Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2001 10:15:18 PM EDT
I have a M4 rifle.  Is it safe to store the rifle upside down?  As in muzzle pointing to the floor.  I'm doing it because I want to let the oil and other stuff run down instead of staying inside the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be fine. Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it is safe, and not a bad idea.  I've read it as a recommended way to store rifles before.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Been storing mine that way for 10 years.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]
No big problem with upside down storage except it's easy to knock over your rifle.  While not likely with an M4, you certainly don’t want to ding the muzzle.

Brownells sells a cartridge shape gizmo with an O-ring that you place in the chamber when storing your rifle upright.  Supposedly it stops oil from running down the barrel and into your receiver.  

When using this thing, I’d think you would want to check for any pooled oil in the chamber before firing the rifle.  You’d also want to remember to remove it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top