Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2001 11:18:13 AM EDT
[url]www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_397547.html?menu=news.usterrorattacks[/url]

Muslims attacked in American backlash

Dozens of anti-Muslim attacks are being reported across the United States and Canada.

Police turned back 300 marchers as they tried to march on a mosque in Chicago. Three demonstrators
were arrested.

Elsewhere in the city, a petrol bomb was thrown at an Arab-American community centre.

"I'm proud to be American and I hate Arabs and I always have," said 19-year-old Colin Zaremba, who
marched with the group from Oak Lawn.

"The terrorists who committed these horrible acts would like nothing better than to see us tear at
the fibre of our democracy and to trample on the rights of other Americans," said Illinois
Governor George Ryan.

In Huntington, New York, a 75-year-old man who was drunk tried to run over a Pakistani woman in a
shopping mall car park. Police said Adam Lang then followed the woman into a store and threatened
to kill her for "destroying my country".

Tamara Alfson, an American working at the Kuwait Embassy in Washington, spent the day counselling
frightened Kuwaiti students attending schools across the United States.

"Some of them have already been harassed. People have been quite awful to them," said Alfson, an
academic adviser to roughly 150 students.

Abu Nahidian, director of the Manassas Mosque in Virginia, said his congregation has been the
target of insults and hate messages left on the office answering machine.

A petrol bomb was also hurled at a mosque in Montreal, Canada. No one was injured in the attacks.
Several other incidents were reported in Canada, where five school children with Arabic-sounding
names were assaulted in Oakville, Ontario.

Story filed: 11:39 Thursday 13th September 2001
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it's a damn shame. [>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#2]
That's right you dumb asses.  Play right into
the terrorists hands.  Act exactly the way they
want you to.  Lose your heads, give the street
dancers something else to celebrate.

Fvcking idiots.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: That's right you dumb asses.  Play right into

Fvcking idiots.
View Quote

[size=4]Amen brother.[/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
What is the difference between us and them then if this is going to go on??????  This is not the way we need to act............
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#5]
What a3kid said......
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#6]
We're Americans damn it.  Let's act like it.  This kind of crap lowers us to their level.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#7]
This is exactly what I was attempting to get across in my [b]"ATTENTION: Please control your anger"[/b] post...

It's a damn shame, but if this crap continues, they will have surely already won!
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is the difference between us and them then if this is going to go on??????  This is not the way we need to act............
View Quote

Exactly what i was thinking.

Well Said.

Shawn
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Weren't the Brownshirts and other supporters of Hitler acting in this manner prior to WWII? This type of behavior is totally uncalled for and not the work of anyone who is thinking rationally.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I've posted this once before. I was utterly and
completely ashamed of the folks in my area on
Tuesday night.  Crazy bastards were fighting
with each other for overpriced gasoline at the
pumps like Soviet tanks were headed down the
highway after them.  I couldn't believe my eyes.

If only bin Ladin(sp?) could see ya now....
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#11]
ChrisS,

I hate to break this to you, but this is what (some) Americans have become.  Which is worse, the fact that so many panicked or the fact that fellow Americans gouged us for there own profit?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, if I see any of this BS around here, they are going to see some 55gr bullets coming at them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:29:35 AM EDT
[#13]
In a country of this size, why would this surprise anyone. Are there countries where this would never happen under any circumstances?
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:01:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Puh-lease can it with the "look what we've become" posts.  Some of you people must think history began in 1980.  People acted EXACTLY like this to German-Americans in WW1 and Japanese-Americans in WW2.
Yes, it's ugly and bad, but don't think it's unique to our time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:19:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Rik, it doesn't make it right either.  What are we if we cannot and do not better ourselves?

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rik, it doesn't make it right either.  What are we if we cannot and do not better ourselves?
View Quote

It doesn't make it right, but it also doesn't make it new or noteworthy.
And dude, get over the idea that people are anything more than people wherever they live.
Everyone is capable of the most heinous evil and the greatest good, depending on choices made in their life, no matter if they were born in Kabull or Cleveland.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#17]
The terrorists are willing to die to elicit this kind of reaction from Americans.  I for one am willing to deprive them of that gratification.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#18]
It is shamefull, but I am not surprised.  I have already received two threatening phone calls, both from payphones in my city.  One told me I should be rounded up and burned, and one said he is coming to kill me.

