Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2001 6:51:45 PM EDT
I know a lot of you here aren't old enough to have kids in the service. I am. My son is in the USMC and just a week shy of being 21. When he told me he was going to be one of the few and proud I was filled with pride. We talked because I wanted him to know a day like this could come. I knew it could come and thought in my mind and heart I was prepared. I'm not. His mother has called me (twice), having the same worries. My father served as a Marine in WWII and my mother has called a few times also asking about my son. She never gets past the first few words before she breaks down and cries, and then apologizes saying it's because she lost so many friends who served in the last world war. I freely admit I too am afraid of what might happen.

I know that if my son faces the ultimate test he will do so with honor. Those of you who face the prospect of sending your sons and daughters in harms way, know that you are not alone. And to those of you who will go, know that you will be in our prayers and thoughts every moment of every day until you return safely home.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one nephew in the Marine Corps and a niece in the USAF...not sons and daughters, but I still worry about them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#2]
This isn't quite the same thing but my wife started crying Tuesday night and hung onto me asking what kind of world did we bring our son into? [:(]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Your son was brought into a world that our President promises to forever purge terrorism, to make free and safe for our children. Let us all Pray that this evil is destoyed forever...
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Understand,pthfndr. Am ex-marine, two kids in high school. My fear: That we will not do this to the degree required and my kids will be over there in a few more years fighting a stronger, better armed and more determined enemy. I have no doubt that if we do a half-ass job here that the islamic nations will use the interim to arm to the teeth. After all, they have plenty of money. When better armed they will plan an even more devastating attack on America.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Pthfnndr I am 42 years old and I have a six year old son. Sometimes I am not sure what kind of world I brought him into. He wants to be a Marine or an airman like the rest of his family. I am teaching him the two most important things in life. (1) make very good decision on your politcal leaders it does matter. (2) The U.S. is the best country in the world. God Bless your son and the other service men and women that are going to be called upon in the near future. It is people like your son that make this country America!! With out people like your son we would not be here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My son will be 7 months old next week.  I used to think that the images I would most remember about him growing up would be things like the first time he crawled, talked, walked, etc.  Well, I never would have guessed what just got added to that list.

On Tuesday morning he sat on the living room floor, his toys and happy things surrounding him, as played blissfully and discovered all the new and wonderful things about this amazing world around him.  Three feet behind him was the live television broadcast of tower 2 collapsing.

I thank god that he is too young to have to know what is going on right now.  He deserves to discover all the wonderful things in this amazing world.  The time for discovering all the dark and evil things will come soon enough, rest assured.

Don't wonder what kind of world you brought your children into.  Love them now.  Protect them now.  In time, teach them to make it the kind of world that it should be.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
You better worry about him.  He will soon be a sacrificial Lamb for the bandit state of Israel!88/14
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I have three boys. They are 9, 7, and 4. Do I worry about what kind of world I have brought them into? Sometimes. But I would rather have them in this country, that in any other. Part of that feeling is the safety and security that your son provides. Thank you and your son.
One day when one or all of my boys put on a uniform, it will be one of the proudest and scariest days of my life too. But I hope I can instill in them that they will make some other family feel safe and secure also.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
My son works next to the Pentagon, (Army), His fiance is accross the street from the Pentagon, she watched it happen. My nephew is NBC news at the Pentagon and my Best friend went to serve warrants in NYC, worried? Yup but less worried with them doing their job and we having a future.
Pray for those who serve
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
My son just had his pass-in-review (9-13-01). Yes I worry about his safety, but then I always have, a [u]Father[/u] (not a sperm donor) is always concerned about his children's well being.

I am even more worried now, in light of the what has occured recently. His chances of standing in harms way, is even greater now and has added even more grey to my hair.

The best we can do is teach them all we can and hope and pray, for their safety.

Trust that the military (what ever branch) gives them the best training they can and the tools in which they can do their jobs in the safest manner possible. I believe that the US military has no peers in it's training of it's Armed Forces. To give the best chance possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top