Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2001 5:08:45 PM EDT
Saw them holding them during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner. Who make them and what are they?

They had cool custom hoods over the recievers, optics and barrel due to the rain.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
they are the l-85 and derivatives known by their product improvement mod numbers (l-85a1, etc.).

the brits have always been big on action covers, and optical battle sights since the adoption of the l2a2 optic system. i'll see if i can dig you up some links.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
they are the l-85 and derivatives known by their product improvement mod numbers (l-85a1, etc.).

the brits have always been big on action covers, and optical battle sights since the adoption of the l2a2 optic system. i'll see if i can dig you up some links.
View Quote

Enfield L85A1 also known as the SA-80.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#3]
CRAP...CAN'T DIG UP ANYTHING.

anyway, enfield builds the l-85. it's development was started in the early '50's. initial issue rifle experienced multiple problems and the rifle has a checkered reputation...very similar to our m-16.

during desert storm, the performance in the desert environment was poor enough for field officers to request emergency shipments of mothballed l1a1's be taken out of stores and rushed to kuwait.

there is still much scuttlebutt as to the replacement of the l-85 series.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.waffenhq.de/infanterie/enfield-sa-80.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsa-80%2Bbullpup%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG[/url]

please pardon the poor transliteration from the german!

right you are steyr. and let's not forget...this rifle was screwed up so badly that the brits decided the only way to correct the faults was to pay h&k to rework the entire stock of them!!! now THAT'S embarassing!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.army.picture-library.com/lowres/V/V00357.jpg[/img]

yup, SA-80
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Their gas system is based upon the AR-18, and they are a serious piece of junk.

Link Posted: 9/13/2001 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Their gas system is based upon the AR-18, and they are a serious piece of junk.

View Quote

They had problems, mostly handguards that broke or came apart. But they are far from being serious pieces of junk. A well thought out firearm with alot of issues, especially in extreme environments. I have not heard of any complaints with the new series.

But I do remember similar statements made about a new rifle produced by Eugene Stoner many years ago when it first debuted.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#8]
DonS- I owned an AR-18,and have seen a SA-80 taken down..

The first thing I thought was "This thing is a Bullpup AR-18? What the hell? "

Now I stand corrected.. I trusted that Armalite..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top