RikWriter, of course these things happened in the past, but I think some of us hope that we as a society have learned.  Also, many of us have never experienced this sort of thing before so it is still a bit shocking.  There is a difference between reading something in a history book and experiencing it first hand.

I just hope that reason and justice prevail in the end, and the guilty are dealt with harshly and swiftly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is shamefull, but I am not surprised.  I have already received two threatening phone calls, both from payphones in my city.  One told me I should be rounded up and burned, and one said he is coming to kill me.
View Quote

Being a well armed member of the FIREARMS community, I certainly hope you invited them over for a little backyard BBQ, AR15.COM style!  [:D]

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Being a well armed member of the FIREARMS community, I certainly hope you invited them over for a little backyard BBQ, AR15.COM style!  [:D]
View Quote

Actually, that was my intention but they both hung up before I could respond.  I'm not too worried, but it is a little disconcerting to say the least.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
RikWriter, of course these things happened in the past, but I think some of us hope that we as a society have learned.
View Quote

The only thing we learn from history is that we do not learn.---Earl Warren
As a student of history, I can't help but agree, sad as that is.

Also, many of us have never experienced this sort of thing before so it is still a bit shocking.  There is a difference between reading something in a history book and experiencing it first hand.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth.  I have been fighting back tears sporadically for days now.

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's right you dumb asses.  Play right into

Fvcking idiots.
View Quote

Just who exactly is playing and acting right into their hands? You have a way of kiling two birds with one stone. It is so subtle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I think, in all honesty, this thread should be entitled [b]'The tiniest bit of insanity is beginning.'[/b]

I mean, considering all the folks here in the United States, the incredibly small number of acts which are described certainly shouldn't be referred to as the beginning of anything worth noting.

You don't see American citizens out in front of any of the vandalized mosques, dancing and giving away candy.  There's no heavily armed Texans out in the streets firing their assault rifles into the air.

So I believe that all of us are handling this situation [u]a whole lot better than some other peoples I could mention, if YOU know what I mean[/u]!

Eric The(AndIThinkYouDoKnowWhatIMean)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ain't that the truth.  I have been fighting back tears sporadically for days now.
View Quote

You are a stronger man than I.  I lost that battle as soon as I got home from work and hugged my fiancee.

Also, sadly, that Earl Warren quotation is all too true.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Psalm 23:4 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for Thou art with me, Thy rod and Thy staff. , they comfort me."
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You say the word and I'm sure some of us would come down for a visit as long as you provide us with beers!
View Quote

Thank you brother. [beer]

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#28]
My sentiment exactly, GoatBoy.

Stay strong, Chimborazo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#29]
To sum it all up:

This is not suprising to anyone, right?  It is a damn shame, sick, and these people harassing fellow US citizens need to be shot.  But, as Rik said, this happens [i]every[/i] time the US is in a conflict.

And you think [b]this[/b] is insanity?  Hahaha.
Compared to the insanity we are going to see in the coming months/years....this is petty stuff on the "insanity" scale.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#30]
There are 300 million pissed off people in this country, and this is all that happened?

Rather than "The insanity is beginning," I would have said "Suprisingly little insanity happening."  I think if any other country had 5,000 of its innocent citizens murdered, the reaction would have been a lot worse.

To be clear, whatever has happened should be condemned.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#31]
As I said in another thread, anyone coming to hurt me or my family is going to be met with at least 11 of my copper jacketed friends and there are 20 more ready for the party.  And they should pray my wife doesn't pick up the AR.  They'd have to run far and fast for her not to put some copper jacketed lead in their ass.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This can be frightening, but I would not worry too much.  Those guys are cowards who looked in the phone book for a Muslim name, and stayed anonymous by calling from a pay phone.  Too afraid to identify themselves lest they get their butts kicked.

Still, it is not a fun thing to happen.  Stay armed and stay safe.

I will actually agree with Eric.  Considering the enormity of what has happened, the backlash has generally been limited to words.  In some other countries, innocent people would already have been slaughtered wholesale.  There are good reasons why America has stayed generally peaceful; we do have a tradition of tolerance and respect for law, and the intended scapegoats might shoot back if attacked.  Still, we should not take this for granted.  All of us have a responsibility to speak up and take other actions to protect our fellow citizens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top