Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2001 7:53:14 PM EDT

Now mind you this is just a thought. I was thinking is this the first of many attacks that this first one was just a decoy for something even bigger.

Just think about it now all the airports right now are shut down the security at them will be low because of no flights coming in of going out. Is there now no better time then now because the U.S.. people are distracted to set something up that is bigger than what was just done.

If I was a terrorist I would use this gate way of time to set up something bigger and that will hit us harder. Like moving troops in to the U.S or taking over a few more planes while they are down.

This is just a thought tell me what you think.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Ground troops would be the final step (well, there's also NBC).  The most brutal, personal show of force.  Of course, the small force would ultimately be killed, but the price, the up close and personal attack would be unimaginable (kind of like this week, right?).

When people ask me about yesterday's events, I say "We're very lucky to be in a country where this type of thing will never happen."

I've told my wife that I wouldn't be surprised if we saw in the next 10 years there will be a ground troop terrorist attack and an NBC attack.  Both will be defeated, but at what cost?
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, what just happened allows for more "consolidated" targets in some areas.  Obvious new targets: airports, and the WTC again.  YES! AGAIN.  It would only make sense to a terrorist to now take out the surrounding areas, now depleting blood supply, MORE emergency workers, etc-- further affecting the ability of America to deal with then later attacks.  The emotional effect of this on the country would be even more intense.

I have prepared for toxin releases into water systems by buying plenty of bottled water.  I suggest you do the same.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I think we are going to see more of this and not in a few years I say months or week.

I think there next Target will be more buildings like the White House,
U.N buliding (Like I'm going to cry over that one.) Major airports and other places that we need.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
For the next few weeks or more, every little thing will make big news.  A lady left a package on the bus today, they called the bomb squad, evacuated the area, etc.

The terrorists could go small-time and still be big time in their goal to disrupt America.  Say a dozen bombs at movie theaters around the nation in one day...5 malls...sports complexes...a suicide car/truck bomb on a major bridge at rush hour...have 5 terrorists enter a medium size office building or school or tourist attraction with AK's...

...none of this is new stuff, except to us Americans.  Such things have been happening in Egypt, Israel and elsewhere for some time.

Defense is not the way to play this game.

- Robbie
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#5]
btt
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#6]
tayous1, I don't think the terrorists will try anything major for a while.

These terrorist will now sit back for a while and observe the US's reaction to this attack.  Once the shock has worn off and the US becomes complacent, the terrorists will strike again.

That is unless we kill ALL the terrorists, those who harbor and fund them, and all who encourage them!

DaMan  
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't want to give these asshole terrorists ideas so, but you guys are thinking small.  Now that they know that a fully fueled airplane is as good as a car bomb, and it requires no smuggling of explosives it will probably become the choice of attack.  If they get real serious and don't have nuclear weapons, what in this country could they target with a plane that would have the same effect??

P.S. I already know the answer...
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#8]
"Their" response will depend on our response. If we hit them hard enough right off, it may destroy their cammand and control. Remember, this is a small band, not an organized army. If we make an example of them, the next group might not be so anxious to try something similar. On the other hand, they want to see Allah, and their jihad is their motivation.

In the mean time, if you're going anywhere there's a crowd, stay alert, carry concealed and be ready to protect the innocents.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

These terrorist will now sit back for a while and observe the US's reaction to this attack.  Once the shock has worn off and the US becomes complacent, the terrorists will strike again.
View Quote

DaMan is on the money with his analysis.  The strategy he describes invokes the most fear into the hearts of US citizens because it proves that no matter what short term changes we make, they aren't enough.

I have to think bin Laden was thrilled beyond belief with his good luck when such clear and horrific videos of the planes crashing into the towers were taken and broadcast continuously on television.  It follows that he will try to maximize the impact of the next terrorist attack by making sure television cameras are present and rolling.  A major sports event like a college football game somewhere in the American heartland is a likely target.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top