Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2001 3:23:19 PM EDT
If you haven't purchased that stuff you need to get, DO IT NOW.  The less then essential bills can wait.  Once we enter a combat state you're not gonna be able to get a lot of stuff; aka think "rationing".  For example, you're never gonna be able to get IMI green tip penetrator ammmo in about another month.  Therefore any supplies, any at all, that you think that you're gonna need; GET IT NOW.  Let the wife bitch, she'll be glad you got the extra rounds when the SHTF.  That new couch and that new Toyota convertable (ARDOC take note) can definately wait.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
need more ammo.
From your standpoint,it seems you are getting ready for looting and general crime/riots.
I mean,I doubt terrorists are going to attack your house,but I do think if something big happens,looting and crime-sprees might happen.
Whatever happens,I do feel MUCH safer knowing I've got an semi-automatic,reliable,and scary looking AR-15 with enough ammo to get by in arm's reach.
should I load everything on stripper clips for now?:) some of guys are making me think about it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to ready for ANYTHING.  Almost absolutely ANYTHING.  We just don't know what the future holds.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered 1000 rounds of Southern Ammunition's "dented" ammo. I heard tht most o it is perfect, but we'll see. Gonna load all of it on stripper clips when I get it.
Now all I need is 45 ammo.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I ordered 1000 rounds of Southern Ammunition's "dented" ammo. I heard tht most o it is perfect, but we'll see. Gonna load all of it on stripper clips when I get it.

[smoke]
View Quote

how much was shipping?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[smoke]
View Quote

how much was shipping?
View Quote

It was $20 for my 1000rds of 308 and I think it's the same with the 223. they come in two 50cal G.I. boxes. Mine has all been nice stuff well worth the money.I just need my dame rifle now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I know of no one who can honestly say he/she has all the ammo or weapons they want or need. Myself included.

I'd like to think I've got plenty for just about any situation that required the use of arms.

My wish list consists of another FAL, one more case each of 5.56 and 7.62, and about ten more boxes of .40 S+W.

That oughta do me for a little while longer.

I promised my wife a new bathroom instead. Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget food and warm clothes.  Winter is coming.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sitting Bull:
Don't forget food and warm clothes.  Winter is coming.
View Quote

Yeah, I might actually have to wear jeans instead of shorts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I ordered an undisclosed number of rounds from wideners 30 minutes after the last attack, and had them on my doorstep on Friday.
If you want good cheap green tip stuff you had better order now. The good times are going to come to an end.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you have a point of contact for Wideners?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#11]
... most of "us" already have more G&A & TEOTWAWKI "stuff" than everyone else combined in our neighborhood.

... but I'm still updating my inventory.

Mostly I would guess that there won't be a radical change in the supply chain but it will become more difficult to get stuff, so:

Buy a nice reloader, water purifier, 10MW generator, rotate a health supply of batteries, buy a good dog if you don't have one (no, poodles don't count), store a good supply of anti-biotics in the fridge. A good sturdy bicycle. Staples. Extra eyeglasses. Gold. Powder & primers. Prophylactics. Multi-vitamins. Keep a practical medical emergency kid updated. Study all the worlds activities you can on the Internet. Stay well connected to friends, family & allies. Help those you trust, distance yourself from those you don't.
... and it can't hurt to pray.

OVER
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buy a 10MW generator
OVER
View Quote

You must have a very large house. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy more ammo NOW!

Don't worry about attacks by mutant biker terrorist ninja turtles, worry about the laws your CongressCritters are about to pass restricting sales of "terrorism supplies" to law enforcement & military only.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Have to agree with MEF. I doubt any staples will be used up because of direct contact with terrorists. (But you never know!)

I would say the most immediate threats are:

A: Anti Terrorist laws being passed
B: Panic buying due to additional terrorist attacks
C: Rationing
D: Shortages
E: Opportunistic Civil Disturbances (i.e. LA Riots)

Just my .02

_FS
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Staples?!? WTF good are they.  I'd rather have a good chain saw then a bunch of staples.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
WWW.WIDENERS.COM
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Get a second heating oil tank for your basement and fill them both up. You will be able to go twice as long b/t fill-ups and the oil will be cheaper.

Also, 'bout them generators, have a double-throw switch installed by an electrician. Makes the transition to gen power much easier and safer.

I plan on doing just that. My ammo supplies will have to do me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Winston_Wolf
Were can you buy anti-biotics?  Can you order them over the net without prescriptions?
Mike
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Nomad,

I'm not worried about a crime spree or bad guys attacking my house... what does concern me is this:  What if a backpack/suitcase nuke goes off in Atlanta?  I live in Augusta 150miles away... We wont feel the direct blast impact but the fall out is gonna drift our way.

People in my area would be retreating further south to Florida.  Remember the traffic jam scene in the movie "Deep Impact"?  

I'd load up my SUV, weapons/ammo, food extra gas and start heading south.  I wouldnt shoot or run over anyone in my way, but I would feel better having the means to defend my family and means of transport for those would try to take it from me.

With that said I keep my M4 Loaded in a tactical case that also holds 10 30 round mags... I can shoot out the sunroof, problem is wife cant drive or shoot worth $hit!

M.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Re: Antibiotics
I question the worth of this recommendation.  There are a great many different antibiotics and they have different uses.  It isn't like you can just pull one off the shelf at random and gulp down a few when you feel sick and have good results.
Are you qualified to accurately diagnose?  Are you able to culture the infectious organism and identify it?  Are qualified to determine what dosage to administer and for how long?
I'm presuming that what most of the people who recommend this have in mind is keeping a big ol' bottle of some broad-spectrum antibiotic handy in case they figure a terrorist just hosed 'em down with anthrax.  Bad idea.  I've already seen the recommendation that you can buy antibiotics from veterinary supply houses on the web given here.  Bad idea, too.  Wife #1 is a veterinarian (a damned good one, too) with a Master's in Biochemistry to boot.  According to her, "doggie drugs" are NOT made to the same standards as human drugs; nor, when they are in pill/capsule form, are they in the same standard dosages as antibiotics made for human treatment. In other words, if you take a pill meant for a chihuahua it wont be enough and will be ineffective.  If you take a pill meant for a horse, you may consume a lethal overdose.  Unless you know what the standard dosages are, how will you even know the difference?
Keep first aid supplies on hand, and know how to use them.  Unless you are really, truly skilled enough to know what you are doing, leave the prescription drugs alone.
As a postscript, remember that indiscriminate use of antibiotics is what breeds antibiotic-resistant germs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top