Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2001 1:00:42 PM EDT
Dammit, when will they learn. Freedom is eroding away as we speak.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Excite @Home. No word from them, just heard on CNN.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I work for Earthlink and i have been instructed not to talk about it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
What is Carnivore?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess you should stop posting here.  Mention the word "AR15" in the same sentance as "die Bastards", will send you to jail.

Lovely, huh?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

And yet you just did.  Being that you are in a call center where there are no customer facing servers, what would you know about this?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Its been renamed to DC11000 or something like this...basically its a windows machine that sits on the OUTSIDE of our servers...in effect (I thought) the FBi could use it to do more than just monitor email, I know now that the government could not shut down the internet - it would be too hard....the main thing about the black box is that its really designed to capture emails.  

Some one else undoubtedly has a much better explanation than what you just read.  So be it!
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell us anyway.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
never mind, I dont know anything.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
For sensitive e-mail you can always use PGP encryption, which provides encryption on the fly (you don't need to send the encrypted text as an attachment). It's free and is a great product. Of course, the guy on the other end needs your key.

By the way, it's DCS1000.

Here's a link to some of the CNN stuff

[url]www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/09/13/fbi.isps/index.html[/url]

Greenfield said EarthLink did not install any so-called "Carnivore" boxes on its servers, which the FBI uses to monitor electronic correspondences of suspected criminals.
View Quote

So, they installed it on a server outside their own network? Sounds like a Clintonism to me.

Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet you just did.  Being that you are in a call center where there are no customer facing servers, what would you know about this?
View Quote

STFU smartass, with your 145 posts, what...did you find this site yesterday?
View Quote

Whatever boy.  Found it today.  Yet I know who the real Paul308 was and why GlockCop and Drew ain't the best of friends.  Get back on the que and help some old lady with her email problem.

Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
somebody go more into this PGP thing. I'm getting interested~ how easy is it to use?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
somebody go more into this PGP thing. I'm getting interested~ how easy is it to use?
View Quote

[url]www.pgp.com[/url]

Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#15]
It used to be that you could download it free from McAfee because that was a requirement of the license, but it looks like they now want $40 for their "special" version.

Here's a link to the free version:

[url]web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html[/url]

It's easy to use and offers both privacy and authentication. It's based on the so-called "public key cryptography", which is a system where you publish a key called the "public key" for the world to see, people encrypt data they want to send you using the public key, but only you can decypher it with your private key, which is known only to you. It's probably the greatest system there is because the guy at the other end doesn't need to know your private key to send you encoded messages. Everyone sees the public key, but once encrypted, the data can only be decrypted with the secondary key, which is known only to you.

Take a look at the MIT link above. They have everything you need to get started.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]
why don't they ever learn that this is not the answer?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
David,

It seems as though you have a chip on your shoulder.  Is it because you hold such a high position at this company that you assume you have a free hand to reprimand people for answering a simple question such as "What is carnivore?"

I guess you wont want to settle this like an adult, hanging up on me?

David, anytime you feel froggy, I live in Phoenix, and I would be more than happy to indulge your delusion --after work of course.  

It does not surprise me that you have shown yourself to be such an asshole after hearing your voice on the phone.  

Anytime David.
View Quote

Name please?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
David,

It seems as though you have a chip on your shoulder.  Is it because you hold such a high position at this company that you assume you have a free hand to reprimand people for answering a simple question such as "What is carnivore?"

I guess you wont want to settle this like an adult, hanging up on me?

David, anytime you feel froggy, I live in Phoenix, and I would be more than happy to indulge your delusion --after work of course.  

It does not surprise me that you have shown yourself to be such an asshole after hearing your voice on the phone.  

Anytime David.
View Quote

Name please?
View Quote

We all chummy chummy now.  I'm a dick, Satcong took me the wrong way and it escalated.
We all better now, right?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#19]
[beer]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#20]
That was my first and last fight with a fellow American, and er...Earthlinker of course.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It used to be that you could download it free from McAfee because that was a requirement of the license, but it looks like they now want $40 for their "special" version.

It's easy to use and offers both privacy and authentication. It's based on the so-called "public key cryptography", which is a system where you publish a key called the "public key" for the world to see, people encrypt data they want to send you using the public key, but only you can decypher it with your private key, which is known only to you. It's probably the greatest system there is because the guy at the other end doesn't need to know your private key to send you encoded messages. Everyone sees the public key, but once encrypted, the data can only be decrypted with the secondary key, which is known only to you.

Take a look at the MIT link above. They have everything you need to get started.
View Quote

Should have given a more direct link.  Mattja's is as good.

[url]http://www.pgp.com/products/freeware/default.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Should have given a more direct link.  Mattja's is as good.

[url]http://www.pgp.com/products/freeware/default.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]
You can also use Safeweb to browse the web -- some of it, anyway.  It doesn't deal well with pages that use JavaScript.

http://[url]http://www.safeweb.com/[/url]

When I disable JavaScript, AR15.com's pages won't come up, so I would guess that you cannot view this site through it, although I haven't tried it.  Most sites work, though.

Also, be aware that it can cause browsers to crash, at least Netscape 4.7, no idea about any others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top