Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2001 2:45:36 PM EDT
As a Southerner, I have often made derogatory remarks about New Yorkers.  I have always considered them to be abrasive in their manners and loud in their talk.  This week I have seen a different side to those damned Yankees though.  I like most other Americans and even most others around the world was shocked when the first pictures started coming in of the planes crashing into the World Trade Center towers and the Pentagon.  I felt ill all day as I thought of all those people who had lost their lives and of all the people still living who would grieve for them.

Then I saw all those New York firefighters and police rushing to the buildings to help.  I saw the pictures posted on the internet of these brave men and women heading up into the buildings as swarms of workers streamed down.  When the buildings came down, I had no doubt that many of these brave men and women had just lost their lives.  Every time I see those pictures of the firefighters and police, I think to myself that I am looking at a picture of someone who lost his life trying to save others.  Surely as they were going up into the inferno, they knew they were going in harms way.

I have felt great sorrow for the loses of all those Damned Yankees but then they had the gall to go and make me proud to be an American.  After the damage was done, I was sure there would be looting and rioting in the streets of New York yet I heard nothing of the sort.  Instead masses lined up to give blood, donate whatever needed, or help in the rescue efforts.  I saw the rescuers as the President came to visit them start shouting "USA, USA, USA!".  These were not people who were bowed down and beaten, these were people willing to do whatever it takes to help others they didn't even know and stand up and be counted as citizens of the greatest country that ever existed.  They make me wish (almost [:)]) that I too were a "Damned Yankee", a term they should wear with the pride I feel when I say it.

Thank you New York for giving us all something to strive for and something to look up at.  The Twin Towers may have fallen but you tower far higher than they ever did.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to admit you damn Yankees are acting a Hell of a lot like us Southern Rednecks, stick together, don't ever give up, no one can claim victory over you. You have the South behind you 100%[:D]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Even I don't like NYC. don't let it spoil your image of NY, Upstate NY in one of the gun-lovingist places around.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Whew! thought I might have to open a can of whupass![beer]    [50]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Ironically, I too have re-adjusted my thinking of the NYC people...My hat is off to these strange breed...God Bless ya'all!!!

LongIslandShooter, I can attest to what you're saying, I have relatives in Upstate NY.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I think Eric the hun said it best on Tuesday?:  "I'm a New Yorker today."  I'm proud to be a southerner, I'm proud to be a Texan, and I am by God PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!!!. Our differences, and tolerance for those differences, is what sets this great country apart from the rest of the world.  

It's fun for northerners to poke fun at southerners, and vice versa, but when it comes down to the nut-cuttin', we're all Americans.  

In Texas, we have a saying:  Remember The Alamo. Henceforth, I will be known as RNYC(Remember New York City).
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Dagger , your post was really special . I would like to show it to others as I'm sure they will be as inspired by it as I was .

God Bless America
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dagger , your post was really special . I would like to show it to others as I'm sure they will be as inspired by it as I was .

God Bless America
View Quote

I wish I could do more.  Words are cheap.  We all owe you so much for the example of what Americans are supposed to be you have set.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Your idea of a Damn Yankee and mine are different. Yankees come down South and visit. Damn Yankees come down South and stay. Big difference.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I must admitt that New York has always been on my [b]"Places I never want to visit"[/b]list.

I know all the crime and wickedness will still run rampant in the Big Apple but I obviously made a mistake when I mistook New Yorkers for an overall obnoxious bunch of snots.

My bad!

The love, support and sacrifice you New Yorkers and folks from Jersey and other northern states have made recently is beyond words.

I salute you all and will henceforth refrain from reaching into my closet of Yankee jokes.

You people are truly wonderful.

God Bless you All!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top