stack mag like the ladysmith might be best.

If she is looking for ease of operation and low recoil then I might suggest a .22 such as the browning buckmark, my wife loves mine and shoots very good comabt groups at 50 ft.

As I see you are in Ohio so the defensive purpose would be pretty much limited to home or office.  To this end size is less of an issue.  I would take her to a commercial range that has rental guns and let her try a variety.  I did this with my wife, who is not a cop, and we settled on my Buckmark.  She hits what she's aiming at, and I gotta tell ya, a hit with a .22 is alot better than a miss with a 9mm if her life is on the line.
View Quote

The gun she has right now is my 22 pistol. She likes shooting the 22 but I would prefer her to have something larger for self defense. She does shoot some. She isn't an addict like I am but she does like going shooting sometimes. She has a mental thing with large guns. The bigger the gun is physically, the more intimidated she gets. She doesnt like shooting a 357 with 38's in it because the gun looks to big and mean.
So this gun will be used primarily for self defense but will also possibly accompany her concealed in a few years if we ever get that privledge in OH.

WARLORD
There aren't any ranges anywhere near us that have gun rentals and she works alot on weekends so I can't even get her to a gun show to handle the guns there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Agree with ARDOC – the P239 is excellent for females.  Also agree with him (I guess he’s a him) about replacing the grip - the standard grip is narrow, making recoil a little sharp.  Just make sure your fiance’s trigger finger is long enough to get to the trigger without a problem.

A Glock may or may not work well for her.  Because of it’s light polymer grip, it is more sensitive than metal framed pistols to “limp-wristing”.  Granted, the glock’s high backstrap partially compensates for this.  If she tries out a Glock, make sure she tries firing it with one hand  - without her elbow being locked (if your range will allow it).  

A lot of women can’t handle the strong springs in Kahr’s.

I’d at least show show her a 5 shot S&W or Ruger .38 revolver – those are still excellent, simple to use handguns.

I also agree with the other posts that she needs to rent a variety of handguns and shoot them before deciding.  I always cringe when I see a female at a gunshow looking to buy based on how the gun feels in her hand or what her boyfriend/husband is telling her.      
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#11]
1st choice - Sig P239.  Still prefer the feel of a P226, but it's hard to beat this little beauty.  Controllable recoil, and fits well into a female's hands.  If cost isn't an issue, I really don't think you'll EVER go wrong with a Sig.

2nd choice - HS2000.  Have run out of all the awesome things to say about this weapon.  Physically the height of a G17 and length of the G19 to near specs, the grip is still narrower than a bulky Glocks.  Price is low, reliability is good.  With a [b]loaded 15rd magazine[/b], the gun still comes out [b]right at 2lbs[/b], lighter still than the Sig.  Plus she'll appreciate the redundant safeties.

3rd choice - S&W Sigma 9mm.

...Just kidding.  I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#12]
walther PPK

or a desert eagle.
just let her hold the handle up to her shoulder and shoot it like a rifle
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't hunt small women.  I go for size and use a rifle!  [}:D]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
get a 32cal, like a beretta tomcat, she can push a button and tip up the barrel for loading, NO need to pull back any slides. with hydra shok rounds it should be pretty potent at close range.

there is also the beretta cheetah in 380, which is slighly bigger than the tomcat but smaller than the 92, also has the tip up barrel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
First of all - let her rent lots of 'em and let her choose!  That way you get no belly achin' from her about the "gun you chose for her......".

My wife is 4'7" and 80lbs - well, 84lbs now that we've got a bun in the oven. [^]  She likes our G17's and I got her a G26 and a Keltec P32 last Christmas.  She shoots pretty well with them.  This being said, *limp wristing is an issue for her at times* with the Glocks.  She tried a S&W Airweight and did well with it - even with .357 mag - however, the one she tried had the trigger lightened substantially and smoothed by an expert smith - out of the box she could barely depress the trigger.

Good luck in your search.

Tate

[-=(_)=-]

cooool icon!  F14's are gorgeous!  Good attention to detail - even has the GE 20mm on the port side!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top