Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2001 7:38:31 PM EDT
I don't understand why alot of you people don't like optics as the only sighting system on a firearm and complain when there is a lack of iron sights. Some people say dirt will get in the way, well if dirt flies on your open sights they can see right through the dirt? Or the lenses will get broken, well if some shock can break the lenses on a ACOG or ELCAN I'm very sure the same shock would destroy iron sights. I really don't understand this view that iron sights are always required on a weapon.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I look at it this way:

When your scope get cracked, when your red dot battery dies, when your tritium fades, when you optics malfunctunctions, your ole trusty iron sights will be there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny how you "have to have irons" but you don't have to have optics.

I go with one or the other.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Both, ACOG's and other dot sights allow for both to be used if needed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Most guys just want to be prepared for any eventuality, because as you know......sh*t happens
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for slowing that down Paul, now I can read it.(most of us are slow readers down here)
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Paul, thanks I never thought of that.

But what if you can only have one or the either?
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Iron. Faster and simpler to use. Have you ever had moisture on your lenses? Need I say more.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been shooting in the rain where my Reflex II was so saturated I pulled it off and switched to irons.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#10]
On a sport utility rifle like a AR or AK, I would always have iron sights, regardless of any optics. On a bolt gun I can live with just the optics.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I know that this isn't the point of this thread, but optics are great, but too often used as a crutch for a lack of marksmanship skill.  

Too often I see people putting optics on everything in their posession.  (Including handguns! Sheesh!)  Optics do indeed increase accuracy, but unless one is proficient with irons, it's kind of cheating.  Analagous to having a calculator.  If you were to ever asked to do a problem when you didn't expect it, you better hope that calculator is there...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top