Chorus

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel,
"As ye deal with my contemners, So with you my grace shall deal;"
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel
Since God is marching on.

chorus:

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on.

Chorus

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
His truth is marching on.

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored,
He has loosed the fateful lightening of His terrible swift sword

I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps
l can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps
His day is marching on.

Chorus

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel,
"As ye deal with my contemners, So with you my grace shall deal;"
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel
Since God is marching on.

chorus:

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on.

Chorus

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

View Quote

Brings a tear to my eye!

God bless America.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]
When they sang this at the ceremony yesterday, shivers started running down my spine.

I believe the second line of the lyric is:

"He is trampling down the vineyard, where the grapes of wrath are stored"

Doesn't make sense to tramp a vintage :)
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When they sang this at the ceremony yesterday, shivers started running down my spine.

I believe the second line of the lyric is:

"He is trampling down the vineyard, where the grapes of wrath are stored"

Doesn't make sense to tramp a vintage :)
View Quote

I believe vintage is correct.

NOUN: 1. The yield of wine or grapes from a vineyard or district during one season. 2. Wine, usually of high quality, identified as to year and vineyard or district of origin. 3. The year or place in which a wine is bottled. 4a. The harvesting of a grape crop. b. The initial stages of winemaking. 5. Informal a. A group or collection of people or things sharing certain characteristics. b. A year or period of origin: a car of 1942 vintage. c. Length of existence; age.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
This is the same song Sherman's men sang while burn a wide path through Mississippi and Georgia.

Makes me mad as hell.  Perhaps I can substitute Bin Laden for Sherman, and do some good with this song.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is the same song Sherman's men sang while burn a wide path through Mississippi and Georgia.

Makes me mad as hell.  Perhaps I can substitute Bin Laden for Sherman, and do some good with this song.
View Quote

Hey dick it is "Battle Hymn of the Republic"  Our Republic not some backwards shit hole.  So crawl back under your bridge troll.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#8]
"Their lies are marching on."

QCMGR, No penis, I've crawled out waiting on the call to go to the War you'll probably watch on TV, just like the last one!

raf, "Battle Hynn of THEIR Republic" is more appropriate.  Oops, it's no longer even a Republic.  Well, it pissed off this Mississippian, as did that Islamic prayer.

Even more reason to leave out any divisive song.

But, Alabama and Mississippi are more mad at Bin Laden.

"They may be Yankees, but they're our Yankees."
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#9]
The memorial service at the National Cathedral ended with this hymn.

It sent a shiver down my spine too.  I hope the bastards who knocked down the towers realize what they have awakened.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"Their lies are marching on."

QCMGR, No penis, I've crawled out waiting on the call to go to the War you'll probably watch on TV, just like the last one!

raf, "Battle Hynn of THEIR Republic" is more appropriate.  Oops, it's no longer even a Republic.  Well, it pissed off this Mississippian, as did that Islamic prayer.

Even more reason to leave out any divisive song.

But, Alabama and Mississippi are more mad at Bin Laden.

"They may be Yankees, but they're our Yankees."
View Quote

Hey Dick,

I guess you are the only one to have been in combat.  Instead of swapping war records let me say this:

The F-Cking Civil War is over, 86 the Yankee / Rebel crap and delete your Sherman remark you nitwit.  You sound like a hillbilly with that crap.  We are Americans, all of us.  Now crawl back into your time machine and leave the past in the past. Comparing Sherman to Bin Laden what a rube!

Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Anytime, Yank!!!!!!!!!  Or, perhaps you'd like to agree to disagree on this matter?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anytime, Yank!!!!!!!!!  Or, perhaps you'd like to agree to disagree on this matter?
View Quote

OK Lets agree on this,

God Bless America!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, that song, and "My Country 'tis of thee" would be less divisive.

Although perhaps you are making a statement, not referring to the song.

P. S. There are no hills in the Mississippi Delta.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#15]
It's times like these where the "confederate" crowd really gets on my nerves.  Screw those morons...this is the UNITED States of America, NOT the Confederate States of America.  If you can't get behind the US in time of WAR, when we've been ATTACKED, and probably TEN THOUSAND Americans are dead, IMHO you're nothing but a filthy frigging traitor.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Good thing your IGNORANT, unread, opinion doesn't count!

