Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2001 9:52:50 AM EDT
anyone have experience using the accu-wedge?
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah. Got a clone at the gun show for a buck. Tightens up the upper as advertised, but I couldn't see any difference in accuracy. Makes the rear pin considerably harder to slide out. I left it in... no idea why except maybe 'cause I spent a buck on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#2]
IMHO the Accuwedge is not a very good solution for dealing with a loose upper/lower receiver problem.

What IS clear is that a loose upper/lower is not a good thing.  That space for movement between the two will just allow the receivers to grind against each other and to put more stress on the takedown pins.

Keeping the receivers nice and tight should affect accuracy because the possibility for movement of your firing platform (the upper) relative to the lower. It might not affect it appreciably, but it does.

The Accuwedge is just jamming a piece of fitted rubber between the two.  It puts more stress on the takedown pins and probably continues to allow the upper and lower start grinding against each other.  The reason is because as time passes, the rubber gets more and more compressed, thus re-introducing the looseness.

JP Enterprises sells a tensioning pin that replaces the rear take down pin.  It actually pulls the receivers together as its means of getting rid of the looseness.  This is a better solution as it actually allows one to tighten up the looseness instead of fill it.   Kind of like the difference between using caulking to fill a gab between your window and the sill when you really should have cut the sill to fit flush against the window in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
my bushmaster upper and lower seem to be pretty tight , but I bought an accu-wedge to try it out.  I agree with the person that said it makes it more difficult to engage the rear pin.  Thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#4]
With all due respect, I think the Accu-wedge is a good, cheap solution to the problem.

I have used mine for 9-10 yrs and it is tight yet. I still have to squeeze the receiver halves together to move the rear takedown pin.
The rubber may flex at the impact of recoil, but the parts would have less of a  running start to damage things ( steel pins in aluminum holes).

The JP tension pin may indeed be the best solution, but it is quite a bit more expensive. And it requires a wrench to operate.

You will not notice a difference in group size useing an Accu-wedge. And I doubt, could be wrong, you would with the JP Tension pin. That's not part of their functions.

Link Posted: 2/25/2001 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
JTG,

I'm with you! I have a Colt SP1 upper and a Oly lower. There was just a touch of play (very, very little). The 'wedge' makes it as solid as my factory Bushy. Also no noticable accuracy degradation. May I note that I've noticed NO obvious wear on either pin.

Disclaimer: Don't know about full auto. That's a somewhat different game.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Get one!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Have one. It's in my gun right now. I love it! Of course it doesn't do a thing for accuracy because whether you upper is jiggly or solid your still looking throught the sights of said jiggly/solid upper. As for stress on the takedown pins, the pins were designed to take a hell of a lot more stress than a little ol piece of rubber could impart on them. Like say the beatings it takes when being carried, used and abused out in the field. If you have a sling on your AR your upper is now being held together by merely two pins AND a piece fabric. I've had an Accuwedge in my weapon for 8 years now and it hasn't deformed or lost a bit of it's "springyness" since the day I bought it. Plus it sates that need for things to be solid and tight fitting

Sherm
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 3:46:48 AM EDT
[#8]
get a JP tensioning pin--if it did not cut my group in half i will kiss your butt--maybe just my gun but now my gun is as tight as my glass bedded M1A--you need an allen wrench and a small screwdriver to take it out--you can put both in your gunstock--this thing is worth every bit of the 30-35 bucks it costs...Dick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top