Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2001 8:27:28 PM EDT
Myself and some fellers were talkin on thursday, and somebody mentioned that the SEALs were already in use in Asia. We were discussing what was goin on and all. From my info, they are gonna take Bin Laden and Hussein both out while they're there, and that instead of stingers, they're equipped with warhead missiles. Now it seems a little bit too detailed to be fake, but i don't know.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Delta.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, don't believe a damn thing you hear. No one knows anything. Even those in the military that have connections. This is something that is going to have a very VERY tight lid. Again, no one knows DICK.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
No the SEAL's are only used in time of war. Otherwise they just go on training mission.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I can neither confirm or deny there are SEAL's in use right now.

[peep]

I have an idea, go to the nearest base and get as close as you can. Take photos and notes. Couph and make hand signals.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I sure hope so! Even if it's for gathering intel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Sending teams that far behind lines in territory which is that hostile is suicide. This is a job for infantry, and lots of it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I doubt they are renting movies and ordering pizza tonight...

Aviator  [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this really a job for the Seals. Both Afghanistan and Iraq are severley landlocked. It seems Green Berets or Rangers would be a better choice. Also, I understand there is a Mountain SF Unit. But, I'm not sure exactly what they are/do.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with cc48510 somewhat, it is pretty far inland most likely the SF would get the nod. And I'm sure the CIA is pulling out a few tricks too.[uzi]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#12]
They could have done a halo, and gathering intel as we speak,
We don't know, we're not supposed to know.
And we will prolly never know.

the tree might have fallen in the woods already,
but nobody has heard it yet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#13]
But my neighbor the SEAL told me...
Give me a break.
Read the OPSEC/COMSEC topic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is this really a job for the Seals. Both Afghanistan and Iraq are severley landlocked. It seems Green Berets or Rangers would be a better choice. Also, I understand there is a Mountain SF Unit. But, I'm not sure exactly what they are/do.
View Quote

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!

Finally someone has the common sense to see
that there are other units more trained
and equipped to handle this than Navy SEALs.

Not bad-mouthing them,I have respect for all
military personnel and operators.

Its just that you would think I was crazy
if I said that if Osama Bin Laden was on his
yact we should send in U.S. Army rangers to
swim 5 miles to his ship and mine the hull of it.

Same applies here.

See above post of mine for futher details on
who is most qualified IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#15]
IMHO this is not a job for Delta Force, either.
I don't think we'll get a nice surgical operation where we can drop in and surprise Bin Laden or the Afganis, take Osama and get out. Remember Somalia? MO is that we're going to have to kick some serious ass in order to get to him, while the surrounding nations prevent his escape. Its likely to be long and ugly, especially with winter coming on fast in the mountains.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
....Now it seems a little bit too detailed to be fake, but i don't know.
View Quote

Well, yeah, it's not as vague as some rumors, but think about it - the depth of detail is not much help.  

There have been many stories that were even more detailed and turned out to be untrue.

1. Piltdown man
2. Cold fusion
3. Self-cooling soft drink can

Lots of others, but these are ones that were fairly plausible up front - you can probalby think of other examples.

I'm not saying that you were hoaxed, it may be true.  Just that the level of details you hear doesn't give you much to hang your helmet on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No the SEAL's are only used in time of war. Otherwise they just go on training mission.
View Quote

Excellent!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...Its likely to be long and ugly, especially with winter coming on fast in the mountains.
View Quote

I suppose it wouldn't make sense for a more appropriate unit to chase him into the mountains and freeze his starving ass good.  Too many routes to cover.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.[/red][/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

FYI: Afghanistan is landlocked, Iraq isn't (although it doesn't have much of a coastline).
[img]http://www.arab.net/pix/iraq_map.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw "Three Kings."  Does that count?  [peep]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]
There is a SP unit that does Mt training/fighting.

They were in negotiations with our county commissiners to lease the county fairgrounds Jan-Feb. as HQ for a winter mountain training exercise. They were planning on using the high school baseball field as a helo pad.

I was looking forward to this as I live a block away. I wanted to get some good pics of their Blackhawks. Apaches too, though I didn't expect them to show.

I'll bet this is all rather moot because Jan-Feb they will be involved in live fire exercises. (Just my speculation, ya know.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Uhh.. I don't think the SEAL's would have those really nifty assault dune buggies if they were meant to stick to the water. Yeah, they may not specialize in mountain warfare but I'm sure still kick fair amounts of ass. Plus, they are trained to deal with cold weather situations; are the Rangers?
[0j]Subvertz
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
The 10th Mountain Division is located in Upstate New York. They are probably just irking to get into action considering the attacks were against their home state.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b]SE[/b]a
[b]A[/b]ir
and
[b]LAND[/b]

Do an [b]Air[/b] insertion to get to [b]Land[/b]
I think that about covers their mission capabilities.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#26]
    Use seal team 6.  They specialize in killing terrorists.

[50]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I think you all need to stick to talking about AR-15s. Thanks for the entertainment though.

Adam
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I think that its a good possibility all above will be used at some time or another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top