Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2001 8:26:52 PM EDT
So say this all spins into a lot of the Middle Eastern countries going to war against the US and Nato.  Say that it really does become big enough to qualify as a WW III

And as we start drafting the younger guys, we start running out of people and start taking guys in their late 20's, mid thirties, and even into their 40's like happened in WWII.

Would you go for a dance in the sandpit of the world?  Would you volunteer before you got called?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]

IF NOT

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. [b]Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."[/b]              Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
YES, YES, and YES. Although I would not have to volunteer as I am still in the USN Reserves.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Uhh...I'll supply some ammo
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell yeah - But no friggin Nam rules of engagement this time.  New Rule of Engagement 1 - go out there and kick every ass you can find. Be nice to have a full load of thermite CBUs.  They were sure a nice weapon, that's probably why we only got to use them for a couple of weeks.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
i would be one of the first in line
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 4 children, and teacher 175 Jr. High students history. I would consider it an honor to risk my life for my family's safety, for my student's freedom, and my country's ideals.

...but like George Patton said, "Make the other *astard die for HIS country!"
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I talked about this very subject.
My answer to her was if they start up a draft and raise the age limit a little, then I would consider it my duty to volunteer.

Link Posted: 9/13/2001 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Of course I would go.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, If asked to join, I would go.

I would consider it an honor to fight for my country in this time of need.

If I'm not needed, I'll still do what I can from my civilian position.

Including defending the home front if necessary.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I imagine most here would do all they could.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:07:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I may go sooner than that. Just don't know if they will take me yet at my age.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I simply asked my wife, "I wonder if a war breaks out can people sign up and once it is over they are released as opposed to being locked in for X years?".

Her head spun around and said, "I know what your thinking and the answer is NO!".

So, until the time comes, we will have to wait and see who has the last word.

(Dumb question... What would be the age limit?)
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#15]
If they can use my 43 year old butt in the cockpit, I'll go. Just give me an A-10 and a flight plan.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#16]
If the Navy wants my old 52 year old ass back, I am there in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I simply asked my wife, "I wonder if a war breaks out can people sign up and once it is over they are released as opposed to being locked in for X years?".

Her head spun around and said, "I know what your thinking and the answer is NO!".
View Quote

I told my wife that I had called the Marine Corps prior service recruiter, and she got a little emotional. I just reminded her that I was a Marine when she met me, and I'm still a Marine. It's just a matter of the paperwork.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
[img]http://www.inetnow.net/~kudzukid/enlemblem.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I have found a way around the age thing.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#19]
An AR15.com Platoon?  Naw, everyone would argue everyone to death.[;)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd fly 10,000 miles to smoke a camel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#21]
In a GOD DAMN New York minute I would go!!!  It takes a lot to get me motivated at times, but there are two things I will gladly die and kill for.  One is my family and the other is what happened to [b]MY COUNTRY[/b] this last Tuesday!!

Not only would I go, but I will lie and cheat and do whatever I could to get in!!  I would be 18 with a strong back if I had to be!!

Somethings in life are more important them me...this is one of them!!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
An AR15.com Platoon?  Naw, everyone would argue everyone to death.[;)]
View Quote

No we wouldn’t [;D]

I talked to my wife about it. She didn’t like it, but knew it was pointless to argue.
If they don’t need a chopper pilot, I’ll go on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I told my wife that I had called the Marine Corps prior service recruiter, and she got a little emotional. I just reminded her that I was a Marine when she met me, and I'm still a Marine. It's just a matter of the paperwork.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
[img]http://www.inetnow.net/~kudzukid/enlemblem.gif[/img]
View Quote

Roger that!  I went to the prior service recruiter today to see what all the process involved.  I'd have to switch primary phased out MOS of comm. center to either (0200, 2300, 0300)and my three picks of Duty station would be:

1. Afghanistan
2. Iraq
3. Afghanistan

However, we agreed that I will do more justice to the country on the long term if I finish my degree.  Have free school and only 2 years to go for a BA degree.  Then it's US State Department Diplomatic Security Service.  If they don't want me, then it's Officer USMC.

