Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2001 8:12:26 AM EDT
i don't know what to think about this topic.  i know mlb has not played any games this week.  the nfl just announced that they will not play this weekend.  it looks like nascar, the sec, big ten and big 12 will have events.  i can't decide what to think about the topic in general.

part of me wants to have life go on as normal as possible here in the us but another part feels like it is morbid to think about sporting events when there is so much death and destruction in nyc.

do the terrorist accomplish more if we don't go about life as much as normal as posible or at this point are the losses to great to even think about trying to score a moral victory with trying to get life back to normal?  

i can see both sides of this coin and just can decide just which is the right line of thinking to have?  anyone care to give their take on this?  maybe someone will have some words of wisdom, or a different way of looking at this issue that will help me think a little bit differently about all of this.  sloth  
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Even though I'm not a huge sports fan,  I think things should happen this weekend.  Games, races etc.  We can't let terrorists interrupt our way of life.  We can take a day or two to pause and reflect and mourn, but life goes on.

Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, they should. Games were to be played in new york. Games that could be potential targets while we're still dealing with this attack.

I'd prefer a weekend where people have time off to think about all of this. No circuses to deflect their anger.

Next weekend should be okay, just not this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I think all sporting events should be held this weekend. We need to show these terrorists that they can't destroy our way of life.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I think there are still way to many unknown variables with the terrorists and extremists right now, to want to get 20-80k people in a stadium like a bunch of sitting ducks!

Our next greatest fear, will be the radicals amongst US that want to escalate this situation in order to expedite the inevitable WW-III that very well could come of this, if not handled apropriately.  These radicals will be your neighbors and co-workers, but will use the same tactics and targets as the Islamic Terrorists.

Maybe I'm crazy, but wasn't it just last week that a black woman in Texas carved KKK into her abdoman and tried to pull a Tawanna Brawley..?

Keep your eyes open for this to be happening on a near global scale now.............
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Since terrorism is designed to upset the norm, postponing events would be giving them what they set out to do. At the same time, large crowds are asking for trouble, and not just from without. What happens when some drunk singles out someone who looks Middle Eastern. I think we need to take time to see where we are at, and to see if the military is ready by then. I personally don't want to have to choose between watching the Raiders or the Seals kicking some ass ;-)
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
First off let me say I'm not a fan of any professional sports. They just don't interest me.

Last night, at work I argued that they should go on as scheduled just to show life here hasn't been interupted by these people.

However, after reading this post: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=51284[/url] I have changed my mind.

The fact that the news stations are only showing video from blocks away from the tragedies  makes one think that everything is over and its time to start rebuilding but it is far from the truth. There is still much suffering both on the part of the victims and their families and on the part of these people that are on scene picking through the piles of debris hoping that there's a miracle behind every scrap of building material and if it means that our lives are interupted for just a few more days its a small price to pay to show the minimal amount of respect for those people.

Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I say let the activities begin.  Terrorists want to change our way of life and they have briefly.  We have reflected on this for two days and it will continue to be top on our minds whether the activities happen or not.  We need to show the world that we won't be changed from outside sources.  Our way of life will survive.  There will be no greater way of showing the world our spirit and resolve than the Star Spangled Banner being sung by tens of thousands all over the country.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]
i just read on yahoo sports that nascar, and the sec, big ten and big 12 have decieded not to conduct sporting events this weekend.  i don't know that its the right or wrong descision but it appears thats the way its going to be.  sloth
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#9]
It is about time people started realising that there is more than just bread and circuses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top