Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2001 3:57:14 PM EDT
I dont understand why this policy is under attack.  Its a given fact that stereotypes exist for certain crimes. Serial killers tend to be middle aged white men. Terrorist tend to of Arabic descent or as in the Oklahoma bombing, extremist white guys.  Its an undeniable truth so deal with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
People tend to see profiling as acceptable, just as long as they don't fall into one of the targeted groups.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you need to ask then there is not an answer that will satisfy you.

Profile away.  Just remember to keep an open mind when its you being profiled.

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
What they said.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm curious.

How do you feel about the antis profiling those "gun nuts" with their evil black assault rifles?

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have never been a victim of profiling you will never understand.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
As an American of Asian descent I get stereotyped everyday.  Thats fine with me, I will deal with it.  If it keeps my family and friends safer so be it.  I had a brand new corvette and because I am asian, I look young for my age.  I was crossing the Canadian border when they tagged my car and ran a dog though it and search every nook and cranny.  I asked why the border guys why they had singled me out.  They said because I raised several flags that would fit a profile. I was only delayed a few minutes, and if they catch a few bad guys, great.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]
basically... you (as a cop) are driving doewn the road, see a black male in early 20's driving a lexus and decide "hey, he's a drug dealer" and pull him over. turns out the guy is out taking his Dad's car to get washed. He did nothing illegal, he committed no crime, and was stopped, detained, (potentially harassed)and interferred with for the fact that he "looked" like a drug dealer. How did he look like one, he was young, black, and in a car "outside his range". Don't like the black analogy, okay...now you are white guy, mid thirties, driving a rusty pickup truck in neighborhood of $300,000 houses, police stop you because "you look like you are casing the area"...now you did nothing illegal, committed no crime, and were stopped, detained, (potentially harassed)and interferred with for the fact that you "looked" like a criminal. and actually you were on the way to do yard work.

Once you are stopped for "no apparant reason", and hassled when you did nothing wrong, just look out of place...you'll understand why it's wrong.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys make good points and I understand. I guess I am extremely frustrated right now.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As an American of Asian descent I get stereotyped everyday.  Thats fine with me, I will deal with it.  If it keeps my family and friends safer so be it.  I had a brand new corvette and because I am asian, I look young for my age.  I was crossing the Canadian border when they tagged my car and ran a dog though it and search every nook and cranny.  I asked why the border guys why they had singled me out.  They said because I raised several flags that would fit a profile. I was only delayed a few minutes, and if they catch a few bad guys, great.
View Quote

I had same kind of experience several years ago when driving accross the state.  I was stopped by the Highway patrol at a toll gate and was asked to pull over to the parking area.  He wanted to check my license, registration, etc. and when I asked why he said I was speeding when approching the gate.  This was a lie and was just a excuse to stop me.  After running mt tag, etc. he asked if I was carrying anything illegal in the car.  When I told him no he asked if he can search my car.  I wanted to hurry out of there but I said no. He said he could get a drug sniffing dog if I refused and I said go ahead.  Well, 5 minutes later a K-9 unit arrived and the dog sniffed the car and got nothing.  Again, the cop asked if he could search my car and again I said no.  Well, to make the long story short, he got a search warrant about 3 hours later.  He opened my trunk and said "bingo".  He found my Mini-14, MAC-90, FN FMC, tactical Rem 870, plus 5 handguns and about 3,000 rounds of ammo for all the guns.  Problem was that they were all registered to me and I was on my way to shooting range in another county.  30 minutes later he let me go but just before leaving I pulled my t-shirt up and said "I also have this one and it is registered to me too and yes I have the state CCW" and showed my cocked and locked Colt 1911 in a IWB holster.  I think he wet his pants when he realized I was carrying that pistol all that time.    
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Yobo, the tail of your car must have been draggin the ground with all that stuff. Have people ever told you that you must be smart and hard working just because youre an asian?  I always laugh when people say that!
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Well done yobo.  Planerench out
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yobo, the tail of your car must have been draggin the ground with all that stuff. Have people ever told you that you must be smart and hard working just because youre an asian?  I always laugh when people say that!
View Quote

ARDOC:

It was a 1974 Chevy Impala so it wasn't that bad [:D]  That trunk was bigger than my college dorm [:)].

Actually, I am smart and I do work hard. Did you know that I'm also very modest and look like Jet Lee.  Only kidding.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Beekeeper, I wish I could take you to work with me oneday.  Instead of take your kid to work day, take your fellow shooter!  Its only really fun sometimes though.

Shit, Yobo, you're starting another stereotype! I thought I looked like Jet Li!  Ok add 20-25 lbs. LOL

Love you guys, keep safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top