Proud to serve!

BTW, I saw three newbies come in to the recruiting center and a few boots on "Recruiter's assistance" (I know, freakin babies) The newbies went 0300!  Damn that was motivating.  

I broke the "truth" down shotgun style to the Recruiter's assistance PFC's that were lied to by their Recruiting center.  It's sad, but I filled them full of career enhancing info!
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I have also talked to my wife about this and she told me that she would want me to go. She also said that she may join also as a nurse (She is a nurse right now.)But I want her to stay back and take care of my son.

I may stay in the States until the draft comes. I think there is no reason for me to go until that time. But when the draft does come I'll go to the Marines that day.

If the War start all I have to say is let the bodies hit the ground in Afghanistan!
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll be there.  I did 8 yrs in the Reserves. I'm older,fatter,and more out of shape.  But my skills are still needed, and I'll be there in a heartbeat.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't :(  I got booted from ROTC by the DOD medical review board. They also told me not to try and enlist. Fucking asthma cost me a sizable scholarship [V]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Hell yes I'd go! [%(]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#29]
If there is a war, I am there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I will fight for freedom and America here, there, anywhere I am needed. I will even go with my own weapons and ammo if I need to!
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#32]
To our AR15 female members not meant as an insult.

What we need are several PMS Battalions from one of Rush's books.
They get airdropped in behind the lines as their cycle starts, the enemy's clock gets cleaned and that's all she wrote. [:D]

I'd go if I could bring my .308 VLS. Wait, maybe I could get an M40a3.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I know war is more horrible than most of us can imagine, but to have a chance to get some payback i'd go in a second. Shoot I'd even supply most of my own gear.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I would, but unfortunately too old now to be called.

"I Have Seen The Camel"

(But I haven't rode on one yet)
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#35]

If the President, Vice President or any of the elected officials, state and federal, that are elected to lead us, is willing to really lead us and take point........  !!!! my alarm clock just went off!!!!!.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#36]
What Ripmeyer said !!!  I love that quote.  If the call goes out and they need me I'll be there. My shoulders hurt and my knees have to be babied a little but I can carry and shoot a rifle!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#37]
If we really are going to do it all the way,no UN bullshit and really start wiping these fuckers out I'll go immediatly.If the US army says I'm too old(30)to go infantry I'll join any Army that will go there and join theirs.I want a piece of this like nothing I have ever wanted in my whole life!I might go join the volunteers in Israel if they are not barred from the coalition to make the "friendly" Arab members not wet their pants at the sight of them.

sopmod

btw:Will life insurance pay off if you die in a war?
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I would go in a second.  I can bring my own gun too.

[-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-]
NUKE BIN LADEN OFF THE MAP
[-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-][-!-]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#39]
i was so pi$$ed that i almost shaved off my college hippie hair the moment i heard of the tragedy, and marched my @$$ down to the Marine rcruiting center.  and i am not even that fond of the military.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Seeing how the Military still has to stick to regulations on age limits..there might still be some "wiggle" room...
As I recall the Army never did officially prohibit hiring "indian scouts" (civilian employees performing reconaisance and some combat). [:D] Oh..they haven't done so since the Indian Wars..but I think that they still can do it.

What do you say some of us old farts give it a whirl ?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:08:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I will be joining the reserves, so if there is a war, I will be there.

God (or whoever/whatever there is) Bless America

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I served 20 years and have been retired for 10. If they want me I will go. John 54 and holding
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Show me who to smite, O lord, and they shall be Smitten!!  lay thine sword in mine hands, for the Day of Wrath is nigh...  Give unto me the reckoning of the foolish, for I will pour out hate, anger, and vengeace upon them...
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#44]
When talk of a very serious "what if" scenario came into focus my wife already knew what my answer would be.

It would be an honor and my duty to serve my country.

My lady knows me pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top