Pick up your copy of the Constitution of the United States of America and have some one read you the definition of Treason.

It's very specific!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#18]
By the way, Rik, I'm behind US in War, waiting on the phone call to GO.  I'm just NOT behind the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone have a link to the music for this?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a grip, RIK, these two guys were 3/4 of the way to an agreement.  No offense.
View Quote

Offense accepted.  I will comment as I see fit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good thing your IGNORANT, unread, opinion doesn't count!
View Quote

Funny, I feel the same way about your opinion.  IMHO mine counts more than yours. I am sure you disagree and I couldn't care less.

Pick up your copy of the Constitution of the United States of America and have some one read you the definition of Treason.
It's very specific!
View Quote

If you were LEGALLY a traitor, I would have said it...I said IMHO you're being traitorous for being petty enough to bring up the whole idiotic Confederate issue at a time like this.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#22]
IF I'm not guily of treason, I can't be traitorous.

IF it is petty, which I obviously don't agree to, THEN it is petty to respond to.

In my not so humble opinion you are a COWARD who'll watch this war from the couch, while brave men do their part.

Despite insults hurled at their heritage, we, the Sons of the South, will rally to the colours by the tens of thousands.

If you are going to take an active part, please except my deepest, and humble apology, for branding you a COWARD.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Rik- Why do you insist on being harsh to anybody that has a different opinion than you? Stop personally attack people because they bring up XXX issue at this time. Some things need to be talked about ESPECIALLY at this time. They're playing a song that is representative of things just as bad as the WTC attack. I don't think that is appropriate at this time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In my not so humble opinion you are a COWARD who'll watch this war from the couch, while brave men do their part.

Despite insults hurled at their heritage, we, the Sons of the South, will rally to the colours by the tens of thousands.

If you are going to take an active part, please except my deepest, and humble apology, for branding you a COWARD.
View Quote

Hey Sancho, you can't say that about Rik, since he is so hot to kill I'll bet he will single handedly "whack" every "perpetrator" that he comes across.  The Pathan will tremble at the whisper of "RikWriter".  Maybe he will get his own personal "Battle of Maiwand".  Who knows what the future brings.

Another thing is why do you have to be so down on Sherman?  It's not like he was responsible for the murder, rape, pillaging, and destruction of innocent people and private property.  Ooops  There I go again. [;D]

Anyway I certainly hope that America gets through this with as much if not more freedom it had on September the 10th.  Not much hope, but I am praying.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains -
And the women come out, to cut up what remains
Then roll to yer rifle, and blow out yer brains
And go to yer God like a soldier!
Rudyard Kipling, "The Young British Soldier".

rDAm
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey Invictus, why don't you and Pancho go back to the CSA Forum at AssWeb...you can have a little circle jerk there with no fear of being interrupted by any pesky disagreement, because of course CSASharpshooter will delete anyone's post that he dislikes.
How libertarian of him.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey Invictus, why don't you and Pancho go back to the CSA Forum at AssWeb...you can have a little circle jerk there with no fear of being interrupted by any pesky disagreement, because of course CSASharpshooter will delete anyone's post that he dislikes.
How libertarian of him.
View Quote

I take it today is *NOT* the day to humor you?[;D][;D][;D]

Don't take things too personally, If I did, I might think some would wish me harm?[:O]  I just like to reciprocate the joy I receive.
rDAm

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't take things too personally, If I did, I might think some would wish me harm?[:O]  I just like to reciprocate the joy I receive.
rDAm
View Quote

You must not receive much joy.  Why don't you sell your computer and buy a fucking dog?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
rDAm
View Quote

You must not receive much joy.  Why don't you sell your computer and buy a fucking dog?
View Quote

Did you just quit smoking and/or go through a really nasty divorce?  I though I was bad off.  Woo Hoo!!!  You do provide humor to the masses.  This is a good thing, laughter is some good medicine, try it.  Besides I prefer Non-Fucking dogs, my legs are mine alone.  Peace-Love-Dope!
[:)]Have[:)]A[:)]Nice[:)]Day[:)]
rDAm
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#29]
This has degenerated into a pissing contest between rik and Invictus. Since we can't have a civil discussion, I'm locking this topic.

If you have a problem with this decision, read the forum conduct code on the first page of the the GD forum, then email ME. Don't bother GoatBoy with your problems. He has enough on his mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top