Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2001 7:33:50 PM EDT
If we can learn anything from the experience of the British and Russians against the Afgans, a series of campaigns that goes back to the 1840's, fighting the Afgan tribesman places a premium on the following:

Individual rifle marksmanship
Small unit tactics and leadership
Climbing, as opposed to marching on flat ground and paved roads.

Engagement ranges are rather long, usually quite a bit further than the oft quoted figure of 150 meters for most infantry engagements. More like 300 to even 600 meters. The Afgans like to show off their AK's but the more common weapon is the bolt action Lee Enfield. The favorite captured Russian guns were RPK's and SVD's, and the PKM GPMG because of their long range. In many respects the Russian/Afgan war was a throwback to the days of the Boer War.

How good are we at this anymore? We wont be able to send Bradleys and M1s to most places, getting HUMMVEEs in is going to be work in a lot of places. Everything is going to have to be flown in and then humped. What do you all think about this?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully there will be a lesson learned about
electing politicians who will allow out armed forces to be depleted to the point they have been.

For one thing, I was amazed to read on a site that our army is roughly 470,000.  I thought before Nam we had around 2 million, though that might have been all services combined.

Anyone know what the levels were in the early 60's?

[red][size=4] P.R.K.[/red][/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep on fighting! thoes afgans dont take POWs they did really did shity things to the russians.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Find out before hand
who is susceptible
to heat exhaustion,
altitude sickness,
or prone to attempt suicide under
stressful situations.

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Well if they will let me back in, and give me a plt, and 3 weeks to train them, we will do well. I think the army breathed a sigh of relief when I retired. I was far from popular with most of the brass. However I can and have done well in combat, I am a 45 year old vet that is trying to get back in. And I was a infantry Plt SGT in the gulf war, as well as a Bradley master gunner. I retired as a Bde master gunner. But, I want a plt. I will settle for a company, but I really want a plt. My wife is worried , but she is behind me. I will keep ya informed.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top