Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2001 1:30:13 PM EDT
If I remember correctly, one can sign up for the first time until age 34. Is this correct?

Also, if anyone has personal experience concerning this, is there a way to go "officer" rather than enlisted? Let's say you've got two college degrees, run your own business, and served in the legislature for a term? Is there a way to join as an officer...or what?

I am 32 and would join if the country needed more men.

Any answers out there?

(BTW, I can even supply my own weapon and ammo for three years if necessary) :)
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact officer recruiters for all branches that you are interested in. You may want to look into the Army Reserve National Guard OCS program. When I went through(88-89) the age limit was 31 at the time of commissioning. However depending on the needs they may(will) give you a waiver on the age limits. For the Army National Guard it is a 14 month program 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks each summer. Check with your recruiter and make sure the commission comes with federal recognition, most if not all states do. You should have no problem getting a waiver. Don't think that because it's National Guard it will be easy. I did 4 years of active duty in the USMC before I joined the Guard. OCS was a challenge and if you can complete the program you will be a better man for it. The difficulty is mainly in the length of time it takes to complete the program. Many of the officer candidates are in their early 20's which is a transitional time and over 14 months priorities change. It is also that when you are away between drills, you are preparing for the next drill in some way almost all month. To get the commission you need at least 90 semester hours of under graduate work. With your current situation I think this may be the best way to go since you won't have to be away from your family/business for extended time until you go to your branch school. If you can spare the time Go Army reserve and go to OCS at Ft. Benning for 14 weeks then onto your branch school and depending on what you pick you'll be home in less than a year.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Bud. Looks like a distinct possibility we'll be doing something big soon.

The Country may need us.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't speak for the Army, but the Officer training for the Air National Guard and AF Reserve is made up of about 80% prior service.  A lot of these are still recent college graduates in their 20s, but many are many mid-grade and even some senior NCOs who go through the program.  Anyway, many are on the higher end of the age scale and get through OK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top