Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2001 8:14:00 PM EDT
Since not enough people like my idea of lobbing a couple of SLBM's at the responsible parties of the terrorist attack on the USA, I propose this:

We start with equal amounts of Fuel Air Explosive bombs to match the initial fuel load of the four passenger jets:

757 = 43,400 pounds of JetA fuel.
767 = 90,770 pounds of JetA fuel.
Multiply these by two each =  a total of 268,340 pounds of JetA Fuel.

Divide this by 2,000 lbs (The BLU-96 weighs in at 2,000 lbs) and we get 134,170 BLU-96 bombs.

I say we drop (to start with) 134,170 BLU-96 FAE bombs on those responsible for this attack.

When a structural engineer can come up with a destructive force equation that the two towers expended when they collapased I'll figure out an equivlant destructive device that we can use against the terrorists. (You probably won't like the "device" that will have to be used though).

FAE doing it's job........
[img]http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/~bronkhor/clmf/images/faeanim.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you need some tide to go with that mixture.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Those FAEs are a beautiful thing. I remember reading a story that during Desert Storm we dropped a REALLY BIG FAE, so big that from several miles away there were some foriegn troops, british I think that had thought they saw a nuke go off.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
They probably saw a BLU-82 go off. It is a 15,000 GP bomb that is dropped by C-130 aircraft. It is the only bomb type weapon that is delivered by an Enlisted person, the Loadmaster of the C-130.
[img]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/blu-82-1.gif[/img]
BLU-82 Commando Vault
The BLU-82B/C-130 weapon system, nicknamed Commando Vault, is the high altitude delivery of a 15,000 pound general purpose bomb from a C-130. This system depends upon the accurate positioning of the aircraft by either a fixed ground radar or onboard navigation equipment. The ground radar controller or aircrew navigator as applicable, is responsible for positioning the aircraft prior to final countdown and release. Primary aircrew considerations include accurate ballistic and wind computations provided by the navigator, and precision instrument flying with strict adherence to controller instructions. The minimum altitude for release due to blast effects of the weapon is 6,000 feet AGL.

The BLU-82 is a 15,000 pound GP bomb originally designed to clear helicopter landing zones in Vietnam. The warhead contains 12,600 pounds of GSX slurry and is detonated just above ground level by a 38-inch fuze extender. The weapon produces an overpressure of 1,000 pounds per square inch. Eleven BLU-82s were dropped during Desert Storm, all from Special Operations C-130s. The initial drops were intended to test the ability of the bomb to clear mines; no reliable bomb damage assessment exist on mine clearing effectiveness. Later, bombs were dropped as much for their psychological effect as for their destructive power.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup, those are them. Awsome or what? Wonder if they could be configured to fit a B-52? A 52 with 8-10 of those, WOW!

Anymore links to sites that have info on FAEs and their destructive ability?
BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
USNJoe, while I agree with your sentiment, your math is off by a few orders of magnitude.  268,340 pounds of fuel divided by 2,000 pounds of fuel per bomb is 134.17 bombs.

Dropping bombs out of a C-130?  The amount of ordinance that could be delivered is awe-inspiring.  Why even drop explosives when we could air drop 42,000 pounds of rubble from the World Trade Center on their heads?  That would seem fitting.  With enough flights, we could cover all of their training sites with dozens of feet of rubble.  That would be disruptive.

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Covering fire would be supplied by AC-130s, modern day flying fortresses while the 130s made their runs. Would be great video footage.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, dyslexi with math am I.
I used the number 2.
What the hell, 134,170 bombs are a nice round nukmber.
dyslexci Joe tuO!
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Who had a problem with a nuclear strike?  None here.  It's been too long.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The FAE's are the BLU-95 and the BLU-96.  Instead of JetA they use ethylene oxide ( more volatile ).

WP
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I too have issues with the math. Since the planes were also destroyed you should have used the gross weight of the planes in your computations.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
How about adding up the total estimated weight of the building/planes and services (water mains, gas lines, power lines etc.) and drop the equivalent yield "device" on the perps?  Planerench out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top