Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2001 8:29:53 AM EDT
[url]abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20010915_528.html[/url]

The Associated Press

PORT ISABEL, Texas (AP) Barges rammed a bridge connecting this fishing community to South Padre Island early Saturday, killing at least two people and leaving several people missing as cars plunged into the water, officials said.
Thirteen people were rescued.

The crash toppled two 80-foot segments of the four-lane bridge, the only thoroughfare connecting South Padre to Port Isabel, said Randall Dillard of the Texas Department of Transportation.

If this was anything other than an accident, look out below.
Note the Plural "Barges"

Del(arm the civillians now)marksman [heavy]

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Tuggs often push multiple barges.

And terrorist don't mess with Texas!

Zaz

"I have given up trying to understand people in favor of mocking them."

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And terrorist don't mess with Texas!

Zaz

View Quote

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Zazou is right though. Having grown up "on the water" I can tell you it is more common to see tugs pushing two or three barges than just one.
Sounds like a coincidence to me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I just came back from that area a month ago. I was staying near Port Isabel while working on a job near the Port of Brownsville. Been across that bridge many times. It really had to be hit hard to drop a section of that bridge. Don't what kind of barge traffic goes that route as the bridge separates Padre Island from Port Isabel with basically a Lagoon on one side and the waterway to the Port of Brownsville on the other side.

PS: (Edit) But it is probably just a coincidence as barges a few years back caused an Amtrak Train to crash into a Bayou in Alabama killing numerous people. Barge traffic is extensive throughout the Gulf Coast States in and around the Inter-Coastal Waterway. I was tent camping in the Achafalaya Basin a few years back and a huge barge had somehow missed a turn in the main channel (in the middle of night with heavy fog) and ended up running aground on a sandbar in front of my campsite.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#5]
This was probably a coincidence.  Port Isabel and South Padre Island are hardly well known metropolises.  If I was a terrorist wanting to knock down a bridge, cause havoc and kill a lot of people, I would choose from:
The Golden Gate
The Oakland Bay Bridge
Any bridge connecting Manhattan to any place - the Brooklyn bridge, the Tappan Zee, the George Washington, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top