Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2001 5:33:24 PM EDT
Do you guys who own gas masks take them everywhere you go? To be of any use, you would have to, correct? Also, since a lot of the gasses these days are odorless and colorless, by the time you felt anything would it be too late? Or do you have chemical sensors of some sort as well? Are you relying on reports from the media that gas has been used? What's the deal?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
NO PHOENIX IS NOT POLLUTED LIKE LA
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, but I don't live in LA.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you sure?  I thought LA and CA were the same thing ; )
Shovelhead69, you really need to get out of the sun awhile.  LA is Lousiana.  L.A. is Los Angeles.

I'd have to say NO on the take it everywhere question.  I have enough trouble carrying my keys, pocket knife and cell phone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone clue me in on a web site that includes a critique on the Israeli masks and others available on the surplus market?

I saw this kind of information on a site earler in the year and though I was sure I had it book-marked, I'll be darned if I can find it now.  I believe it was a section of a surplus site.

Help!!

[red][size=4] P.R.K.[/red][/size=4]

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
A mask will not save you.

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The biggie nerve agents
are absorbed through the skin.

Bio agents are not
detected until after people
start turning up sick ir dead.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Start here [url]www.ASOD.org[/url]

Lot's of out of date surplus on the market.

I had another review site, but can't find it now.

Also, check out Assault Web under gear, there is a thread running there.  Basically, it will point you to the site mentioned above and sing the praises of the M-95 masks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
A mask will certainly help if:

1.  the JBT's are raiding your house and fire tear gas/CS gas in

2.  the WTC collapses nearby and the air is filled with crap ranging from smoke to asbestos

3.  your house is on fire (probably due to #1)

4.  a local chemical plant is on fire

5.  a train carrying chemicals overturns in the tunnel, ala Baltimore a month ago

6.  you know there is a poison gas cloud coming your way.  maybe post nuke strike, who knows?  If you are downwind you might have some time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I echo the same sentiments as those expressed by gardenWeasel.  For complete biological protection, a full biological resistant suit is needed to compliment your gas mask.  Here are couple of sites where you could purchase different varieties of masks.

http://www.911gear.net/

http://civiliangasmask.com/
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you sure?  I thought LA and CA were the same thing ; )
View Quote

Yeah, that what I thought too; growing up in LA and living there for 19 years. But then when we moved up to the Bay Area 21 years ago, I realized there is more to CA then hot beach babes and air you can both see and breath. I still miss SoCal. he he :)
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I echo the same sentiments as those expressed by gardenWeasel.  For complete biological protection, a full biological resistant suit is needed to compliment your gas mask.  Here are couple of sites where you could purchase different varieties of masks.

Thanks. I wonder if they have big and tall sizes?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#13]
fight4yourrights, that's good information, thanks. There are refineries nearby and if for some reason they should ever burn, it might be useful to have something to filter out all the crap. Cool.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#14]
IF thats the case what the hell am I wearing the MCU-2P for? That is during drills.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
IF thats the case what the hell am I wearing the MCU-2P for? That is during drills.
View Quote

OK.
The time to get used to working,
drinking,communicating
and sighting a rifle
while wearing a mask
is before you have to do it in a hostile environment.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know where to get the practice filters?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
[B]DON'T USE A GAS MASK IN A FIRE! IT WILL MELT TO YOUR FACE![/B]

It will also not help if there is a lack of O2.

Gas Masks + Fire = BAD!

If you do not believe my advise, ask any fireman about a military or civilian rated gas mask and a house fire.

_FS
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone know where to get the practice filters?
View Quote

We have been using the Israeli surplus filters as "practice" filters in our M95 and M40 masks.
They are cheap as shit and fit both masks.

Also..  snag some Banana Oil Ampules.  
They allow you to test for proper fit and seal and filtration.

If you are not going to purchase and wear MOPP gear, it might pay to invest in some cheap tyvek suits and hoods.  (very cheap)

I'm not sure how well they would work though...

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[B]DON'T USE A GAS MASK IN A FIRE! IT WILL MELT TO YOUR FACE![/B]

It will also not help if there is a lack of O2.

Gas Masks + Fire = BAD!

_FS
View Quote

The above statement is TRUE !  
Typical "gas masks" are NOT rated for fire/heat!
They also will not work in a oxygen deficient environment.  

(the MCU/2P and M95 are both made of silicone and the M40 and M17 are natural rubber composites)
(the "Evacu-8" fire egress hood WILL work though)

Speaking from quite a few years of Fire-Rescue:
Even our fire rated SCBA masks can melt in extreme heat.  
I've never seen it happen but have seen photos.

BTW:  WHERE THE FUCK IS FEMA WITH ALL OF THEIR GEAR FOR THE RESCUERS !!???????????!!!!!!!!!

Those firefighters and cops digging through the rubble are going to be condemned to a life of suffering, cancer and asbestosis with the extreme levels of asbestos exposure.  Those small paper-like surgical masks do NOT filter any of the fibers out.  

The fed.gov has really shown us that it is NOT prepared for anything.  It is truly sad.
8 years of Klinton/Gore decimated the whole Civil Defense and intelligence communities and preparation....

God Bless America !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top